Posted to alt.home.repair

Default On space heaters

I read an article recently claiming that space heaters in the bedroom didn't
really save money in that the cost of electricity to run them costs far more
than central heating.

I was skeptical of that assertion.

A few years ago, I installed a window a/c unit and was shocked at how much
my electric bill went down!

Anyway, a couple of months ago, I bought a small, ancient, GAS space heater
for ten bucks at an auction. Over the last couple of weeks, I managed to get
gas piped from the meter to the bedroom wall Luckily, the master bedroom
wall and the meter are on the same side of the house, about 14 feet apart.

I then fired up the heater and, Lord, does that sucker put out the heat !

My additional aim is to continue the piping to the back of the house and
around the corner so that I can convert my portable generator to tri-fuel
instead of having to rely on gasoline.

Point is, even if the original article was correct (which I doubt), there
may be alternatives to heating the whole house - other than the central
unit - for eight hours while you sleep.

Of course all this is a worthless endeavor on my part if we never again
experience cold weather ...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/26/2012 5:14 PM, HeyBub wrote:
[...]

HB you are a very intelligent gent and I know you realize the dangers of
CO perhaps coming from an unventilated old style heater in a closed
room. If you're going to run the gas line to your genset, check with
your gas company about the availability of a 2psi gas service. You would
have to put a regulator on the line feeding your little heater
to bring the pressure down to 6-8"WC and the existing feed to any other
gas appliances but the 2psi supply would insure plenty of NG for your
genset and you won't need to run as large a diameter pipe to get the
same volume. When I was doing remodel work with my friend GB, we always
got a 2psi meter installed and ran 1/2" gas line instead of 1" which
saved a lot of money. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
[...]

lemme guess, you bought an old Dearborn heater, didn't ya?
I got one in the shop and yes, they do put out some heat and I've never had
it on high ever.
Damn fine heaters those old Dearborn are.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 17:14:13 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Anyway, a couple of months ago, I bought a small, ancient, GAS space heater
for ten bucks at an auction.

Post a link for a photo of the heater, please. Sounds like what
granddaddy had.

You could dry a pair of jeans and dry boots next to it.

Seems it had vertical ceramic pieces to defuse the flames...long time
ago.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 26, 3:14*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
[...]

As oyu have seen...it all depends on the circumstances.

That article that issued a blanket condemnation of space heat
(electric or gas) vs central heat is clearly wrong.
Spot heating or cooling can often be LOTS cheaper than central heat or
cooling.

What makes better sense?

A single person is in a 2800 sq ft house where the outside temp is
28F....

1) heat the whole house with propane fired FAU
or
2) heat a single room with a couple 1500 watt oil filled space heaters

The correct solution would change if one needed to heat all 5
bedrooms....

The same thinking would apply in a cooling environment.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

Why do people call small heaters such as this gas one, or the portable
electric ones "SPACE HEATERS"? I've never yet heard of any astronaut
using one of them to heat "outer space". And if your house is attached
to a foundation on the earth, you are NOT IN SPACE!!!! (Even if you
might think you are in space from the drugs you took).

Posted to alt.home.repair

These folks sure needed space heaters.
http://www.negrospaceprogram.com/
Rated R, for brief crude language.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message
Why do people call small heaters such as this gas one, or the portable
electric ones "SPACE HEATERS"? I've never yet heard of any astronaut
using one of them to heat "outer space". And if your house is attached
to a foundation on the earth, you are NOT IN SPACE!!!! (Even if you
might think you are in space from the drugs you took).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 26, 8:08 pm, DD_BobK wrote:
On Nov 26, 3:14 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:

[...]

Choice #3 --- Wear flannel pajamas and have a 100 watt
electric blanket.

I prefer the oil filled heater over any type with a fan, as it has
always been the fan which eventually quits and the heater
shuts off. While it's easy to remove and disassemble the
fan, clean and oil the bearings, and get them going for another
few years, the oil heater relies on medium temp over a large
surface and isn't as much of a fire hazard. Just my opinion, tho.

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"DD_BobK" wrote in message
On Nov 26, 3:14 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
[...]

Heating a single room in a house in an area with real winters may result in
lower fuel costs but it can be disastrous in the long run. That single room
will not have insulation between it and the other rooms so the small heater
may not really work well. Also, when temperatures drop below freezing,
humidity from living in the house will migrate to the cold rooms and
condense on cold surfaces, causing damage to finishes and allowing mould to
grow.

If one wants to chop the heating bill, he could set the central heat on low
to maintain some heat throughout the building, and then run electric heaters
in the occupied rooms to boost the temperature to a comfortable level.
However, this will all depend on the fuel used for the central heat and the
cost of electricity in your are. For example, I live in Canada and we get
real winters. My gas bill is only $600.00 per year for heat, hot water and
cooking, but my electric bill is $350.00 per month, so I would never want to
run an electric heater except in an emergency.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd wonder about the pipes in the walls. On the cold side of the building.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"EXT" wrote in message
anews.com...

