Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT, What Did You Expect When A Commiecrat Is In The White House?

As of Saturday, it became illegal to unlock your cell phone. That means,
even if you own it outright, you can't alter the device to make it to
work on another carrier without risking a fine. ANY President is
going to appoint his cronies to positions within The Executive Branch
and those people will be like minded and vulnerable to the same
political and corporate lobbying demands. With the current
administration's disdain for The Constitution and the freedom and
liberty of the citizenry, why is it not surprising that this nonsense
has come about? O_o

http://preview.tinyurl.com/aox7wq8

US Copyright Office issued an order on Saturday which will make Cell
Phone unlocking illegal. This order will be applied to all Cell phones
purchased after this Saturday. This order is mainly aimed at large scale
cell phone trafficking operations in which large quantities of cell
phones are purchased, unlocked & then sold in foreign markets at lesser
rates. It can also be implemented to individuals who unlock their
phones. People who unlock their cell phones may be subjected to a fine
of up to $2500. Large scale operations may be fined up to $500,000 & may
be jailed for 5 years. Previously cell phone unlocking was not an
offense but this new order overturns that ruling. O_o

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 Jan 2013 22:40:02 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

[...]

My wife told me about this the other day and I thought it was crazy
for it to apply to an individual. I'm not a phone guy but I wonder
how they find out if the phone is unlocked or not? I've seen ways to
do it for my phone but just didn't seem worth it to me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 29, 4:40*am, The Daring Dufas the-daring-du...@stinky-
finger.net wrote:
[...]

Heh Heh.
And the USA is the land of the free?
Another way of taking money out of your pocket.
Over here the high street and markets are full of people who will
unlock your phone.

Yep. American slaves.
Posted to alt.home.repair

finger.net wrote:
[...]

BTW, it is a capitalistcrat not commicrat.
They want to sell you another phone.
Posted to alt.home.repair

finger.net wrote:
[...]

Commiecrats have always been for sale. O_o

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

finger.net wrote:
[...]

Nope, definitely anti-competition Commiecrats who are for sale. O_o

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers

Default Better subject line: It's now illegal to unlock your cell phone (was:What Did You Expect ...)

wrote:

As of Saturday, it became illegal to unlock your cell phone.

I believe that it was the library of congress, not the whitehouse or the
president or the USPTO, that came down with that ruling.

Because circumventing the software inside your phone that locks it to a
specific carrier falls under copyright legislation, and the library of
congress can apparently make some broad rulings about when copyright
rules apply - and when they don't.

This is mostly aimed at literally crushing the used phone market.
They want you to use your phone until the contract is out and trade
it in on a newer phone with a new contract.

New phones cost the service providers money - because they have to
subsidize the cost (to the tune of hundreds of dollars, some times up to
$650 for iPhone). I'm sure they'd rather not have to do that.

Then they crush the old phone.

No, there are lots of used (refurbished) phones that get used in
secondary markets.

Interesting that Apple sells their iPhones unlocked here in Canada.

When you've been paying $60 a month on a 2-year contract and were given
a new iPhone when the contract started, of that $60, $20 went to pay for
the phone. After 2 years, you own the phone, and should be able to use
it on any network. But because it's locked to the original carrier,
they expect you'll come back to them after the contract is over and keep
using your 2-year-old phone on their network.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Oh, boo-fricken-hoo. You want an unlocked phone, buy one and pay full
price. You want to get a phone at a discount, sign a contract with
your carrier and get a locked one, and abide by their rules.

You can still unlock previously-purchased phones, and most major
carriers will grant permission to unlock phones bought from them after
the contract expires.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 29, 12:40*am, wrote:

wrote:

As of Saturday, it became illegal to unlock your cell phone. That means,
even if you own it outright, you can't alter the device to make it to
work on another carrier without risking a fine.
TDD

My wife told me about this the other day and I thought it was crazy
for it to apply to an individual. * I'm not a phone guy but I wonder
how they find out if the phone is unlocked or not? *I've seen ways to
do it for my phone but just didn't seem worth it to me.

