Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Basement wall finishing

Earlier this summer, I removed my radiant/boiler system and installed a
furnace/blower system. Prior to the install, one part of prepping procedures
consisted of removing my basement drop ceiling for duct installation. The
walls are 2x2 studs, insulation and paneling, which were painted when I
purchased the house. My plan is to enclose the new furnace and since the
drop ceiling is still down, I thought I would seize the opportunity to
remove the paneling and install drywall, which will also eliminate the need
to repair some of the walls which contained openings and holes where the
copper pipe protruded from the radiant heating. It'll also allow me to
remove the remaining copper pipes in the walls.

Though I eagerly anticipate the new walls, I hesitate due to the taping,
drywall compound, sanding, etc. and thought about basement wall systems
which I've seen here and there, but they require the start from bare walls.
I prefer to leave the studs and insulation in and simply install another
wall panel (drywall). Therefore, I'm wondering if anyone is aware of a
simple wall system which will allow me to remove the panels and install the
new walls, but minus the tedious task of compound, sanding, etc. I'm aware a
drywall finished basement will be the best aesthetically, but anything is
still better than paneling. If I have to drywall and mud, so be it, but I
thought I'd try to discover something which may be easier, first.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 14, 8:45*pm, "Meanie" wrote:
[...]

You could use H-channels along the sides of the sheet-rock panels, but
you would have to start in one end or corner and then do each one
separately since the sheet-rock will not bend enuf to allow you to
prelocate all the channels.

What's so bad about taping and mudding and sanding? A good vacuum
hooked up to your sander will keep the dust down, and if you open a
basement window and pressurize the house, you shouldn't get much dust
out of the basement except what you track up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 14 Dec 2012 21:45:44 -0500, "Meanie" wrote:

[...]

I know guys who have taped trywall, finishing with a damp sponge to
the point VERY little sanding was required. Hiring a good drywaller is
a LOT cheaper than having a basement wall sytem installed.. My
daughter's small basement was quoted at $25,000. We did it in
paperless (fiberglass) drywall for less than 1/10.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 15, 11:50*am, "Meanie" wrote:
"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message

-snip-

I know guys who have taped trywall, finishing with a damp sponge to
the point VERY little sanding was required.

The guy who taught me would do a room with a sponge- and I'd paint it
the next day. * *NO* sanding- ever. * * I'm not as good, but I
*rarely* sand anything in my house.

Hiring a good drywaller is
a LOT cheaper than having a basement wall sytem installed..

You owe it to yourself to see it done right one time. * A good crew is
worth he price of admission just to watch.

Jim

I agree. I actually hired a guy to do a room for me when I first bought my
house. The entire room was paneled and *wanted it gone. Unfortunately, the
underside was glued on and was a PITA to remove. The drywall finisher coated
the room with mud and did a superb job. I think I'll stick with the drywall
and hire him again. Straight seams and corners should be a breeze for him..- Hide quoted text -

My wife is bugging me to get rid of the paneling in our family room/my
office. I like the paneling and was considering painting it to lightn
it up. The only other alternative I considered was to rip the
paneling down, it is only nailed to the studs. I did not consider
mudding over the entire room because I was concerned about the mud
cracking at every seam in the paneling. I had not thought about
taping over the seams and then mudding. Exactly how did you do it??
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 15, 1:38*pm, "Meanie" wrote:
"hr(bob) " wrote in message

On Dec 15, 11:50 am, "Meanie" wrote:

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message

.. .

wrote:
-snip-

[...]

Perhaps I should elaborate.

He didn't coat over the paneling, I removed all the paneling to discover the
contact adhesive on the drywall. I tried to scrape the dried glue off which
probably would have taken me weeks. Therefore, instead of removing the glue,
the drywall guy mudded the walls over the glue.

The idea of applying mud over paneling was something the wife and I thought
of also for the basement. I would think the main problem would be adhesion.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Meanie" wrote in message ...

[...]

Any size project is worth hiring a professional. I had a rocker hang &
finish a kitchen & dining room in one day. Both rooms were a total wall gut
job, which I did myself. He skim coated the ceilings in both rooms, plus
the living room/foyer & hall. Primed everything, then did a knock down
texture on kitchen/dining/living room/ foyer & hall within the next 2 days.
Final cost: $1,800.

I offered to help carry in the 10' sheets, and the way he moved, I was just
in the way.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 15, 5:14*pm, "Andy" wrote:
"Meanie" wrote in ....

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
.. .
wrote:
-snip-

[...]

in the way.- Hide quoted text -

And exactly how did you locate this paragon of a drywall finisher?

basement finishing Gary Home Repair 1 August 11th 07 07:48 PM
Help, finishing basement MW Home Repair 12 May 2nd 07 03:34 PM
Finishing a Basement nateneu2424 Home Repair 6 August 6th 06 02:26 AM
finishing my basement [email protected] Home Repair 6 September 14th 05 06:15 PM
Finishing exterior basement wall Corey872 Home Repair 2 February 2nd 04 12:52 AM