Posted to alt.home.repair

Default name of this hinge?

See link:

http://s1142.beta.photobucket.com/us...hinge.jpg.html

This exterior door hinge is mounted to the interior face of the door. It
has a right angle bend to it, forming a flange about 1/4" wide. The
mating half is flat and mortised into the jamb.

I would like to source new hinges of this exact size and style, but I
don't know what to search for. Is there a name for this particular style
of hinge?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
See link:

http://s1142.beta.photobucket.com/us...hinge.jpg.html

This exterior door hinge is mounted to the interior face of the door. It
has a right angle bend to it, forming a flange about 1/4" wide. The
mating half is flat and mortised into the jamb.

I would like to source new hinges of this exact size and style, but I
don't know what to search for. Is there a name for this particular style
of hinge?

this is the closest i could quickly find
http://www.mcmaster.com/?m=true#butt-hinges/=lakx52
close but not exact

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 1 Feb 2013 16:05:30 -0600, "ChairMan"
wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
See link:

http://s1142.beta.photobucket.com/us...hinge.jpg.html

This exterior door hinge is mounted to the interior face of the door. It
has a right angle bend to it, forming a flange about 1/4" wide. The
mating half is flat and mortised into the jamb.

I would like to source new hinges of this exact size and style, but I
don't know what to search for. Is there a name for this particular style
of hinge?

this is the closest i could quickly find
http://www.mcmaster.com/?m=true#butt-hinges/=lakx52
close but not exact

Another place to look - some look close.

http://www.hardwaresource.com/hinges/DOOR+HINGES/Plain+Bearing+Butt+Hinges

If all else fails, check with an architectural salvage place, if you
have one. Do you know how old the hinges are?
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 2/1/2013 1:38 PM, Smitty Two wrote:
See link:

http://s1142.beta.photobucket.com/us...hinge.jpg.html

This exterior door hinge is mounted to the interior face of the door. It
has a right angle bend to it, forming a flange about 1/4" wide. The
mating half is flat and mortised into the jamb.

I would like to source new hinges of this exact size and style, but I
don't know what to search for. Is there a name for this particular style
of hinge?

They're an offset hinge and I've not seen one in like 50+ years other
than the couple of pairs that have that were taken off some doors in the
old farmhouse here--they were used in several places but are of ca. 1915
vintage. Lots of luck in finding a current source--I've no ideas where
to tell you to try.

Oh, maybe some of the preservation/restoration sites (but they'll
undoubtedly be priced at a premium if find them there, either)???

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
See link:

http://s1142.beta.photobucket.com/us...hinge.jpg.html

This exterior door hinge is mounted to the interior face of the door. It
has a right angle bend to it, forming a flange about 1/4" wide. The
mating half is flat and mortised into the jamb.

I would like to source new hinges of this exact size and style, but I
don't know what to search for. Is there a name for this particular style
of hinge?

this is the closest i could quickly find
http://www.mcmaster.com/?m=true#butt-hinges/=lakx52
close but not exact

It appears you were on the right track and if you would have gone just
one page further...

http://www.mcmaster.com/?m=true#butt-hinges/=laniha

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/1/13 1:38 PM, Smitty Two wrote:
See link:

http://s1142.beta.photobucket.com/us...hinge.jpg.html

This exterior door hinge is mounted to the interior face of the door. It
has a right angle bend to it, forming a flange about 1/4" wide. The
mating half is flat and mortised into the jamb.

I would like to source new hinges of this exact size and style, but I
don't know what to search for. Is there a name for this particular style
of hinge?

Are these http://tinyurl.com/a2hbndv anywhere close to what you
want?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
See link:

http://s1142.beta.photobucket.com/us...hinge.jpg.html

This exterior door hinge is mounted to the interior face of the door. It
has a right angle bend to it, forming a flange about 1/4" wide. The
mating half is flat and mortised into the jamb.

I would like to source new hinges of this exact size and style, but I
don't know what to search for. Is there a name for this particular style
of hinge?

this is the closest i could quickly find
http://www.mcmaster.com/?m=true#butt-hinges/=lakx52
close but not exact

It appears you were on the right track and if you would have gone just
one page further...

http://www.mcmaster.com/?m=true#butt-hinges/=laniha

Thanks, and note that McMaster is a frame-based website (I think that's
the right term) so sending a URL will not take the viewer (me) to the
same thing you were looking at. In this case, your link and Chairman's
link took me to the same page.

That said, it does seem like "half-surface" is a useful search term.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
See link:

http://s1142.beta.photobucket.com/us...hinge.jpg.html

This exterior door hinge is mounted to the interior face of the door. It
has a right angle bend to it, forming a flange about 1/4" wide. The
mating half is flat and mortised into the jamb.

I would like to source new hinges of this exact size and style, but I
don't know what to search for. Is there a name for this particular style
of hinge?

this is the closest i could quickly find
http://www.mcmaster.com/?m=true#butt-hinges/=lakx52
close but not exact

Another place to look - some look close.

http://www.hardwaresource.com/hinges/DOOR+HINGES/Plain+Bearing+Butt+Hinges

If all else fails, check with an architectural salvage place, if you
have one. Do you know how old the hinges are?

