Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Basement wall finishing

On Dec 14, 8:45*pm, "Meanie" wrote:
Earlier this summer, I removed my radiant/boiler system and installed a
furnace/blower system. Prior to the install, one part of prepping procedures
consisted of removing my basement drop ceiling for duct installation. The
walls are 2x2 studs, insulation and paneling, which were painted when I
purchased the house. My plan is to enclose the new furnace and since the
drop ceiling is still down, I thought I would seize the opportunity to
remove the paneling and install drywall, which will also eliminate the need
to repair some of the walls which contained openings and holes where the
copper pipe protruded from the radiant heating. It'll also allow me to
remove the remaining copper pipes in the walls.

Though I eagerly anticipate the new walls, I hesitate due to the taping,
drywall compound, sanding, etc. and thought about basement wall systems
which I've seen here and there, but they require the start from bare walls.
I prefer to leave the studs and insulation in and simply install another
wall panel (drywall). Therefore, I'm wondering if anyone is aware of a
simple wall system which will allow me to remove the panels and install the
new walls, but minus the tedious task of compound, sanding, etc. I'm aware a
drywall finished basement will be the best aesthetically, but anything is
still better than paneling. If I have to drywall and mud, so be it, but I
thought I'd try to discover something which may be easier, first.

Thanks

You could use H-channels along the sides of the sheet-rock panels, but
you would have to start in one end or corner and then do each one
separately since the sheet-rock will not bend enuf to allow you to
prelocate all the channels.

What's so bad about taping and mudding and sanding? A good vacuum
hooked up to your sander will keep the dust down, and if you open a
basement window and pressurize the house, you shouldn't get much dust
out of the basement except what you track up.