Emmy Dubbs

Default cabinet door finish

Need some cheap advice. I've built my kitchen cabinet boxes/drawers
etc from some very nice prefinishished birch ply. I don't have the
time or interest to toil over the doors, so I've ordered them from a
shop. I'm going with maple recessed flat panel with square frames,
sort of like a maple shaker style. I'll use some contemporary nickel
or stainless bar pulls etc for a clean contemporary look. Not going
to use stain, just a clear finish. I'm not much into finishing, but
do have a spray gun. Any advice on how to best finish these doors
myself. Thanks

Matt
David

Matt, Enduro is water borne; either lac or poly is available in a wide
assortment of sheens. go to http://www.compliantspraysystems.com/
It comes water clear or with a warming tint.

Get the Crosslinker for better durability. Enduro is an excellent WB
finish. Oh, and use the Conditioner instead of water for thinning.

Dave

Emmy Dubbs wrote:

Need some cheap advice. I've built my kitchen cabinet boxes/drawers
etc from some very nice prefinishished birch ply. I don't have the
time or interest to toil over the doors, so I've ordered them from a
shop. I'm going with maple recessed flat panel with square frames,
sort of like a maple shaker style. I'll use some contemporary nickel
or stainless bar pulls etc for a clean contemporary look. Not going
to use stain, just a clear finish. I'm not much into finishing, but
do have a spray gun. Any advice on how to best finish these doors
myself. Thanks

Matt

David

Enduro recommends the poly over their lac for maximum durability.

Dave

Larry Jaques

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 16:07:54 GMT, the inscrutable Emmy Dubbs
spake:

Need some cheap advice. I've built my kitchen cabinet boxes/drawers
etc from some very nice prefinishished birch ply. I don't have the
time or interest to toil over the doors, so I've ordered them from a
shop. I'm going with maple recessed flat panel with square frames,
sort of like a maple shaker style. I'll use some contemporary nickel
or stainless bar pulls etc for a clean contemporary look. Not going
to use stain, just a clear finish. I'm not much into finishing, but
do have a spray gun. Any advice on how to best finish these doors
myself. Thanks

If I were to redo the cabinets in my house, I'd use Waterlox. The tung
and linseed oils pop the grain and the varnish and tung oil provide a
tough, waterproof seal. I just picked up a gallon for $45.99 at
www.woodfinishingsupplies.com . I prefer to wipe it on.

Was that an African + http://www.diversify.com
or European Swallow? + Gourmet Web Applications
Capt. 321

I just completed a similar project. Used pine for the face frames and
drawer fronts and cabinet door frames and birch plywood for the door
panels. I used satin poly -- three coats -- applied with foam brush and
got a very satisfactory result.