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 27, 11:32*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
I'd wonder about the pipes in the walls. On the cold side of the building..

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

"EXT" wrote in message

anews.com...

[...]

i know a fellow who tired of paying for natural gas.........

he walled off a tiny part of his home and tried heating with electric
space heaters, his electric bill went thru the roof, natural gas was
far cheaper.....

the freeze thaw ruined the drywall, inside the home pipes needed heat
tape, drain lines froze, basically he ruined his home, people who have
been inside say it will need gutted, if not torn down...
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 11/27/2012 11:02 AM, bob haller wrote:

i know a fellow who tired of paying for natural gas.........

the freeze thaw ruined the drywall, inside the home pipes needed heat
tape, drain lines froze, basically he ruined his home, people who have
been inside say it will need gutted, if not torn down...

Ah, yes, the inevitable "Bob knew" story...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 26, 3:14*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
[...]

You could save even more by not heating the bedroom at all. Back in
the day prior to central heat only
the rich had fireplaces in the bedrooms - everybody else did with
cold rooms and lots of covers. I grew up that way and still prefer a
cold to a warm room for sleeping

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 27, 7:56*am, "EXT" wrote:
"DD_BobK" wrote in message

On Nov 26, 3:14 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
[...]

Odd, I grew up in Northern Idaho - moved through...um 5 houses - all
had no heat in the bedrooms and living areas heated with a wood
stove. Not one sign of mold, condensation as your claim anywhere
except the windows. Temps werecommon at 20 below and 40 below was not
unknown.

Quite comfortable sleeping in cold rooms with enough blankets.
Harry K

If one wants to chop the heating bill, he could set the central heat on low
to maintain some heat throughout the building, and then run electric heaters
in the occupied rooms to boost the temperature to a comfortable level.
However, this will all depend on the fuel used for the central heat and the
cost of electricity in your are. For example, I live in Canada and we get
real winters. My gas bill is only $600.00 per year for heat, hot water and
cooking, but my electric bill is $350.00 per month, so I would never want to
run an electric heater except in an emergency.

Or don't run any heat in the bedrooms. Use electric blankets if you
just can't stand using a pile of blankets.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

Don't forget the clincher "people said..."

Harry k

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/26/2012 4:14 PM, HeyBub wrote:
[...]

i turn off the heater at night, and use cats to keep us warm.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 11/27/2012 11:33 AM, Harry K wrote:
On Nov 27, 9:07 am, wrote:
On 11/27/2012 11:02 AM, bob haller wrote:

i know a fellow who tired of paying for natural gas.........

the freeze thaw ruined the drywall, inside the home pipes needed heat
tape, drain lines froze, basically he ruined his home, people who have
been inside say it will need gutted, if not torn down...

Ah, yes, the inevitable "Bob knew" story...

Don't forget the clincher "people said..."

By his tales of "know neighbor, etc." Haller is apparently the carrier
of every disaster known to ancient and/or modern man--if he ever moves
to your neighborhood, you had best move posthaste 'cuz pestilence and
other assorted ills are sure to arrive w/ the locusts...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/27/2012 11:24 AM, Harry K wrote:
On Nov 26, 3:14 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:

[snip]

You could save even more by not heating the bedroom at all. Back in
the day prior to central heat only
the rich had fireplaces in the bedrooms - everybody else did with
cold rooms and lots of covers. I grew up that way and still prefer a
cold to a warm room for sleeping

Harry K

I'm like that too. I prefer a lower room temperature at night, and use
blankets.

--
28 days until the winter celebration (Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:00:00 AM for 1
day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"All are inclined to believe what they covet, from a lottery-ticket up
to a passport to Paradise." -- Lord Byron. Byron's Letters and Journals,
vol. 3 (1974), entry for 27 Nov. 1813
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ah, yes, the inevitable "Bob knew" story...

--

Wierdly I know lots of people, many friends of friends... This
particular fellow has been a garbage collector and has 2 acres full of

meanwhile neighbor kids steal some and the town cites him for the
overgrown mess.

his entire family is wierd

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 11/27/2012 2:58 PM, bob haller wrote:

Ah, yes, the inevitable "Bob knew" story...

--

Wierdly I know lots of people, many friends of friends...

And bring trouble to them all, apparently...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Must be true? Heard it from Madge, the
hair dresser?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Harry K" wrote in message

Ah, yes, the inevitable "Bob knew" story...

--

Don't forget the clincher "people said..."

Harry k

Posted to alt.home.repair

Harry K wrote:
On Nov 26, 3:14 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
[...]

My grandparents lived in a coal community, houses built by the coal
company. Fireplace in every room except kitchen had coal stove. There were
four rooms and outhouse. Bathing was one in the kitchen. At some point
large coal furnace was installed, perhaps from the get go.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

Harry K wrote:
On Nov 27, 7:56 am, "EXT" wrote:
"DD_BobK" wrote in message

On Nov 26, 3:14 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
[...]

