Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Outlet in a closet

Don't know if this is allowable. Would like to move my security camera
and DVR setup to a closet. No outlet in there now. This is going to be
a 20A to power the cameras' power adapter, monitor and DVR

thanks
richard
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Don't know if this is allowable. Would like to move my security camera
and DVR setup to a closet. No outlet in there now. This is going to be
a 20A to power the cameras' power adapter, monitor and DVR

Just run it off the lite.... not going to need even 2 amps, much less 20.
Use zip cord.... I mean Romex.... lol
10 min job.
Or a 1 min job if you use a screw-in bulb-outlet adapter + an extension
cord.
--
EA

thanks
richard

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 24, 10:03*am, wrote:
Don't know if this is allowable. Would like to move my security camera
and DVR setup to a closet. No outlet in there now. This is going to be
a 20A to power the cameras' power adapter, monitor and DVR

thanks
richard

Sure it's allowed. But why in the world would you need
20A for a security camera? They probably don't use that
on a camera for NBC nightly news these days.... You
should be 1 amp or so for all that you've listed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Don't know if this is allowable. Would like to move my security camera
and DVR setup to a closet. No outlet in there now. This is going to be
a 20A to power the cameras' power adapter, monitor and DVR

thanks
richard

20 amps? 20 amp breaker, 20 amp receptacle, and 12 gauge wire for that
small amount of electronics? Way overkill...unless the circuit is already
present and you just want to extend it into the closet. It's still
overkill, but if it's already nearby, then why not.

As far as whether or not an outlet is allowed in a closet, I'm pretty sure
there's an outlet in this closet.

http://www.electronichouse.com/slide...egory/5861/895
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 24, 9:56*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:
wrote:
Don't know if this is allowable. Would like to move my security camera
and DVR setup to a closet. No outlet in there now. This is going to be
a 20A to power the cameras' power adapter, monitor and DVR

thanks
richard

20 amps? 20 amp breaker, 20 amp receptacle, and 12 gauge wire for that
small amount of electronics? Way overkill...unless the circuit is already
present and you just want to extend it into the closet. It's still
overkill, but if it's already nearby, then why not.

As far as whether or not an outlet is allowed in a closet, I'm pretty sure
there's an outlet in this closet.

http://www.electronichouse.com/slide...egory/5861/895

Thanks folks. I know it is an overkill. Plan to upgrade to 16-camera
unit. Just like an extra headroom, 4 cameras @ approx. 3A per 4-
camera, that adds to 12A + DVD and monitor. Plus planning to add IR
illuminators and plenty of spare 20's already in the main breaker that
is unused.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Don't know if this is allowable. Would like to move my security camera
and DVR setup to a closet. No outlet in there now. This is going to be
a 20A to power the cameras' power adapter, monitor and DVR

thanks
richard

20 amps? 20 amp breaker, 20 amp receptacle, and 12 gauge wire for that
small amount of electronics? Way overkill...unless the circuit is already
present and you just want to extend it into the closet. It's still
overkill, but if it's already nearby, then why not.

As far as whether or not an outlet is allowed in a closet, I'm pretty sure
there's an outlet in this closet.

http://www.electronichouse.com/slide...egory/5861/895

Thanks folks. I know it is an overkill. Plan to upgrade to 16-camera
unit. Just like an extra headroom, 4 cameras @ approx. 3A per 4-
camera,

What kind of camera uses .75 amps?

that adds to 12A + DVD and monitor. Plus planning to add IR
illuminators and plenty of spare 20's already in the main breaker that
is unused.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Yes but, that 3A per 4 cameras is probably at 12 volts, or whatever the
cameras use. At 120 volts, it's probably 1/5 or 1/10 of that. I've
done high end studio cameras in a mobile unit and in a studio. Most of
those cameras, along with the control room remote unit, only dray an amp
or 2 at 120VAC.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

or 2 at 120VAC.- Hide quoted text -

I think you may have it figured out. I'll bet he's looking at
the wallwart and it says its 3A @ 12V, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert wrote:
On Feb 24, 9:03 am, wrote:
Don't know if this is allowable. Would like to move my security camera
and DVR setup to a closet. No outlet in there now. This is going to be
a 20A to power the cameras' power adapter, monitor and DVR

thanks
richard

Often the closet in one room backs up to another room
with a power outlet on the wall of the other room that
is on the opposite side of the wall that forms the
back of the closet.
It is a simple matter to branch off this outlet to
install an outlet on the closet back wall. A simple
matter of locating the "new" receptacle, and stuffing
the Romex a couple inches into the existing outlet
and attaching to the spare terminals ...
If this is the case with your setup, the job will
be an easy one.