This is mostly aimed at literally crushing the used phone market.
They want you to use your phone until the contract is out and trade it
in on a newer phone with a new contract.
Then they crush the old phone.
If you could sell an unlocked phone (or one that could be unlocked) ,
you would not trade it in and they would lose the sale of yet another
new phone..

I've had ATT and Verizon. Neither required or even offered
to take my old phone. And they are not making money on
the cell phones either. On most of the plans, you can get
a nice phone for free or $50 with a two year contract. And
they offer similar discounts off high-end phones. They make their
real money on the monthly service.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

You can buy unlocked phones and you can unlock the locked phone you
bought once the contract expires. The point of this rule is: you can't
have your cake and eat it, too. If you want the convenience of an
unlocked phone, pay full price. If you want to get a discount on the
phone, buy it locked under contract and abide by the terms of the
contract. Your choice.- Hide quoted text -

Where in the contract does it say that the user can't
unlock the phone after the two year contract expires?
Examples please.....

All the contracts I've had simply require you to keep
the service for a minimum of 2 years to get the discount
on the phone purchase. And if you don't keep it two
years, they don't have the govt fine you or put you in
jail. They simply charge you the price difference between
what you paid and what the phone would have otherwise
cost.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 29, 9:02*am, Moe DeLoughan wrote:

[...]

Show us where the contracts from the major carriers
says that you can't do what you please with the phone.
The contracts I've had with ATT and Verizon only said that
to get the discounted price you had to keep their service
for a minimum of 2 years. And if you didn't they then just
charged you the difference between the regular price for
the phone and what you paid.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 29, 8:24*am, "
wrote:
[...]

the phone and what you paid.- Hide quoted text -

Some people are so politicized they would blame a snowstorm or
hurricane on whomever is in authority at the time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Didn't that happen when Katrena slammed New Orleans,
and everyone blamed Bush?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

" wrote in message

Some people are so politicized they would blame a snowstorm or
hurricane on whomever is in authority at the time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/29/2013 10:35 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Didn't that happen when Katrena slammed New Orleans,
and everyone blamed Bush?

Don't the P.L.L.C.F. claim that Ramboma killed Osama bin Laden? ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair
DA DA is offline

responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ho-734573-.htm
DA wrote:

The Daring Dufas wrote:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/aox7wq8

US Copyright Office issued an order on Saturday which will make Cell
Phone unlocking illegal. This order will be applied to all Cell phones
purchased after this Saturday. This order is mainly aimed at large scale
cell phone trafficking operations in which large quantities of cell
phones are purchased, unlocked & then sold in foreign markets at
lesser rates.

Interesting find, I was wondering why Verizon had started running strange PR ads recently in which they are talking only about how much good they have done for the country and not a word about the services they sell - very uncharacteristic of Verizon. They must have been anticipating a backlash from this.

By the way, I don't get why they cannot stop "large scale cell phone trafficking" on their own - supposedly their databases should have all the information about who purchased what and when. This cannot be a person - you only get a discounted phone once in two years (you'll never make it large scale at that rate) - and if they are selling large quantities of locked phones to businesses which then ship them overseas, they could have dealt with those using contracts with the said businesses and simply go after them in court.

It can also be implemented to individuals who unlock their
phones. People who unlock their cell phones may be subjected to a fine
of up to $2500. Large scale operations may be fined up to $500,000 &
may
be jailed for 5 years. Previously cell phone unlocking was not an
offense but this new order overturns that ruling. O_o

Who in the world would enforce such rule anyhow? Suppose someone unlocked their phone - the only reason you would do that is to attach it then to a different provider. The new provider might see your phone's serial number (is this possible, by the way?) and perhaps look it up in some database to see if it was sold previously and what the "lock" status is. But why would they do something about it and lose a customer and potentially have a PR nightmare on their hands when this becomes broadcasted over FB and Twitter? Given that the new provider is said to be "overseas" - chances of that are slim. And, by the way, US Copyright Office does not have jurisdiction "overseas" - wherever that supposed to mean - so who does this *really* aimed at?

