Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Toilet seat hinge breaks, possible to just replace the hinge?

The seat looks fine except that one of the two hinges that screw into
the seat and back has broken. It's some kind of plastic. Can I possibly
buy a hinge new? The seat is made by Bemis and I bought and installed
that myself, very likely bought from Home Depot maybe 10 years ago.

Dan

Email: dmusicant at pacbell dot net
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Mar 16, 4:04*pm, Dan Musicant wrote:
The seat looks fine except that one of the two hinges that screw into
the seat and back has broken. It's some kind of plastic. Can I possibly
buy a hinge new? The seat is made by Bemis and I bought and installed
that myself, very likely bought from Home Depot maybe 10 years ago.

Dan

Email: dmusicant at pacbell dot net

Take a look at Signature Hardware. Have used their plated-brass
hinged seats with good luck (after getting sick of the big box crap
that breaks after a couple years) and I believe they sell the hinges
separately.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dan Musicant" wrote in message
The seat looks fine except that one of the two hinges that screw into
the seat and back has broken. It's some kind of plastic. Can I possibly
buy a hinge new? The seat is made by Bemis and I bought and installed
that myself, very likely bought from Home Depot maybe 10 years ago.

Dan

Email: dmusicant at pacbell dot net

You can certainly buy individual hinges, though you may have to get a pair
to have a matching set. Even Wal-mart has them. Figure about $1.50 each at
any place that sells toilets or just toilet parts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 16 Mar 2012 13:09:07 -0700 (PDT), N8N
wrote:

:On Mar 16, 4:04*pm, Dan Musicant wrote:
: The seat looks fine except that one of the two hinges that screw into
: the seat and back has broken. It's some kind of plastic. Can I possibly
: buy a hinge new? The seat is made by Bemis and I bought and installed
: that myself, very likely bought from Home Depot maybe 10 years ago.
:
: Dan
:
: Email: dmusicant at pacbell dot net
:
:Take a look at Signature Hardware. Have used their plated-brass
:hinged seats with good luck (after getting sick of the big box crap
:that breaks after a couple years) and I believe they sell the hinges
:separately.
:
:nate

What I see there is a brass affair, one big unit. What I have is two
separate hinges. I just did some poking around and found this:

http://www.amazon.com/Lasco-14-1039-...1931100&sr=1-3

Says it works with Bemis seats, so I suppose it will work, however it
appears to be different from what's on there. I may visit my local
recycling outfit before ordering.

Dan

Email: dmusicant at sonic dot net
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dan Musicant writes:

The seat looks fine except that one of the two hinges that screw into
the seat and back has broken. It's some kind of plastic. Can I possibly
buy a hinge new? The seat is made by Bemis and I bought and installed
that myself, very likely bought from Home Depot maybe 10 years ago.

I just replaced 2 old and worn out toilet seats.
Forget about repairing them.

They sell seats now with damped hinges. No more slamming
lids. It's worth going for the upgrade rather than repairing.

--
Dan Espen

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 16 Mar 2012 17:03:33 -0400, Dan Espen
wrote:

an Musicant writes:
:
: The seat looks fine except that one of the two hinges that screw into
: the seat and back has broken. It's some kind of plastic. Can I possibly
: buy a hinge new? The seat is made by Bemis and I bought and installed
: that myself, very likely bought from Home Depot maybe 10 years ago.
:
:I just replaced 2 old and worn out toilet seats.
:Forget about repairing them.
:
:They sell seats now with damped hinges. No more slamming
:lids. It's worth going for the upgrade rather than repairing.

This seat looks basically new, only problem is that hinge.