Robert

Not if the receptacle in the other room isn't on a 20 amp circuit...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 24 Feb 2013, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Not if the receptacle in the other room isn't on a 20 amp circuit...

I think the OP wants a dedicated 20 amp for the cameras.

My licensed electrician here in NYC says outlets are not allowed in
closets. But he puts them in for me.

Nor are bare incandescent bulbs allowed. They must be covered or
fluorescent. This I do follow.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 24 Feb 2013 18:48:38 -0500, Don Wiss
wrote:

On Sun, 24 Feb 2013, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Not if the receptacle in the other room isn't on a 20 amp circuit...

I think the OP wants a dedicated 20 amp for the cameras.

My licensed electrician here in NYC says outlets are not allowed in
closets. But he puts them in for me.

What's his name so I can report him ? Just kidding... Seriously
I wonder why they don't allow them in a closet?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I think you may have it figured out. I'll bet he's looking at
the wallwart and it says its 3A @ 12V, etc.

I have installed many cameras, even the ones with 120' (yea right) IR lights
and they are max 1A at 12 volts.

OP install at least a quad and if you get into a lot of lights they make a
power distribution box where you can hook it all up in one big box.

I have 13 at one location and luckily found what I would call an octopus
cable, one 110, a power supply and 8 outputs. its maybe 3A at 110.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 24 Feb 2013 18:06:37 -0600, Doug
wrote:

Seriously
I wonder why they don't allow them in a closet?

Government intrusion?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Sun, 24 Feb 2013, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Not if the receptacle in the other room isn't on a 20 amp circuit...

I think the OP wants a dedicated 20 amp for the cameras.

My licensed electrician here in NYC says outlets are not allowed in
closets. But he puts them in for me.

What's his name so I can report him ? Just kidding... Seriously
I wonder why they don't allow them in a closet?

You would likely be stacking stuff against the outlet.

Just guessing.

Not sure why the ceiling in a closet wouldn't be okay.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Sun, 24 Feb 2013, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Not if the receptacle in the other room isn't on a 20 amp circuit...

I think the OP wants a dedicated 20 amp for the cameras.

My licensed electrician here in NYC says outlets are not allowed in
closets. But he puts them in for me.

What's his name so I can report him ? Just kidding... Seriously
I wonder why they don't allow them in a closet?

You would likely be stacking stuff against the outlet.

Just guessing.

Not sure why the ceiling in a closet wouldn't be okay.

Still trapped heat. It would invite light bulbs, as well (same issue,
really).

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Sun, 24 Feb 2013, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Not if the receptacle in the other room isn't on a 20 amp circuit...

I think the OP wants a dedicated 20 amp for the cameras.

My licensed electrician here in NYC says outlets are not allowed in
closets. But he puts them in for me.

What's his name so I can report him ? Just kidding... Seriously
I wonder why they don't allow them in a closet?

You would likely be stacking stuff against the outlet.

Just guessing.

Not sure why the ceiling in a closet wouldn't be okay.

They are not allowed in ceilings because the inspectors can never be sure
that all receptacles will either be used or covered with a childproof
insert.

Exposed ceiling receptacles have been known to drop electrons on people's
heads.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

What's his name so I can report him ? Just kidding... Seriously
I wonder why they don't allow them in a closet?

You would likely be stacking stuff against the outlet.

Just guessing.

Not sure why the ceiling in a closet wouldn't be okay.

A floor mount outlet unit is legal, not sure in a closet...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 24, 5:48*pm, Don Wiss wrote:
On Sun, 24 Feb 2013, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Not if the receptacle in the other room isn't on a 20 amp circuit...

I think the OP wants a dedicated 20 amp for the cameras.

My licensed electrician here in NYC says outlets are not allowed in
closets. But he puts them in for me.

Nor are bare incandescent bulbs allowed. They must be covered or
fluorescent. This I do follow.

Don.www.donwiss.com(e-mail link at home page bottom).

