Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

Default Why did dishwashers switch to "garden hose" 3/4" inlet from 3/8"compression fitting?

I was installing a new dishwasher last night. When I got to the supply
line connection I was amazed to see that the dishwasher had a plastic
3/4" "garden hose" male fitting rather than what I thought was the
standard 3/8" compression fitting. So this morning I had to make a trip
to HD to pick up a "Garden Hose Dishwasher Elbow"
http://www.keeneymfg.com/featured_products/33-Garden-Hose-Dishwasher-Elbow
which of course it took three people to find.

Apparently Whirlpool made this change on all of their dishwashers in
2009 (Maytag, Amana, Kitchen Aid, Whirlpool, and Jenn-Air). I'm sure
there must be a reason for it, but it seems like a ridiculous design.

How much did they save by using a molded plastic 3/4" garden hose
connector versus a metal compression fitting? The adapter was only
$3.36, but it was annoying that I couldn't finish the installation until
the next morning.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 09 Dec 2012 16:32:59 -0800, SMS
wrote:

I was installing a new dishwasher last night. When I got to the supply
line connection I was amazed to see that the dishwasher had a plastic
3/4" "garden hose" male fitting rather than what I thought was the
standard 3/8" compression fitting. So this morning I had to make a trip
to HD to pick up a "Garden Hose Dishwasher Elbow"
http://www.keeneymfg.com/featured_products/33-Garden-Hose-Dishwasher-Elbow
which of course it took three people to find.

Guess it was a bad week for dishwashers [or a good one for folks who
sell themg] My had a spectacularly stinky end-- the whole
electronics panel fried. At least is wasn't some $100 part that
I'd have to consider replacing on my 10 yr old machine.

I got my new one from an old family appliance store- [Marcella's in
Schenectady]. When I went to the warehouse the guy handed me that
fitting & I looked puzzled-- he says;
'you're going to need it- you'll see why.'

A few more reasons to keep those old family businesses going. I
actually paid less for the Whirlpool than Lowes was selling them for--
They had it in stock- it is warranted by *their* repair guys for a
year-- And the warehouse dude gave a $4 part that saved me an hour of
dicking around at Lowed/HD/local plumbing place.

Apparently Whirlpool made this change on all of their dishwashers in
2009 (Maytag, Amana, Kitchen Aid, Whirlpool, and Jenn-Air). I'm sure
there must be a reason for it, but it seems like a ridiculous design.

How much did they save by using a molded plastic 3/4" garden hose
connector versus a metal compression fitting? The adapter was only
$3.36, but it was annoying that I couldn't finish the installation until
the next morning.

As it turned out, mine was a 2-day job, too-- but through no fault of
the seller. They moved the rear support, too, so I had to cut a new
hole for the drain hose--- Then I had a leaker. . . .

If anything, I think the new design is more likely to leak, and cost
more to manufacture-- but what do I know?

But isn't it fun?

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

"SMS" wrote in message ...

[...]

We replaced our WP DW that was 14 years old with another WP. It had that
same set up. Looks like the first place to start leaking. WW

Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 12/9/2012 5:52 PM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

If anything, I think the new design is more likely to leak, and cost
more to manufacture-- but what do I know?

Perhaps the idea is that the garden hose swivel makes it easier for
supply lines that come in from different directions (left, right, or
rear) to not have to make sharp turns, though I can't ever remember
having such a problem.
Senior Member

I expect they were having problems with people complaining that if you undid that compression fitting connection (to move the dishwasher out for service, say), it could be a problem getting that connection not to leak when you redid it.

The problem now is that rubber supply hoses to dish washers are gonna burst just as often as rubber supply hoses to clothes washing machines.

If I were you, I would replace the rubber hose to your dishwasher with a braided stainless steel hose, just like the ones they make for clothes washing machines.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 12/9/2012 8:12 PM, nestork wrote:
I expect they were having problems with people complaining that if you
undid that compression fitting connection (to move the dishwasher out
for service, say), it could be a problem getting that connection not to
leak when you redid it.

The problem now is that rubber supply hoses to dish washers are gonna
burst just as often as rubber supply hoses to clothes washing machines.

If I were you, I would replace the rubber hose to your dishwasher with a
braided stainless steel hose, just like the ones they make for clothes
washing machines.

No one is using rubber supply hoses for dishwashers. What would make you
think such a thing?

Actually the braided hoses give a false sense of security. My friend
just had one burst on his dishwasher and it was only six years old,
http://i48.tinypic.com/21lvel4.jpg.

What you want to use on all your faucets, toilets, dishwasher, ice
maker, and washing machine are FloodSafe® hoses
http://www.watts.com/pages/whatsnew/floodsafe_connectors.asp. They're
not even that much more expensive than plain braided hoses. Home Depot
sells some, but I ordered mine on Amazon.
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"SMS" wrote in message
[...]

I have installed 5 dishwashers over the many years that I have owned a
dishwasher. EVERY dishwasher that I installed had a different arrangement.
The plumbing and electrical connections were in different locations with
different clearances for the connections to the house plumbing and power.
This was with the same brands but different years. I have always converted
the electrical connection to a heavy duty cord and plug, and used a flex
hose for the water supply. Even with flexible connections I have had to move
or adjust the water supply and electric supply on every install to fit where
the manufacturer provided a space for them to exist.

The last one I installed was a Bosch and it used a 3/8" compression female
thread to connect to the supply with the electric valve attached very close
to the water connection so that the hose to the machine is not pressurized
when not in use.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

The link states:

"The 90 degree elbow is a swivel, for easy alignment."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 10 Dec 2012 07:32:39 -0800, SMS
wrote:

[...]

That hose must have been rubbing against something that cut through
the braid. Water pressure didn't break those stainless steel strands.
What you want to use on all your faucets, toilets, dishwasher, ice
maker, and washing machine are FloodSafe® hoses
http://www.watts.com/pages/whatsnew/floodsafe_connectors.asp. They're
not even that much more expensive than plain braided hoses. Home Depot
sells some, but I ordered mine on Amazon.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to SMS, Mike Thomas wrote:
I have a whirlpool dishwasher with a female connection pipe thread for the
water line can you tell me if that is a standard NPT thread ?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...om-726734-.htm