Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What is This Cabinet Finish?

Hi,

I don't get what this is. Looks like a fine film that came off a bathroom
cabinet in a couple small places and was overhanging an edge. It curled up
as I removed it from the edge. If someone knows what this is and how to
repair the small spots I'd be appreciative.

Photos he

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ladedah/?saved=1

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/11/2012 7:02 PM, James Harvey wrote:
Hi,

I don't get what this is. Looks like a fine film that came off a bathroom
cabinet in a couple small places and was overhanging an edge. It curled up
as I removed it from the edge. If someone knows what this is and how to
repair the small spots I'd be appreciative.

Photos he

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ladedah/?saved=1

It's paper with printing made to look like real wood. Not at all
unusual. Probably cheap pressed board underneath. No repair. Try to
strop off all the old stuff and replace it. Available at all home
improvement stores.

Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair

James Harvey wrote:
Hi,

I don't get what this is. Looks like a fine film that came off a
bathroom cabinet in a couple small places and was overhanging an
edge. It curled up as I removed it from the edge. If someone knows
what this is and how to repair the small spots I'd be appreciative.

It's paint. Probably oil paint.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Maybe just ready for a change? Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, December 11, 2012 9:22:54 PM UTC-6, Paul Drahn wrote:
On 12/11/2012 7:02 PM, James Harvey wrote: Hi, I don't get what this is. Looks like a fine film that came off a bathroom cabinet in a couple small places and was overhanging an edge. It curled up as I removed it from the edge. If someone knows what this is and how to repair the small spots I'd be appreciative. Photos he http://www.flickr.com/photos/ladedah/?saved=1 It's paper with printing made to look like real wood. Not at all unusual. Probably cheap pressed board underneath. No repair. Try to strop off all the old stuff and replace it. Available at all home improvement stores. Paul

Seems awfully brittle for paper. Flakes easily. The cabinet itself is only a few months old.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/11/2012 10:22 PM, Paul Drahn wrote:
On 12/11/2012 7:02 PM, James Harvey wrote:
Hi,

I don't get what this is. Looks like a fine film that came off a
bathroom
cabinet in a couple small places and was overhanging an edge. It
curled up
as I removed it from the edge. If someone knows what this is and how to
repair the small spots I'd be appreciative.

Photos he

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ladedah/?saved=1

It's paper with printing made to look like real wood. Not at all
unusual. Probably cheap pressed board underneath. No repair. Try to
strop off all the old stuff and replace it. Available at all home
improvement stores.

Paul

The photo looks like there is real wood under a really bad, peeling and
cracking paint job. Is the peeling stuff brittle? If so, it looks like
enamel that was applied without a primer and then perhaps got some
moisture intrusion to cause it to peel.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, December 12, 2012 7:50:29 AM UTC-6, NorMinn wrote:
On 12/11/2012 10:22 PM, Paul Drahn wrote: On 12/11/2012 7:02 PM, James Harvey wrote: Hi, I don't get what this is. Looks like a fine film that came off a bathroom cabinet in a couple small places and was overhanging an edge. It curled up as I removed it from the edge. If someone knows what this is and how to repair the small spots I'd be appreciative. Photos he http://www.flickr.com/photos/ladedah/?saved=1 It's paper with printing made to look like real wood. Not at all unusual. Probably cheap pressed board underneath. No repair. Try to strop off all the old stuff and replace it. Available at all home improvement stores. Paul The photo looks like there is real wood under a really bad, peeling and cracking paint job. Is the peeling stuff brittle? If so, it looks like enamel that was applied without a primer and then perhaps got some moisture intrusion to cause it to peel.

I suppose thst's possible The finish material is very thin and brittle.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, December 11, 2012 10:06:23 PM UTC-6, ktos wrote:
James Harvey wrote in thlink.net: Hi, I don't get what this is. Looks like a fine film that came off a bathroom cabinet in a couple small places and was overhanging an edge. It curled up as I removed it from the edge. If someone knows what this is and how to repair the small spots I'd be appreciative. Photos he http://www.flickr.com/photos/ladedah/?saved=1 Some kind of cheap cardboard.

Nothing surprises me anymore :/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 11 Dec 2012 21:02:20 -0600, James Harvey
wrote:

Hi,

I don't get what this is. Looks like a fine film that came off a bathroom
cabinet in a couple small places and was overhanging an edge. It curled up
as I removed it from the edge. If someone knows what this is and how to
repair the small spots I'd be appreciative.

Photos he

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ladedah/?saved=1

Looks like a lacquer paint applied to a poorly prepped surface.
You can try to repaint, but probably best to remove all of it first.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 12 Dec 2012 14:38:03 -0600, Vic Smith wrote
(in article ):

wrote:

Hi,

I don't get what this is. Looks like a fine film that came off a bathroom
cabinet in a couple small places and was overhanging an edge. It curled up
as I removed it from the edge. If someone knows what this is and how to
repair the small spots I'd be appreciative.

Photos he

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ladedah/?saved=1

Looks like a lacquer paint applied to a poorly prepped surface.
You can try to repaint, but probably best to remove all of it first.

Hm. Stripping the entire cabinet is not exactly what I had in mind but it
may be best to do that. I'm pretty big on DIY but I may let a pro handle
this.