Is "not allowed" an NEC issue or local zoning??
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

What's his name so I can report him ? Just kidding... Seriously
I wonder why they don't allow them in a closet?

Idiots would be plugging space heaters into them. Or make it into a
kitchenette with a hotplate. Handy place for a bedroom coffee maker.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 24 Feb 2013 10:32:11 -0500, "Existential Angst"
wrote:

wrote in message
Don't know if this is allowable. Would like to move my security camera
and DVR setup to a closet. No outlet in there now. This is going to be
a 20A to power the cameras' power adapter, monitor and DVR

Just run it off the lite....

What light? Millions of closets have no lights in them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

What's his name so I can report him ? Just kidding... Seriously
I wonder why they don't allow them in a closet?

Idiots would be plugging space heaters into them. Or make it into a
kitchenette with a hotplate. Handy place for a bedroom coffee maker.

Excellent point. I guess in certain cases the small cramped space
could lead to fires because its mostly outa sight outa mind. Yep, I
follow you. Thanks Ed for giving me a clue !!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

wrote in message
Don't know if this is allowable. Would like to move my security camera
and DVR setup to a closet. No outlet in there now. This is going to be
a 20A to power the cameras' power adapter, monitor and DVR

Just run it off the lite....

What light? Millions of closets have no lights in them.

This is a tragedy. I'm founding LiFoClos, which will halep to bring
lights to the dark closets of America. Our symbol will be a black
ribbon, because it's so dark in there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ha! I just tripped off the breaker, and your
20 amp hand warmer is cold....

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Jon Danniken" wrote in message
Having a 20A circuit and not needing
it is better than not having a
20A circuit when you do need it.

You can take my 20A circuit when you pry
it from my cold, dead fingers!

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

Our campaign posters will be poor, under privileged
black children, sitting in dark closets, eating black
licorice, drinking chocolate milk, and wearing black
"do rags". The campaign just radiates success, and
we havn't had our first fund raiser, yet. We'll have
Jessie Blackson for guest speaker, and his pal the
other negro preacher, Al Darkton.

I'd like to be your publicity manager, with my
radiant charm, people skills, and black humor.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"micky" wrote in message

What light? Millions of closets have no lights in them.

This is a tragedy. I'm founding LiFoClos, which will
halep to bring lights to the dark closets of America.

Our symbol will be a black ribbon, because it's so
dark in there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, February 24, 2013 12:29:30 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Feb 24, 9:56*am, DerbyDad03 wrote: wrote: Don't know if this is allowable. Would like to move my security camera and DVR setup to a closet. No outlet in there now. This is going to be a 20A to power the cameras' power adapter, monitor and DVR thanks richard 20 amps? 20 amp breaker, 20 amp receptacle, and 12 gauge wire for that small amount of electronics? Way overkill...unless the circuit is already present and you just want to extend it into the closet. It's still overkill, but if it's already nearby, then why not. As far as whether or not an outlet is allowed in a closet, I'm pretty sure there's an outlet in this closet. http://www.electronichouse.com/slide...egory/5861/895 Thanks folks. I know it is an overkill. Plan to upgrade to 16-camera unit. Just like an extra headroom, 4 cameras @ approx. 3A per 4- camera, that adds to 12A + DVD and monitor. Plus planning to add IR illuminators and plenty of spare 20's already in the main breaker that is unused.

Still massively overkill. Find an outlet on one the walls adjacent to the closet and tap in there with a piece of 14/2. Some juristictions don't allow closet outlets but I've done a number so I could put electronics in a closet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 24, 6:09*pm, "Cliff H" wrote:
I think you may have it figured out. *I'll bet he's looking at
the wallwart and it says its 3A @ 12V, etc.

I have installed many cameras, even the ones with 120' (yea right) IR lights
and they are max 1A at 12 volts.

OP install at least a quad and if you get into a lot of lights they make a
power distribution box where you can hook it all up in one big box.

I have 13 at one location and luckily found what I would call an octopus
cable, one 110, a power supply and 8 outputs. its maybe 3A at 110.

My oversight folks. I forgot that I was looking at DC.

I think I'll go the distribution box as Cliff mentioned. I've got SMC
data distribution box in there. I'll tap off of a J-box that's already
in the attic feeding a 20A outlet circuit.

thanks all,
richard
Posted to alt.home.repair

jamesgang wrote:
[...]

