Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Air Conditioners

On 2/28/2013 10:27 AM, Dottie wrote:
I have a Trane air conditioner that was installed in 2007. I did not
buy the extended warranty. I have had it checked every spring ...
and until last year there was no problem.

In April a technician came out and checked it -- spent a long time
with it and also tried very hard to sell me on letting the company
clean my dryer vents. I declined.

In June the a/c started running long periods and dripping water...
the drain pipes were not clogged... the man who came out and
diagnosed the problem said a valve was bad and that the refrigerant
was over filled. He had to order the valve - and it took several
days. He said the part rarely failed. Someone on this board told me
later that "over-filling" could cause it to fail. Anyway, it has
been working o.k. since then - until last week. (It costs me $1069
to fix). Last week it was hot and humid (Florida) and I turned it
on... it started dripping water again, same as before. I turned it
off -- the next day it was cold again and I used it to heat the
house.

Yesterday I called the company and asked them to send someone out to
check it (after making sure the part they put in was still under
warranty). I asked the name of the techie coming out and when I
found out it was the one who started this string of events I asked
her not to send him. Went to the grocery store and he was working on
an a/c one street over -- I recognized him. Anyway, my question is
-- how long should a Trane last and when does it become unwise to fix
it -- appreciate help with this. Thanks.

Trane produces very good equipment and if installed and maintained
properly should last for many years without trouble. I would definitely
be suspicious of a $1,069.00 repair bill which leads n=me to believe
the service company is taking advantage of you. I actually went to a
deposition where a friend of mine was suing a service company that
sabotaged one of his elderly mother's AC units. I repaired it for his
mother at cost which was well under the $3,000.00 price the crooks gave
her. Me and my friends in the service business don't like crooks who
take advantage of older folks. O_o

TDD