By the way, the title of this message is ridiculous - if I remember anything from the social sciences classes (and they were mostly late classes, so I was fully awake) - nothing with the word "communism" in it would be compatible with the whole notion of "copyright" as we know it. In theory, there would have been no property, intellectual or otherwise, to which you would not have access to - i.e. free for all - and this is a move in the exactly opposite direction. If your intention was to just slander the sitting President of the U.S. of A. (a punishable offense http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...defamation_law ) you should have simply used curse words and man up to the consequences instead of muddying the meaning of your own message that followed.

--

/\_/\
((@v@)) NIGHT

Posted to alt.home.repair

finger.net wrote:
[...]

All capitalists try to put the competition out of business.
Then they can charge what they like.
Called a monopoly Duf.
You may have heard of them.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers

On Jan 29, 1:05*pm, Alex Bell wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Old phones get sent to third world countries. Where they unlock them
and re-use.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Don't cats cough up fur balls?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message
On 1/29/2013 10:35 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Didn't that happen when Katrena slammed New Orleans,
and everyone blamed Bush?

Don't the P.L.L.C.F. claim that Ramboma killed Osama bin Laden? ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 29, 12:44*pm, DA
wrote:
responding tohttp://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/ot-what-did-you-expect-when-...

DA wrote:

The Daring Dufas *wrote:

[...]

I still don't see the specific issue here. The major US carriers
sell you a phone at a reduced price if you sign up for a two
year contract. If you cancel before the 2 years is up, they
charge you a cancellation fee of aroung $160, plus you have
to pay the difference between the price you paid for the phone
and the regular price. So, they get several hundred dollars if
you leave early. Most people aren't leaving early. So, why
would Verizon care if you take your two plus year old phone
and unlock it? Or sell it on Ebay to someone where it winds
up in India?

[...]

That is what I'm trying to figure out. I don't see the big problem
that it fixes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 29 Jan 2013 11:21:17 -0500, wrote:

On Tue, 29 Jan 2013 08:05:34 -0500, Alex Bell wrote:

wrote:

As of Saturday, it became illegal to unlock your cell phone.

I believe that it was the library of congress, not the whitehouse or the
president or the USPTO, that came down with that ruling.

Because circumventing the software inside your phone that locks it to a
specific carrier falls under copyright legislation, and the library of
congress can apparently make some broad rulings about when copyright
rules apply - and when they don't.

Librarian of Congress serves at the pleasure of the president.

Go ahead and picket the White House then.

This is mostly aimed at literally crushing the used phone market.
They want you to use your phone until the contract is out and trade
it in on a newer phone with a new contract.

New phones cost the service providers money - because they have to
subsidize the cost (to the tune of hundreds of dollars, some times up to
$650 for iPhone). I'm sure they'd rather not have to do that.

If they did not want to do it, they wouldn't. Phone companies get
these phones much cheaper than retail and they use them to sell
contracts, something they want to do.

They do it for the same reason new car dealers offer financing.
So the cost is spread over time. Many of their customers
couldn't afford or bite on a big up front hit.
It's all in the contract. You can't sell a financed car without
paying off the loan first. Might seem a stretch, but some of these
new smart phones cost 7-9 bills retail, and get a 4 bill subsidy from
the cell carrier.
AFAIK if you fulfill the agreed contract the carrier will unlock a
locked phone. The finance company gives you the car title when you
pay off that contract.
You can pay the price on an unlocked phone, and you can pay for a car
without financing too.

Then they crush the old phone.

No, there are lots of used (refurbished) phones that get used in
secondary markets.

Still being controlled by the telcos and you can bet after this rule,
there will be less of them.

Not really. The big market for used phones is Europe/Asia.
Unless they begin hardware locking GSM phones - which is doubtful -
Europe/Asia won't pay attention to US law.