As long as it's on a 15 amp breaker

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 25, 3:45*pm, jamesgang wrote:
On Sunday, February 24, 2013 12:29:30 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Feb 24, 9:56*am, DerbyDad03 wrote: wrote: Don't know if this is allowable. Would like to move my security camera and DVR setup to a closet. No outlet in there now. This is going to be a 20A to power the cameras' power adapter, monitor and DVR thanks richard 20 amps? 20 amp breaker, 20 amp receptacle, and 12 gauge wire for that small amount of electronics? Way overkill...unless the circuit is already present and you just want to extend it into the closet. It's still overkill, but if it's already nearby, then why not. As far as whether or not an outlet is allowed in a closet, I'm pretty sure there's an outlet in this closet. http://www.electronichouse.com/slide...5861/895Thanks folks. I know it is an overkill. Plan to upgrade to 16-camera unit. Just like an extra headroom, 4 cameras @ approx. 3A per 4- camera, that adds to 12A + DVD and monitor. Plus planning to add IR illuminators and plenty of spare 20's already in the main breaker that is unused.

Still massively overkill. *Find an outlet on one the walls adjacent to the closet and tap in there with a piece of 14/2. *Some juristictions don't allow closet outlets but I've done a number so I could put electronics in a closet.

Please use 14/3 or 14/2 with a ground.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 24 Feb 2013, Don Wiss wrote:
My licensed electrician here in NYC says outlets are not allowed in
closets. But he puts them in for me.

Seriously
I wonder why they don't allow them in a closet?

I tried to find this on the web. NYC uses the NEC with changes. Like 6'
instead of 3'. I was not able to find anything on the NYC web pages
regarding outlets in closets. I called my electrician. He couldn't defend
his comment about this from last Summer. I have to retract my comment.

His father was my former electrician. They have the same first name. I half
looked in my address book and I called his father first by mistake. It gave
me a chance to give my condolences for his losing his Summer house in the
Breezy Point fire. I got to ask a question I had been wondering. Which
house had his personal belongings? Maybe the Breezy Point house was bought
furnished and his personal stuff was in the Florida house? Nope. The
Florida house was bought furnished and all personal things, including
irreplaceable family heirlooms, were in the Breezy Point house. Bummer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

gregz wrote:

Thieves can destroy the DVR recordings, or take it with them. It's
likely thieves might look in closets. It's likely thieves might break
into locked closets if given enough time.

My "early 60's house had string pull lights in all closets. My early
50's has none.

Good point about the recording apparatus being accessible to the thieves!

A few years ago, a couple of teenagers broke into a Maine small-town boat
repair dock. Their goal was to steal some radios out of the boats.

Oops! Once in, they noticed the cameras!

Nothing for it but to burn the place down.

Unfortunately, the cable ran up the hill to the office of the boat repair
company to the recording equipment. It took the local constabulary about two
minutes to recognize the culprits. Arrests followed within the hour.

Here's where it gets tricky. The seventeen-year old (an adult) got, after
restitution, a five-year probated sentence.

The fifteen-year old was turned over to the Secret Service inasmuch as one
of the burned boats belonged to George H.W. Bush. The juvenile was charged
with domestic terrorism and ordered confined to the only federal juvenile
maximum-security facility, in Pennsylvania, until he turned twenty-one.

So, then, this rosy-cheeked snowflake will be locked up for six years with a
passel of drunken Indians.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 25 Feb 2013 23:55:15 -0500, Don Wiss
wrote:

[...]

Thanks and sorry to hear about your former electrician. I can only
imagine the pain of losing objects that can't be replaced. Well, the
good thing is ...he's still alive.

Outlet in closet... a Home Repair 35 February 12th 08 08:12 PM
Closet Organization - Use Your Space Wisely. Closet Organization Video trav Home Repair 0 October 13th 07 04:52 PM
is gfci outlet good replacement for two-prong non-grounded outlet ?? [email protected] Home Repair 3 December 5th 06 04:01 PM
Piggy-backing new 125v outlet on existing 250v outlet? John Home Repair 31 August 10th 05 02:03 AM
FS Six 20A outlet shop electrical panel, each outlet protected Dan Lanciani Home Repair 0 February 24th 05 03:34 AM