John W Gintell

Default reroofing cost estimate

Anyone have any thoughts on the cost of reroofing in order to evaluate
some estimates? In New England.

Currently I need to have new roofing 21 x 21 hip roof garage which
needs new shingles.

Remove old stuff, 30 yr shingles, new roofing paper, new drip caps.
Travis Jordan

John W Gintell wrote:
Anyone have any thoughts on the cost of reroofing in order to evaluate
some estimates? In New England.

http://www.improvenet.com/HomeOwner/.../re_index.html

JA

"Travis Jordan" wrote in message
. ..
John W Gintell wrote:
Anyone have any thoughts on the cost of reroofing in order to evaluate
some estimates? In New England.

http://www.improvenet.com/HomeOwner/.../re_index.html

And the estimate I just got was 20% under the lowest estimate I got for a
re-roofing
job last year.

G Henslee

John W Gintell wrote:

Anyone have any thoughts on the cost of reroofing in order to evaluate
some estimates? In New England.

http://www.improvenet.com/HomeOwner/.../re_index.html

And the estimate I just got was 20% under the lowest estimate I got for a
re-roofing
job last year.

Then you're a helluva long way from CA.
Edwin Pawlowski

"John W Gintell" wrote in message
Anyone have any thoughts on the cost of reroofing in order to evaluate
some estimates? In New England.

Currently I need to have new roofing 21 x 21 hip roof garage which needs
new shingles.

Remove old stuff, 30 yr shingles, new roofing paper, new drip caps.

I just paid $63,000 for 68 square, but that includes tearoff of 3 layers,
some decking and scaffolding as it was a very high roof.

Yours is a simple job so ask the neighbors who they used and if they were
happy with the results.

G Henslee

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"John W Gintell" wrote in message

Anyone have any thoughts on the cost of reroofing in order to evaluate
some estimates? In New England.

Currently I need to have new roofing 21 x 21 hip roof garage which needs
new shingles.

Remove old stuff, 30 yr shingles, new roofing paper, new drip caps.

I just paid $63,000 for 68 square, but that includes tearoff of 3 layers,
some decking and scaffolding as it was a very high roof.

Yours is a simple job so ask the neighbors who they used and if they were
happy with the results.

R U sure 'bout that figure?
Edwin Pawlowski

"G Henslee" wrote in message
I just paid $63,000 for 68 square, but that includes tearoff of 3 layers,
some decking and scaffolding as it was a very high roof.

Yours is a simple job so ask the neighbors who they used and if they were
happy with the results.

R U sure 'bout that figure?

Yep, the invoice is on my desk. This was on a three story building. The
figure I gave did not include other work for $23,000 on other flat sections.
The crew worked on it over two weeks. This was the lowest of two bids. A
few other roofers would not even attempt to quote the job let alone do it.

JA

John W Gintell wrote:

Anyone have any thoughts on the cost of reroofing in order to evaluate
some estimates? In New England.

http://www.improvenet.com/HomeOwner/.../re_index.html

And the estimate I just got was 20% under the lowest estimate I got for a
re-roofing
job last year.

Then you're a helluva long way from CA.

Huh? Let me try again: The estimate I got using the improvenet.com
estimator
was 20% lower than the lowest actual estimate that I got a little over a
year
ago when I was having my roof done. I'm on the east coast. Don't know
about
California, but if you think the improvenet.com estimator is going to give
you
an accurate figure, you may be in for an unpleasant surprise.

Colbyt

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
. ..

"John W Gintell" wrote in message
Anyone have any thoughts on the cost of reroofing in order to evaluate
some estimates? In New England.

Currently I need to have new roofing 21 x 21 hip roof garage which

needs
new shingles.

Remove old stuff, 30 yr shingles, new roofing paper, new drip caps.

I just paid $63,000 for 68 square, but that includes tearoff of 3 layers,
some decking and scaffolding as it was a very high roof.

Yours is a simple job so ask the neighbors who they used and if they were
happy with the results.

Thanks Edwin.

Your post greatly helped me get over "sticker shock" for a roofing contract
I signed last night.

Colbyt

tom

Jim didn't archive but said: "Oh yes, I'm in Houston. My bids averaged
about $150 a square (100
sq-ft)."
Houston's cheap! Tom

Colbyt

John W Gintell wrote:
Anyone have any thoughts on the cost of reroofing in order to evaluate
some estimates? In New England.

http://www.improvenet.com/HomeOwner/.../re_index.html

And the estimate I just got was 20% under the lowest estimate I got for a
re-roofing job last year.

Just this past week I got 4 estimates to reroof my house. When I saw
this thread I went to the website and entered my data. It didn't have
an option that gave my roof area, but when I took the nearest result
and ratioed it to my roof area the range it gave was about 10% higher
than the range of my actual bids.

jim

I also went to the site after reading this post. After modifying the roof
square footage to allow for porches, detached garage and the total liner
feet of gutters (must be used for drip edge calculations) the estimator
said $4,255 to $5,319. I signed a contract for $4600 and me to furnish all
1X lumber needed for decking repair. All other materials and trash removal
are to be provided by him. Labor for the decking is included unless there is
an excessive amount. The roofer knows up front that the first board all
around the house must be replaced (about 140 liner feet) and has never
charged extra for decking replacement unless it has been real bad.

This is a person I have dealt with for many years and I did not bother with
a second estimate. I do keep tabs on what others are paying and I am aware
of pricing in the area. I would guess the actual range for the work to be
done to be between $4200 and $6500.

Overall I would say the estimator is pretty close. A few more inputs fields
would make it more accurate if the average user was knowledgeable enough to
use them.

Things like:
the number of layers to be removed.
flashing for a chimney, a shed addition or a porch. (I have all 3)
partial decking replacement.

Colbyt

Kathy

"Colbyt" wrote in
message news:RTX%e.382544$x96.103147@attbi_s72...

Overall I would say the estimator is pretty

close.

I agree.
The price I paid in July fell into the range given
by the estimator.
I am in South Jersey. (USA)

Tony

I just got a bid for a new roof, tear off, replacing 2 sheets of
plywood, new drip edge, ridge vent of $300 a square (15 sq for a total
of $4500). Located in upstate NY (between Buffalo and Rochester)

Getting more bids this week.

On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 21:03:02 -0500, jim evans
wrote:

Oh yes, I'm in Houston. My bids averaged about $150 a square (100
sq-ft). Eighteen months ago a similar house across the street cost
20% less than the bid I got last week from the same roofer.

jim

Tony

Mine too, (simple that is). I do need ice damn protection
underlayment, but other than that a fairly straight forward roof.

Tony

On Tue, 04 Oct 2005 21:19:14 -0500, jim evans
wrote:

I should have mentioned. My roof is as simple as they get. Shallow
pitch, gable, no valleys, no ice dams in Houston.