Junior Member

Default Question about the workload of Interior Design!?

Hi! I'm a junior in high school looking to major in Interior Design. At first I wanted to go into Architecture, but after a lot of research I came to the conclusion that the workload would have been a little too much considering I would love to join a sorority and get involved in campus life. I've been research the Interior Design major, but haven't been finding much so I was someone on here could give me some information!

Schools I'm thinking about if that helps:
Auburn
Kentucky
and Mizzou

Thank you!
__________________
Luxurious Interior Design London

Last edited by jhonnilot : January 26th 13 at 11:49 PM
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday 18 January 2013 10:30 jhonnilot wrote in alt.home.repair:

Hi! I'm a junior in high school looking to major in Interior Design. At
first I wanted to go into Architecture, but after a lot of research I
came to the conclusion that the workload would have been a little too
much considering I would love to join a sorority and get involved in
campus life. I've been research the Interior Design major, but haven't
been finding much so I was someone on here could give me some
information!

Schools I'm thinking about if that helps:
Auburn
Kentucky
and Mizzou

Thank you!

Being a Brit I have no idea how your Uni/college courses work - though I do
know about the British side because I work at one.

So in general terms I would say:

1) Do you have any natural design aptitude? Have you ever chosen a paint
colour scheme, actually done it and had people agree that it looked good
(and "everything white" does not count!)? Or designed a room layout, even in
your own house? I doubt if that ability could readily be taught. Enhanced
perhaps with a toolset of skills, but not if there's nothing there to begin
with. You could be taught technical skills with oil painting, but that will
not automatically make you Rembrandt.

1a) Related point - can you visualise 3D in your head? Are you good with
spacial distances? If I showed you a picture of a sofa and a picture of a
room, would you know exactly how the sofa would look in the room without
resorting to CAD? Some people are naturally good at this, some people are
completely hopeless. I do not think it is an absolute problem, but it is
significant.

2) Is an Architecture course so much harder that you really don't think you
could manage it or afford it? If you can become an accredited architect
(certified, however that works where you are) I suspect you will always find
work. Doesn't have to be the Empire State Building - plenty of "ordinary"
work doing homes and apartments too.

3) Do you really need a course for Interior Design (cf point 1 above) -
perhaps taking an internship with a respectable design company could teach
you a lot more. Might take longer, but you'll have the exposure to practical
skills that universities do not always teach. If you show aptitude, at least
you are likely to walk straight into a job with them - or another company
they recommend you to.

Choosing how to spend a few years in a life affecting way is always a hard
choice - worth spending some time.

What you should be able to do is visit some of those colleges (etc) that you
are thinking of, ask some questions - one of which should be "what
percentage of your alumni get jobs in the field of Interior Design?".

Good luck

--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

"It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent
moral busybodies."

Posted to alt.home.repair

jhonnilot wrote:
Hi! I'm a junior in high school looking to major in Interior Design.
At first I wanted to go into Architecture, but after a lot of
research I came to the conclusion that the workload would have been a
little too much considering I would love to join a sorority and get
involved in campus life. I've been research the Interior Design
major, but haven't been finding much so I was someone on here could
give me some information!

College is four years, what you learn in college is forever.

If you plan to have a life long career after graduating, go for the
architecture.

If you plan to have an occasional or part time career, a college degree
isn't needed for interior design. That is not to say that courses in design
would not be useful, merely that no degree or licensing is needed for
interior design.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 18 Jan 2013 10:30:21 +0000, jhonnilot
wrote:

Hi! I'm a junior in high school looking to major in Interior Design. At
first I wanted to go into Architecture, but after a lot of research I
came to the conclusion that the workload would have been a little too
much considering I would love to join a sorority and get involved in
campus life. I've been research the Interior Design major, but haven't
been finding much so I was someone on here could give me some
information!

Schools I'm thinking about if that helps:
Auburn
Kentucky
and Mizzou

Thank you!

Since party time is a higher priority than your chosen career, I'd
suggest taking art or basket weaving. It would be much less stress on
your brain when you are hung over.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Hi! I'm a junior in high school looking to major in Interior Design.
At first I wanted to go into Architecture, but after a lot of
research I came to the conclusion that the workload would have been
a little too much considering I would love to join a sorority and
get involved in campus life. I've been research the Interior Design
major, but haven't been finding much so I was someone on here could
give me some information!

Schools I'm thinking about if that helps:
Auburn
Kentucky
and Mizzou

Thank you!

Since party time is a higher priority than your chosen career, I'd
suggest taking art or basket weaving. It would be much less stress on
your brain when you are hung over.

+1

--
PV

"Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and
drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever."

- Aristophanes

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 18 Jan 2013 21:54:05 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote
in Re Question about

wrote:

Hi! I'm a junior in high school looking to major in Interior Design. At
first I wanted to go into Architecture, but after a lot of research I
came to the conclusion that the workload would have been a little too
much considering I would love to join a sorority and get involved in
campus life. I've been research the Interior Design major, but haven't
been finding much so I was someone on here could give me some
information!

Schools I'm thinking about if that helps:
Auburn
Kentucky
and Mizzou

Thank you!

Since party time is a higher priority than your chosen career, I'd
suggest taking art or basket weaving. It would be much less stress on
your brain when you are hung over.

Even better, just skip college and save your parents the $$. (Or where
you planning to work/pay your way through?)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"jhonnilot" wrote in message

Hi! I'm a junior in high school looking to major in Interior Design. At
first I wanted to go into Architecture, but after a lot of research I
came to the conclusion that the workload would have been a little too
much considering I would love to join a sorority and get involved in
campus life. I've been research the Interior Design major, but haven't
been finding much so I was someone on here could give me some
information!

Schools I'm thinking about if that helps:
Auburn
Kentucky
and Mizzou

Thank you!

Clearly someone who has a skewed opinion about what time at a college is
about
1) education
2) join a sorority and have a "campus life"..

You can party much cheaper and even be paid for it, by going as a ski
patroller on a big hill.

If you go to school, do it for the most education you can get. "Campus life"
should ONLY be a sideline activity that you fit in around your studies.
If you go out and get a degree in architecture, you have a good chance of
doing FAR BETTER for the rest of your life. It also means that you will have
a shot at a much better social life FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 19 Jan 2013 08:52:56 -0600, "Attila Iskander"
wrote:

"jhonnilot" wrote in message

[...]

Delayed gratification? What kind of nut are you?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"jhonnilot" wrote in message

[...]

A mature nut..

My biggest discoveries in college was during frosh week.
While other guy was busy getting drunk, their dates were not
Since they were limiting their consumption, , they were more than
happy to hang out with a guy who also limited his consumption.
In many instances, I was the one who walked them home or to their dorms
I never had a problem getting a date.
And I was always a popular partner to events whenever a girl needed an
escort.
Consequently, being the early 70s, at the height of the "sexual revolution",
my odds of not sleeping in my bed that night were more than excellent.

I'll admit with hindsight, that a lot of it may have been "vengeance sex"
But I had no problems with that.

Interior Design Schools [email protected] Home Ownership 0 April 26th 08 02:40 AM
My Interior Design Sahril UK diy 0 November 12th 07 09:37 PM
Interior Design - Do It Yourself Tips trav UK diy 1 November 4th 07 12:54 AM
Pet Friendly Design - Solving Interior Design Problems for Dog Owners trav Home Repair 0 October 22nd 07 04:29 PM
Kitchen Design 3D programs, Interior 3D design, Landscape design programs, futa UK diy 0 November 16th 05 10:20 PM