Interesting that Apple sells their iPhones unlocked here in Canada.

When you've been paying $60 a month on a 2-year contract and were given
a new iPhone when the contract started, of that $60, $20 went to pay for
the phone. After 2 years, you own the phone, and should be able to use
it on any network. But because it's locked to the original carrier,
they expect you'll come back to them after the contract is over and keep
using your 2-year-old phone on their network.

The Telcos here aggressively sell new phones with more features that
eat more minutes.

Sure, and car dealers still sell gas-guzzing cars with bells and
whistles. You can buy them, or not buy them.
Personally, I drive a real cheap Chevy, and our two T-Mobile cell
phones cost us a total of about 75 bucks a year.
Don't even know if they're locked. They were virtually free with the
initial 100 buck Gold prepaid plan.
And I see better unlocked phones at Sears, Walmart, etc., for $50-60.
This ruling appears to address scamming on high-end subsidized phone
prices.
Don't know exactly how that works, but I've seen comments by high-end
phone users (Iphones, etc) on how they profited selling their
subsidized phone after unlocking it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

finger.net wrote:
[...]

Competition is a good thing because it fosters innovation and the
capitalists I know encourage it. You can't seem to get over 19th
Century Robber Barons who are long dead. You remind me of the radical
Islamists who can't get over The Crusades. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

DA wrote:

The Daring Dufas wrote:

[...]

You obviously didn't grok the part where I wrote that ANY President will
appoint cronies who share his/her/its own political beliefs and
have the same agenda when it comes to control. I'm not just critical
of Commiecrats, I get disgusted by Republicrats too. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

You obviously didn't grok the part where I wrote that ANY President will
appoint cronies who share his/her/its own political beliefs and
have the same agenda when it comes to control. I'm not just critical
of Commiecrats, I get disgusted by Republicrats too. ^_^

TDD

And what are doing about is what they count on. The endless tit for tat
juvenile red vs blue arguments keep everyone distracted and simply let
the politicians be purchased and work at the bidding of the purchaser.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers

wrote:

As of Saturday, it became illegal to unlock your cell phone.

I believe that it was the library of congress, not the whitehouse or the
president or the USPTO, that came down with that ruling.

Because circumventing the software inside your phone that locks it to a
specific carrier falls under copyright legislation, and the library of
congress can apparently make some broad rulings about when copyright
rules apply - and when they don't.

There is also the principle of first sale at work here. You *own* the
book you bought and can sell it and your license to its copyright at
any time, to anyone. You can also scribble in it at any time.

I'm probably one of the biggest proponents of intellectual property
there is, but this is a simple give away to big business.

This is mostly aimed at literally crushing the used phone market.
They want you to use your phone until the contract is out and trade
it in on a newer phone with a new contract.

New phones cost the service providers money - because they have to
subsidize the cost (to the tune of hundreds of dollars, some times up to
$650 for iPhone). I'm sure they'd rather not have to do that.

No, they rather like the situation. They *do* recover their
investment with a rather large profit. Though this has little (or
nothing) to do with the situation. The issue is unlocking phones
*AFTER* the contract is over. That is, the phone's costs, and profit,
has already been recovered.

Then they crush the old phone.

No, there are lots of used (refurbished) phones that get used in
secondary markets.

This decision dries that market up completely. In fact, this decision
makes your suggestion that the wireless companies don't like the
"subsidy" market model, ridiculous.

Interesting that Apple sells their iPhones unlocked here in Canada.

Sure, but that has nothing to do with the price of china in cuba.

When you've been paying $60 a month on a 2-year contract and were given
a new iPhone when the contract started, of that $60, $20 went to pay for
the phone. After 2 years, you own the phone, and should be able to use
it on any network. But because it's locked to the original carrier,
they expect you'll come back to them after the contract is over and keep
using your 2-year-old phone on their network.

Exactly. However, under this ruling you wouldn't have the right to
unlock your, now paid for, phone and take it to another carrier, or
sell it to someone who would.