One year I supplemented my bedroom with electric heat from oil type heater.
Setting on 500 watts was enough, plus thermostat control. I'm fine with
supplemental heat, except fan heaters are a problem. I also have used
radiant types in living room for a nice feel. Anything blowing into the
Heater or falling on, is hazardous. My brother uses three 1500 watt
heaters to heat his house, which is cheaper than using his oil furnace.
It's often too hot for me.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 09:24:03 -0800 (PST), Harry K
wrote:

On Nov 26, 3:14Â*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
I read an article recently claiming that space heaters in the bedroom didn't
really save money in that the cost of electricity to run them costs far more
than central heating.

I was skeptical of that assertion.

A few years ago, I installed a window a/c unit and was shocked at how much
my electric bill went down!

Anyway, a couple of months ago, I bought a small, ancient, GAS space heater
for ten bucks at an auction. Over the last couple of weeks, I managed to get
gas piped from the meter to the bedroom wall Â*Luckily, the master bedroom
[...]

I remember half an inch of frost on the plumbing stack running up
the wall in the bedroom as a kid.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 09:31:23 -0800 (PST), Harry K
wrote:

Odd, I grew up in Northern Idaho - moved through...um 5 houses - all
had no heat in the bedrooms and living areas heated with a wood
stove. Not one sign of mold, condensation as your claim anywhere
except the windows. Temps werecommon at 20 below and 40 below was not
unknown.

Quite comfortable sleeping in cold rooms with enough blankets.
Harry K

"but it was a DRY cold"

Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:

HB you are a very intelligent gent and I know you realize the dangers
of CO perhaps coming from an unventilated old style heater in a closed
room. If you're going to run the gas line to your genset, check with
your gas company about the availability of a 2psi gas service. You
would have to put a regulator on the line feeding your little heater
to bring the pressure down to 6-8"WC and the existing feed to any
other gas appliances but the 2psi supply would insure plenty of NG
for your genset and you won't need to run as large a diameter pipe to
get the same volume. When I was doing remodel work with my friend GB,
we always got a 2psi meter installed and ran 1/2" gas line instead of
1" which saved a lot of money. ^_^

1. Pipe's already in place - it's a 1" line directly from the meter.
2. A properly adjusted, i.e., enough oxygen, space heater does not generate
CO. I grew up in a home heated exclusively by NG space heaters and there's
nothing wrong with me - except for a squishy, fungating mass on my upper
left leg that I've had since about the age of six.
3. As for the 2psi service, wouldn't I have to put a regulator on all the
gas appliances? That is, water heater, dryer, furnace?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Anyway, a couple of months ago, I bought a small, ancient, GAS space
heater for ten bucks at an auction.

Post a link for a photo of the heater, please. Sounds like what
granddaddy had.

You could dry a pair of jeans and dry boots next to it.

Seems it had vertical ceramic pieces to defuse the flames...long time
ago.

Nah, the kind you mean heated the ceramic inserts which radiated the heat
straight out. My little heater has just a flame, much like a fireplace log
lighter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

chaniarts wrote:

i turn off the heater at night, and use cats to keep us warm.

That helps.

In the west, I've heard the nightly temperature referred to as "a one-dog
night" or "a two-dog night." Don't think I've ever heard of "a three-dog
night."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/27/2012 9:16 PM, HeyBub wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:

[...]

When I was installing a lot of gensets in homes we got the 2psi meter
installed by the gas company and the original line feeding the house got
a regulator to keep it at the normal 6 to 8 inches water column
pressure. We tapped off the 2psi side going to a separate regulator for
the genset which needed a pressure of 11"wc to operate properly.
Depending on the manufacturer's specifications, your genset or
modification kit may or may not work with 6-8"wc pressure. When me and
GB were doing remodels, we used 2psi as the distribution pressure and
had to put a regulator on each appliance. The regulators are not that
expensive and the labor cost of running smaller flexible gas lines was
much less than running large diameter threaded black pipe. I believe the
gasoline genset I modified for one customer used a kit that operated
just fine with the standard 6-8"wc pressure and it was a 5kw portable
contractor type generator with the 5gal gas tank on top. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 21:24:06 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

chaniarts wrote:

i turn off the heater at night, and use cats to keep us warm.

That helps.

In the west, I've heard the nightly temperature referred to as "a one-dog
night" or "a two-dog night." Don't think I've ever heard of "a three-dog
night."

That's because you live in Texas.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 27, 7:56*am, "EXT" wrote:
"DD_BobK" wrote in message

On Nov 26, 3:14 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
[...]

EXT-

You are absolutely correct....

I should have mentioned setting the whole house FAU to a low temp &
then space heating to comfort level.

I also agree with your calculation of gas vs electric....but the calc
changes if the gas is propane.

small kerosene space heaters zxcvbob Home Repair 23 January 3rd 10 03:44 PM
space heaters Sam Home Repair 0 July 14th 09 04:59 PM
Natural gas space heaters [email protected] Home Repair 16 March 19th 08 02:26 AM
Infared space heaters Patch Home Repair 5 October 21st 06 02:56 AM
OT : Kerosene space heaters habbi Metalworking 13 January 7th 04 01:38 AM