Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ceiling fan

My Hampton Bay ceiling fan and light-kit no longer turn on when I pull the pull-chains. (The circuit-breaker did not trip).

I discovered the bolts that attached two of the blades to the fan motor were VERY loose to the point that the blades were at a very noticeable down-angle. (I've since re-tightened the bolts).

Does the ceiling-fan have a reset button that needs pushing so I can avoid the dreaded climb into the attic crawl-space to check the wiring? If "Yes", where is the reset button located?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/7/2013 7:14 PM, . wrote:
My Hampton Bay ceiling fan and light-kit no longer turn on when I
pull the pull-chains. (The circuit-breaker did not trip).

I discovered the bolts that attached two of the blades to the fan
motor were VERY loose to the point that the blades were at a very
noticeable down-angle. (I've since re-tightened the bolts).

Does the ceiling-fan have a reset button that needs pushing so I can
avoid the dreaded climb into the attic crawl-space to check the
wiring? If "Yes", where is the reset button located?

Um, did you check the bulb/s? O_o

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 7 Jan 2013 17:14:41 -0800 (PST), "."
wrote:

My Hampton Bay ceiling fan and light-kit no longer turn on when I pull the pull-chains. (The circuit-breaker did not trip).

I discovered the bolts that attached two of the blades to the fan motor were VERY loose to the point that the blades were at a very noticeable down-angle. (I've since re-tightened the bolts).

Does the ceiling-fan have a reset button that needs pushing so I can avoid the dreaded climb into the attic crawl-space to check the wiring? If "Yes", where is the reset button located?

The switch probably broke. Home Despot sells them and they're fairly
easy to install for anyone that is even moderately handy. I replaced
mine (it was bad when we bought the house) with a 3-way switch so I
can dim the damned CFLs.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/7/2013 8:14 PM, . wrote:
My Hampton Bay ceiling fan and light-kit no longer turn on when I pull the pull-chains. (The circuit-breaker did not trip).

I discovered the bolts that attached two of the blades to the fan motor were VERY loose to the point that the blades were at a very noticeable down-angle. (I've since re-tightened the bolts).

Does the ceiling-fan have a reset button that needs pushing so I can avoid the dreaded climb into the attic crawl-space to check the wiring? If "Yes", where is the reset button located?

They don't have any reset. Since neither the fan or the lights work, it
is unlikely that two pull chain switches went bad simultaneously. It is
most likely a loose wiring connection where the 3 wires of the fan
connect to the 2 power wires.
Posted to alt.home.repair

.. wrote:
My Hampton Bay ceiling fan and light-kit no longer turn on when I
pull the pull-chains. (The circuit-breaker did not trip).

I discovered the bolts that attached two of the blades to the fan
motor were VERY loose to the point that the blades were at a very
noticeable down-angle. (I've since re-tightened the bolts).

Does the ceiling-fan have a reset button that needs pushing so I can
avoid the dreaded climb into the attic crawl-space to check the
wiring? If "Yes", where is the reset button located?

Does the fan also use a remote?

I had the same problem with some fans in a house my wife inherited. I don't
recall the details but there *was* some sort of reset thingy in the innards.
Our solution was to just bypass it.

--

dadiOH

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks, RBM

I really didn't think the problem was with the pull-chain switches so I'll take the fan down and check the wiring connection.