Posted to alt.home.repair

Default replacing clothes washer door bellow

Our clothes washer is 9+ years old and the door bellow (goes between
the door and drum in a front-loading clothes washer) needs to be
replaced. I found the part. Is this something that can be replaced
by someone who has never done anything like it before?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jan Philips wrote:
Our clothes washer is 9+ years old and the door bellow (goes between
the door and drum in a front-loading clothes washer) needs to be
replaced. I found the part. Is this something that can be replaced
by someone who has never done anything like it before?

If you go to http://www.repairclinic.com/ and can find the part there,
sometimes they have instructional videos that show how to replace the part.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 16:57:37 -0500, "TomR" wrote:

If you go to http://www.repairclinic.com/ and can find the part there,
sometimes they have instructional videos that show how to replace the part.

I found it there, but there were no instructions. It does say skill
level 2 - do-it-yourself.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 19:18:29 -0500, Jan Philips
wrote:

On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 16:57:37 -0500, "TomR" wrote:

If you go to http://www.repairclinic.com/ and can find the part there,
sometimes they have instructional videos that show how to replace the part.

I found it there, but there were no instructions. It does say skill
level 2 - do-it-yourself.

I found this on Youtube (Whirlpool)

http://www.youtube.com/user/partselect?v=oiSv2jn5WgU

Search for your brand name as we don't even know that information.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jan Philips wrote in
:

On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 16:57:37 -0500, "TomR" wrote:

If you go to http://www.repairclinic.com/ and can find the part there,
sometimes they have instructional videos that show how to replace the
part.

I found it there, but there were no instructions. It does say skill
level 2 - do-it-yourself.

It would help if you called the part by a more-accurate name, such as
"door seal". There's no such part as a "bellow".

Using the term "door seal", I found this YouTube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSxfxXLn3x4
I imagine other brands will be very similar.

This project looks pretty simple, but you will be messing with many little
doohickeys that need to come apart and go back together in a very specific
order. If mechanical aptitude isn't your strong suit, you're probably
better off calling in an appliance repairman.

--
Tegger

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 20 Feb 2013 02:08:39 +0000 (UTC), Tegger
wrote:

It would help if you called the part by a more-accurate name, such as
"door seal". There's no such part as a "bellow".

That is what they call it, see
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...65200/0026/417

Using the term "door seal", I found this YouTube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSxfxXLn3x4
I imagine other brands will be very similar.

Thank you.

This project looks pretty simple, but you will be messing with many little
doohickeys that need to come apart and go back together in a very specific
order. If mechanical aptitude isn't your strong suit, you're probably
better off calling in an appliance repairman.

That could be right.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

It would help if you called the part by a more-accurate name, such as
"door seal". There's no such part as a "bellow".

Sure there is, I learned it today. Look at the video I posted. The
part is called a bellow.

Using the term "door seal", I found this YouTube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSxfxXLn3x4
I imagine other brands will be very similar.

People in the UK talk funny. They call a hood a bonnet? Drive on the
wrong side of the road. Here, we call harry a maroon
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jan Philips wrote in
:

wrote:

It would help if you called the part by a more-accurate name, such as
"door seal". There's no such part as a "bellow".

That is what they call it, see
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...34365200/0026/
417

By golly, you're right. Not a name I would have chosen, but there it is.

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote in news:g6d8i8t9p7l9clmck6e0bfkrdpjor6ci52@
4ax.com:

wrote:

It would help if you called the part by a more-accurate name, such as
"door seal". There's no such part as a "bellow".

Sure there is, I learned it today. Look at the video I posted. The
part is called a bellow.

I learned the same thing today. My bad, as the saying goes.

Using the term "door seal", I found this YouTube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSxfxXLn3x4
I imagine other brands will be very similar.

People in the UK talk funny. They call a hood a bonnet?

And fenders are "wings". Plus they call a garage a "garridge", to rhyme
with "carriage".

Weirdos. But they do have good beer.

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jan Philips wrote:
On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 16:57:37 -0500, "TomR" wrote:

If you go to http://www.repairclinic.com/ and can find the part
there, sometimes they have instructional videos that show how to
replace the part.

I found it there, but there were no instructions. It does say skill
level 2 - do-it-yourself.

If you say what the make and model is, someone here may be able to find a
YouTube or other repair video that shows how to do it.

For example, if you happen to have a Frigidaire Affinity Washer, these two
videos may help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt75yTEjQlI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aOfdzXczSM

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 19, 2:43*pm, Jan Philips wrote:
Our clothes washer is 9+ years old and the door bellow (goes between
the door and drum in a front-loading clothes washer) needs to be
replaced. *I found the part. *Is this something that can be replaced
by someone who has never done anything like it before?

Do you have a handy neighbor? If so, maybe get him/her to help you.
Take photos or a video as you disassemble the current gasket, that
will be a big help in putting the new one into place.

I would give it a try, you only get to be handy if you try. There is
always some learning, but you have to begin somewhere, and this
doesn't seem that complicated. Just use the photos you take very
frequently. They're free!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 20 Feb 2013 10:49:18 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

I would give it a try, you only get to be handy if you try.

Well, I cleaned it with bleach and that got most of the mildew, but
not all. Then I ran Tide washingmachine cleaner. My wife said that
she has tried that product before, and it didn't work.

She wants to replace the front loader with a top loader so water won't
stay on the door seal and mildew. I'm trying other solutions, and
will replace the seal if needed. For the time being, she isn't
complaining about it.