Posted to alt.home.repair
Moe DeLoughan[_2_] Moe DeLoughan[_2_] is offline

Default OT, What Did You Expect When A Commiecrat Is In The White House?

On 1/28/2013 11:40 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 28 Jan 2013 23:27:07 -0600, Doug
wrote:

On Mon, 28 Jan 2013 22:40:02 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

As of Saturday, it became illegal to unlock your cell phone. That means,
even if you own it outright, you can't alter the device to make it to
work on another carrier without risking a fine.
TDD

My wife told me about this the other day and I thought it was crazy
for it to apply to an individual. I'm not a phone guy but I wonder
how they find out if the phone is unlocked or not? I've seen ways to
do it for my phone but just didn't seem worth it to me.

This is mostly aimed at literally crushing the used phone market.
They want you to use your phone until the contract is out and trade it
in on a newer phone with a new contract.
Then they crush the old phone.
If you could sell an unlocked phone (or one that could be unlocked) ,
you would not trade it in and they would lose the sale of yet another
new phone..

You can buy unlocked phones and you can unlock the locked phone you
bought once the contract expires. The point of this rule is: you can't
have your cake and eat it, too. If you want the convenience of an
unlocked phone, pay full price. If you want to get a discount on the
phone, buy it locked under contract and abide by the terms of the
contract. Your choice.