Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Reroofing in this weather?

Hmmm,
My next door neighbor had reroofing job done in the snow with temp. of
10 deg. or so below freezing. Wondering if that was a good idea? I
noticed work crew was Mexican family including woman.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:

My next door neighbor had reroofing job done in the snow with temp.
of 10 deg. or so below freezing. Wondering if that was a good idea?

Conventional theory says that putting up shingle (I assume we're talking
about asphalt shingles) in the cold is bad practice. Shingles are
brittle, prone to developing internal cracks while being handled /
walked on, and won't seal / flatten out properly (which is a problem
when its windy).

I noticed work crew was Mexican family including woman.

Home construction has ground to a halt in the US. Those people gota
work somewhere.

Or else they buy a few extra power tools and call themselves cabinet
makers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Home Guy wrote:
Tony Hwang wrote:

My next door neighbor had reroofing job done in the snow with temp.
of 10 deg. or so below freezing. Wondering if that was a good idea?

Conventional theory says that putting up shingle (I assume we're talking
about asphalt shingles) in the cold is bad practice. Shingles are
brittle, prone to developing internal cracks while being handled /
walked on, and won't seal / flatten out properly (which is a problem
when its windy).

Hmmm,
Stacks of shingles were delivered onto the roof top couple weeks ago
getting frozen pretty good, Huh? Way up there on a 2 story house.
Probably they got some discount but I can hardly think it's worth while.
Will see when next summer comes around.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 07 Dec 2012 19:12:57 -0700, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Hmmm,
My next door neighbor had reroofing job done in the snow with temp. of
10 deg. or so below freezing. Wondering if that was a good idea? I
noticed work crew was Mexican family including woman.

Certainly not the best time, but if the roof had other serious issues,
better to replace it before the ice and snow do more damage to the
decking.

Women can swing a hammer too. Not the one I'm married to though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Hmmm,
My next door neighbor had reroofing job done in the snow with temp. of
10 deg. or so below freezing. Wondering if that was a good idea? I
noticed work crew was Mexican family including woman.

I asked my roofer about 2 years this question and they told me until
freezing. If I recall, it had to do with slipping off the roof.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/7/2012 9:12 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Hmmm,
My next door neighbor had reroofing job done in the snow with temp. of
10 deg. or so below freezing. Wondering if that was a good idea? I
noticed work crew was Mexican family including woman.

I did a porch roof in November, Chicago area, a bunch of years ago.
Roof was on the north side of the house. Those shingles never did
properly seal down, even though that was a warmer year. I would
personally wait for warmer weather where you can have some good direct
sun.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/7/2012 8:12 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Hmmm,
My next door neighbor had reroofing job done in the snow with temp. of
10 deg. or so below freezing. Wondering if that was a good idea? I
noticed work crew was Mexican family including woman.

One spring back during the housing bubble my next door neighbor hired
a girlfriend's husband's roofing company to put on a new roof. The
couple split shortly afterward, and ex-hubby apparently was in no
hurry to take care of one of his ex-wive's friends. He stalled her
right into the end of December, when, in a typical Minnesota winter, I
got to watch a couple guys lift a snowblower onto the roof and blow
off all the snow so they could do the tear-off. A week later and they
were back, shoveling the snow off the temporary tarp covering, and
finally putting down the new shingles. They didn't get back to do the
flashing till spring.

My neighbor is a very kind and generous woman, so she felt sorry for
this guy and let him take advantage of her this way. OTOH, it's been
nearly a decade and the roof's still sound, so...shrug
Senior Member

The granules on the shingles will give you good traction provided all you have is wind and rain. Once it snows, however, the grandules get covered with snow and crawling up onto a snow covered roof can be very dangerous.

Best to talk to some roofing contractors in your area. In some areas of the USA, "winter" is when you have to put on a sweater or even wear a rain coat, and you can do that kind of work year-round.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Women can swing a hammer too. Not the one I'm married to though.

Oh, I don't know. I'll bet she could hit your head with it, given
provocation.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 12 Dec 2012 06:04:43 -0800, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Women can swing a hammer too. Not the one I'm married to though.

Oh, I don't know. I'll bet she could hit your head with it, given
provocation.

That is possible, but she has never driven a nail that I'm aware of.
Not held a gas pump hose, tire iron, checked oil or air pressure.

Download Weather Toolbar - Instant weather reports, forecasts, and make me friend Electronics Repair 0 February 17th 08 11:44 AM
reroofing my Mansard w/flat roof oldhomeowner Home Repair 1 August 24th 06 11:55 PM
Reroofing question Steve B Home Repair 5 May 22nd 06 05:58 AM
reroofing cost estimate John W Gintell Home Repair 13 October 5th 05 09:48 PM
Chimney repair & reroofing question Michael Ray Home Repair 2 March 28th 05 11:19 PM