Dan

Email: dmusicant at sonic dot net
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 16 Mar 2012 15:53:46 -0500, "Keith"
wrote:

:
:"Dan Musicant" wrote in message
.. .
: The seat looks fine except that one of the two hinges that screw into
: the seat and back has broken. It's some kind of plastic. Can I possibly
: buy a hinge new? The seat is made by Bemis and I bought and installed
: that myself, very likely bought from Home Depot maybe 10 years ago.
:
: Dan
:
:
: Email: dmusicant at pacbell dot net
:
:You can certainly buy individual hinges, though you may have to get a pair
:to have a matching set. Even Wal-mart has them. Figure about $1.50 each at
:any place that sells toilets or just toilet parts.

That's probably what I'll do, get a pair, maybe the other's weakened at
this point. At $1.50 apiece, worth it to just replace the pair! Thanks
for the idea.

Dan

Email: dmusicant at sonic dot net
Posted to alt.home.repair

Your ass is too big. Tell her to go on a diet.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org

"Dan Musicant" wrote in message
The seat looks fine except that one of the two hinges that screw into
the seat and back has broken. It's some kind of plastic. Can I possibly
buy a hinge new? The seat is made by Bemis and I bought and installed
that myself, very likely bought from Home Depot maybe 10 years ago.

Dan

Email: dmusicant at pacbell dot net

Posted to alt.home.repair

an Musicant writes:
:
: The seat looks fine except that one of the two hinges that screw into
: the seat and back has broken. It's some kind of plastic. Can I possibly
: buy a hinge new? The seat is made by Bemis and I bought and installed
: that myself, very likely bought from Home Depot maybe 10 years ago.
:
:I just replaced 2 old and worn out toilet seats.
:Forget about repairing them.
:
:They sell seats now with damped hinges. No more slamming
:lids. It's worth going for the upgrade rather than repairing.

This seat looks basically new, only problem is that hinge.

The other problem is that it slams shut.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dan Musicant wrote:
The seat looks fine except that one of the two hinges that screw into
the seat and back has broken. It's some kind of plastic. Can I
possibly buy a hinge new? The seat is made by Bemis and I bought and
installed that myself, very likely bought from Home Depot maybe 10
years ago.

Dan

If all else fails, buy a complete seat and salvage the hinges.

Still, toilet seats have made great strides in the last decade - you might
consider a newer, more advanced, model.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

:On Mar 16, 4:04 pm, Dan wrote:
[...]

It ain't rocket surgery... I'm assuming your seat is wood or rigid
plastic. In almost all cases the hinges just screw to the seat with
little stainless or brass wood screws. Worst case you might have to
fill some old holes with white caulk to hide where the old hinges were.
Or just buy a whole new seat and be done with it. I like the brass
hinge assy. for ease of cleaning, the plastic ones seem to collect mung
in the nooks and crannies.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in
m:

Still, toilet seats have made great strides in the last decade - you
might consider a newer, more advanced, model.

Yes. Some of them even come with an iPhone app. Imagine that.

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 16 Mar 2012 13:04:21 -0700, Dan Musicant
wrote:

The seat looks fine except that one of the two hinges that screw into
the seat and back has broken. It's some kind of plastic. Can I possibly
buy a hinge new? The seat is made by Bemis and I bought and installed
that myself, very likely bought from Home Depot maybe 10 years ago.

Dan

Yes. Most hardware stores have them. If you have heavy people, get a
metal one. Plastic ones are cheap junk.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

:On Mar 16, 4:04 pm, Dan wrote:
[...]

The "slow close" seats I just bought have a simple way to remove
the seat entirely from the toilet. Turn 2 hidden knobs and pop
the entire seat right off.

It's meant for cleaning. You can get at the entire area under the
seat.

--
Dan Espen

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The seat looks fine except that one of the two hinges that screw into
the seat and back has broken. It's some kind of plastic. Can I possibly
buy a hinge new? The seat is made by Bemis and I bought and installed
that myself, very likely bought from Home Depot maybe 10 years ago.

