Posted to alt.home.repair

Default extension cord

I need a short 24 to 36" extension cord for my submergible sump pump,what
should i be looking for,an appliance grade cord or what? thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/23/2013 4:51 AM, pacca wrote:
I need a short 24 to 36" extension cord for my submergible sump
pump,what should i be looking for,an appliance grade cord or what? thanks

There are all sorts of outdoor extension cords for sale at hardware
stores but you can always make your own by using a high quality cord
body that has a rubber boot. You can purchase a 25' outdoor cord and
cut a piece off that has the male plug on it and install your own plug
body on the other end. You can take any good cord body and fill the
cavity where the wires are connected with RTV silicone after making the
connections and use silicone dielectric grease on the end where you plug
in your pump cord. You can also switch out the plug on the pump and use
a matching waterproof cord body on your new extension cord. ^_^

http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/...a-_Receptacles

http://tinyurl.com/aw5qx5d

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 23, 8:04*am, The Daring Dufas the-daring-du...@stinky-
finger.net wrote:
On 2/23/2013 4:51 AM, pacca wrote:

I need a short 24 to 36" extension cord for my submergible sump
pump,what should i be looking for,an appliance grade cord or what? thanks

There are all sorts of outdoor extension cords for sale at hardware
stores but you can always make your own by using a high quality cord
body that has a rubber boot. You can purchase a 25' outdoor cord and
cut a piece off that has the male plug on it and install your own plug
body on the other end. You can take any good cord body and fill the
cavity where the wires are connected with RTV silicone after making the
connections and use silicone dielectric grease on the end where you plug
in your pump cord. You can also switch out the plug on the pump and use
a matching waterproof cord body on your new extension cord. ^_^

http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/...ring_Solutions...

http://tinyurl.com/aw5qx5d

TDD

Any short, decent ext cord that is 14 gauge or better
will be fine.
Posted to alt.home.repair

They used to make short, heavy duty cords for window air conditioners.
Should do the job for you.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"pacca" wrote in message
I need a short 24 to 36" extension cord for my submergible sump pump,what
should i be looking for,an appliance grade cord or what? thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

finger.net wrote:
[...]

If it's in a wet area I will always put silicone dielectric grease in
the plug body to keep corrosion at bay. I used to have a large tube of
the 3M brand I got from the electrical supply house but small tubes are
available from any auto parts store sold as spark plug boot grease or
trailer connector protective grease. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 23 Feb 2013 04:51:35 -0600, "pacca" wrote:

I need a short 24 to 36" extension cord for my submergible sump pump,what
should i be looking for,an appliance grade cord or what? thanks

The flat "air conditioning" cords are generally 14 guage and work
well for that application - not sure if you can buy as short as 2 or 3
feet - but they are available in 4 and 6 ft.
Senior Member

It depends on what kind of pump you have.

If that cord is going to be submerged, I would contact the manufacturer of the pump and see if they have the cord available as a part.

If not, you stand to get a serious shock from touching the wet cord going to that pump.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 23 Feb 2013 19:08:43 +0000, nestork
wrote:

It depends on what kind of pump you have.

If that cord is going to be submerged, I would contact the manufacturer
of the pump and see if they have the cord available as a part.

If not, you stand to get a serious shock from touching the wet cord
going to that pump.

I have a pump for draining my pool. ISTR that if the cord is damaged
(stress) where the cord enters the body of the pump it cannot be
fixed? The cord has some fancy molding into the pump body.

About the only thing I could fix on the cord is a new plug on the end,
but that is about it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

--
nestork

I've never seen a sump pump that came with a cord
so short that an extension cord used with it would be
submerged. At least not unless the basement flooded
with a couple feet or more of water....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 23 Feb 2013 15:24:23 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

I've never seen a sump pump that came with a cord
so short that an extension cord used with it would be
submerged. At least not unless the basement flooded
with a couple feet or more of water....

My automatic submersible sump pump for pool draining, the cord is 25'
long - then an ext. cord to reach the GFCI (I installed).