Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Basement wall finishing

On Dec 15, 1:38*pm, "Meanie" wrote:
"hr(bob) " wrote in message

On Dec 15, 11:50 am, "Meanie" wrote:

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message

.. .

wrote:
-snip-

I know guys who have taped trywall, finishing with a damp sponge to
the point VERY little sanding was required.

The guy who taught me would do a room with a sponge- and I'd paint it
the next day. *NO* sanding- ever. I'm not as good, but I
*rarely* sand anything in my house.

Hiring a good drywaller is
a LOT cheaper than having a basement wall sytem installed..

You owe it to yourself to see it done right one time. A good crew is
worth he price of admission just to watch.

Jim

I agree. I actually hired a guy to do a room for me when I first bought my
house. The entire room was paneled and wanted it gone. Unfortunately, the
underside was glued on and was a PITA to remove. The drywall finisher
coated
the room with mud and did a superb job. I think I'll stick with the
drywall
and hire him again. Straight seams and corners should be a breeze for
him.- Hide quoted text -

My wife is bugging me to get rid of the paneling in our family room/my
office. *I like the paneling and was considering painting it to lightn
it up. *The only other alternative I considered was to rip the
paneling down, it is only nailed to the studs. *I did not consider
mudding over the entire room because I was concerned about the mud
cracking at every seam in the paneling. *I had not thought about
taping over the seams and then mudding. *Exactly how did you do it??

Perhaps I should elaborate.

He didn't coat over the paneling, I removed all the paneling to discover the
contact adhesive on the drywall. I tried to scrape the dried glue off which
probably would have taken me weeks. Therefore, instead of removing the glue,
the drywall guy mudded the walls over the glue.

The idea of applying mud over paneling was something the wife and I thought
of also for the basement. I would think the main problem would be adhesion.