House was built in 1952. It's likely looking that I will be re-using the
old hinges. I can take them off for refinishing. Just thought if I could
readily buy new, I'd do it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

--

Thanks. Offset seems a good word, but a google image search for offset
hinge wasn't fruitful. As I mentioned in another response, house was
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote in
:

Offset seems a good word, but a google image search for offset
hinge wasn't fruitful.

What about "step hinge"?

Using that term, I get Google Images results that kinda-sorta look close to
your photograph.

--
Tegger

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 01 Feb 2013 17:55:17 -0800, Smitty Two
wrote:

House was built in 1952. It's likely looking that I will be re-using the
old hinges. I can take them off for refinishing. Just thought if I could
readily buy new, I'd do it.

There are some online architectural salvage web sites. San Diego has
one that you could spend an entire day wondering in the store. Might
send the photo to one and ask.

Oh, in this thread, I found the name of what I need for a furniture
door. Ball catch latch.

http://furniture.toreuse.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/dh.jpg

You made me do it...g
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 1, 1:38*pm, Smitty Two wrote:
See link:

http://s1142.beta.photobucket.com/us...hinge.jpg.html

This exterior door hinge is mounted to the interior face of the door. It
has a right angle bend to it, forming a flange about 1/4" wide. The
mating half is flat and mortised into the jamb.

I would like to source new hinges of this exact size and style, but I
don't know what to search for. Is there a name for this particular style
of hinge?

Looks like half mortise/half lap hinge. From 1930's-50's. Restoration
places usually have them. Installation is usually paired with glass/
hollow brass door knobs. Have a few pairs, but I used it for backup.
Can't remember who made it. However, if you strip the paint you may
find who manufactured it. Ones I have were diamond shaped mark and
mfr's name on it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
Smitty Two wrote:

See link:

http://s1142.beta.photobucket.com/us...hinge.jpg.html

This exterior door hinge is mounted to the interior face of the door. It
has a right angle bend to it, forming a flange about 1/4" wide. The
mating half is flat and mortised into the jamb.

I would like to source new hinges of this exact size and style, but I
don't know what to search for. Is there a name for this particular style
of hinge?

Hey, I think this could be it, found by searching "half surface hinge."

http://tinyurl.com/aw9asxz

Wish they would show an end view. But the hole patterns are correct.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 1, 9:13*pm, Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,
*Smitty Two wrote:

See link:

http://s1142.beta.photobucket.com/us...hinge.jpg.html

This exterior door hinge is mounted to the interior face of the door. It
has a right angle bend to it, forming a flange about 1/4" wide. The
mating half is flat and mortised into the jamb.

I would like to source new hinges of this exact size and style, but I
don't know what to search for. Is there a name for this particular style
of hinge?

Hey, I think this could be it, found by searching "half surface hinge."

http://tinyurl.com/aw9asxz

Wish they would show an end view. But the hole patterns are correct.

Better NOT to refinish the old ones. Give the new one a patina; dip
and hang over vinegar in a closed container. May take a while though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,

*Smitty Two wrote:

See link:

http://s1142.beta.photobucket.com/us...hinge.jpg.html

This exterior door hinge is mounted to the interior face of the door. It
has a right angle bend to it, forming a flange about 1/4" wide. The
mating half is flat and mortised into the jamb.

I would like to source new hinges of this exact size and style, but I
don't know what to search for. Is there a name for this particular style
of hinge?

Hey, I think this could be it, found by searching "half surface hinge."

http://tinyurl.com/aw9asxz

Wish they would show an end view. But the hole patterns are correct.

Better NOT to refinish the old ones. Give the new one a patina; dip
and hang over vinegar in a closed container. May take a while though.

I ordered the "oil-rubbed bronze" finish. That should go with my new
scheme. If they don't match what I have (from what I can tell, they
will) then I'll return them, and just sand blast and paint the old ones.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/1/2013 1:38 PM, Smitty Two wrote:
See link:

http://s1142.beta.photobucket.com/us...hinge.jpg.html

This exterior door hinge is mounted to the interior face of the door. It
has a right angle bend to it, forming a flange about 1/4" wide. The
mating half is flat and mortised into the jamb.

I would like to source new hinges of this exact size and style, but I
don't know what to search for. Is there a name for this particular style
of hinge?

The hinge is a half surface, if it were mortised in the door and
surfaced on the jamb, it would be called a half mortise. The terms are
often misapplied, so check both. You will probably need to work with an
order desk or commercial hardware supplier as I doubt they will be on
the shelf at the Borg.

--

___________________________________

Keep the whole world singing . . .
Dan G
remove the seven
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:

Thanks. Offset seems a good word, but a google image search for offset
hinge wasn't fruitful.

"half surface butt hinge" gets a lot...
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&tbo=d&o...iw=911&bih=486

--

dadiOH

Toilet seat hinge breaks, possible to just replace the hinge? Dan Musicant Home Repair 22 August 7th 17 04:44 PM
Bifold Door Hinge Issie - Hinge.jpg (1/1) [128K] Nymshifter #101345688 Home Repair 0 November 13th 12 10:30 AM
left hinge door, right hinge storm Cindy Hamilton[_2_] Home Repair 37 June 18th 10 08:10 PM
Hinge Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 1 October 25th 06 08:28 AM
Lid Hinge ENGLISH Woodworking 1 March 26th 05 01:42 PM