You obviously haven't thought this through.

Posted to alt.home.repair

finger.net wrote:
[...]

No, idiot, it's called big government. Commies (fascists, same thing)
love it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

finger.net wrote:
[...]

What would you expect? He is a Brit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

finger.net wrote:
[...]

You gotta be joking Duf.
Why do you think there are anti-monopoly laws/rules?

Even then they get together to fix prices,eg petrol.
Posted to alt.home.repair

finger.net wrote:
[...]

No ****fer, it's called US government. Over a subjugated slave race.
Posted to alt.home.repair

finger.net wrote:
[...]

And the Iraq expedition/disaster wasn't a crusade?

Posted to alt.home.repair

finger.net wrote:
[...]

I think radical islamists can't get over US recent crusades.
Posted to alt.home.repair

DA wrote:

The Daring Dufas *wrote:

[...]

By the way, the title of this message is ridiculous - if I remember anything from the social sciences classes (and they were mostly late classes, so I was fully awake) - nothing with the word "communism" in it would be compatible with the whole notion of "copyright" as we know it. In theory, there would have been no property, intellectual or otherwise, to which you would not have access to - i.e. free for all - and this is a move in the exactly opposite direction. If your intention was to just slander the sitting President of the U.S. of A. (a punishable offensehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_defamation_law) you should have simply used curse words and man up to the consequences instead of muddying the meaning of your own message that followed.

You DO live in a fascist country!
Posted to alt.home.repair

finger.net wrote:
[...]

The reason for that is very simple
Sadly, a great many people only have capacity for simple thoughts.
And worse, only a few such thoughts at a time
It's very difficult for them to process more and more info.
So they hew to a few simple thoughts..

Posted to alt.home.repair

#
# And the Iraq expedition/disaster wasn't a crusade?
#

Only in your fevered "mind"..

By the way, unlike the West, the Muslims have been on a "crusade" for 1400+
years
It's called "Jihad".
You should study that some time.
Preferably when your handler is there to help you through the harder parts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

finger.net wrote:
[...]

Because a small minority is always willing to operate for their own
immediate good, and forget the bigger game.
It's just like laws addressing crime
They don't really apply to the majority
They apply to a minority who are more than willing to do anything for
their own immediate gratification.
And only fools (such as you) forget that it's such is to control/manage a
minority, and ascribe it to the majority.

Posted to alt.home.repair

finger.net wrote:
[...]

Wrong again, bozo
Radical Jihadists can't get over the Koran telling them to conquer the world
in the name of Islam by any means at their disposal.
Something they have been working at for 1400+ years.
You should study history a bit,
You could avoid demonstrating your abyssal ignorance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

finger.net wrote:
[...]

LOL
Funny that coming from someone even deeper in subjugation

What you are doing harry is projecting.
You are projecting your own status on others to make your own helpless and
reduced status more palatable.

Posted to alt.home.repair

finger.net wrote:
[...]

One of these days, perhaps, you'll learn some English and can then
attempt to make a lucid point.
Posted to alt.home.repair

finger.net wrote:
[...]

My cousin Harry lives in a very controlled society that is rotting from
within due to TOO much Political Correctness and Kafkaesque government
where people are imprisoned for defending themselves from armed home
invaders. Just don't call a police horse "Gay" and you will stay out of
prison. ^_^

TDD

Should I expect this from all house painters? [email protected] Home Repair 23 September 25th 11 07:50 AM
Futures Traders Expect GOP House RBnDFW Metalworking 0 August 10th 10 02:41 PM
Should I expect a failed double-glazing unit to be replaced free of charge? House is five years old. MM UK diy 12 November 20th 09 05:52 PM
WHITE HOUSE!!!! Somerford Home Repair 0 January 22nd 08 10:59 PM
Same Old Message out of White House..."Our" House is Holding Firm [email protected] Home Repair 11 September 7th 06 06:14 PM