Dan

Email: dmusicant at pacbell dot net

Unless you are trying to save money, it probably wise to consider
replacing the entire seat. I would think a good hardware store will
have some kind of bolt to secure that seat tho it may not match the
other side unless you do both at the same time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Doug" wrote in
:

wrote:

The seat looks fine except that one of the two hinges that screw into
the seat and back has broken. It's some kind of plastic. Can I possibly
buy a hinge new? The seat is made by Bemis and I bought and installed
that myself, very likely bought from Home Depot maybe 10 years ago.

Dan

Email: dmusicant at pacbell dot net

Unless you are trying to save money, it probably wise to consider
replacing the entire seat. I would think a good hardware store will
have some kind of bolt to secure that seat tho it may not match the
other side unless you do both at the same time.

Replaced my seat today for 16.99 Euro
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 17 Mar 2012 18:06:38 GMT, Sjouke Burry s@b wrote:

16.99 Euro

$27 ???? That seems a bit pricey but maybe you got a fancy toilet
seat ???
Posted to alt.home.repair

: wrote:
:
: :On Mar 16, 4:04 pm, Dan wrote:
: : The seat looks fine except that one of the two hinges that screw into
: : the seat and back has broken. It's some kind of plastic. Can I possibly
: : buy a hinge new? The seat is made by Bemis and I bought and installed
: : that myself, very likely bought from Home Depot maybe 10 years ago.
: :
: : Dan
: :
[...]

I went to my local Ace Hardware and they had only the single unit brass
and chromed units. I bought the brass, but have 2nd thoughts. The
fixtures in the bathroom are all chromed, so I think I'll bring it back
and exchange for the chromed one. I would have gotten it but I thought
it might get rusting eventually, as chromed steel often does, but I
figure I should give them the benefit of the doubt that it is better
made than that.

Dan

Email: dmusicant at pacbell dot net
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 18 Mar 2012 21:29:44 -0400, "Roanin"
wrote:

:
:"Dan Musicant" wrote in message
.. .
: The seat looks fine except that one of the two hinges that screw into
: the seat and back has broken. It's some kind of plastic. Can I possibly
: buy a hinge new? The seat is made by Bemis and I bought and installed
: that myself, very likely bought from Home Depot maybe 10 years ago.
:
: Dan
:
:
: Email: dmusicant at pacbell dot net
:Hmm bet ya didn't save the receipt and box did ya. The Bemis seats are
:warranted for life. I had one for over 15 years and the hinge broke, took it
:back to Home Cheepo and they replaced it no questions asked.
:
:R

Huh... actually, I may have that receipt. I'll look. Thanks for the tip.

Dan
:

Email: dmusicant at sonic dot net

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

:
:"Dan Musicant" wrote in message
.. .
: The seat looks fine except that one of the two hinges that screw into
: the seat and back has broken. It's some kind of plastic. Can I possibly
: buy a hinge new? The seat is made by Bemis and I bought and installed
: that myself, very likely bought from Home Depot maybe 10 years ago.
:
: Dan
:
:
: Email: dmusicant at pacbell dot net
:Hmm bet ya didn't save the receipt and box did ya. The Bemis seats are
:warranted for life. I had one for over 15 years and the hinge broke, took it
:back to Home Cheepo and they replaced it no questions asked.
:
:R
:

Actually I do save home improvement and repair receipts. I just looked
through them and found one from Big K, which I think is K-Mart, a store
that closed around 3 miles from me. It just says "TOILET SEAT. 5.39 +
0.44 tax for $5.83. Dated April 22, 2000. However, I am 90% sure I don't
have the box. It would be hard to prove, I suppose, not sure how I'd do
it. Bring the K Mart receipt to Costco and the broken seat with hinge?

Dan

Email: dmusicant at sonic dot net
Posted to alt.home.repair

I have had two of the highest quality Bemis toilet seats fail within ten years. (Complete break and in guest bathrooms with very light use). To be fair they were not slow closing types but have had no Kohler failures in over 29 years.

Bemis warranty is only ONE year. I sent them pictures of the failures but no joy! Will only buy Kohler from now on!