Posted to alt.home.repair

Default On space heaters

On 11/26/2012 5:14 PM, HeyBub wrote:
I read an article recently claiming that space heaters in the bedroom didn't
really save money in that the cost of electricity to run them costs far more
than central heating.

I was skeptical of that assertion.

A few years ago, I installed a window a/c unit and was shocked at how much
my electric bill went down!

Anyway, a couple of months ago, I bought a small, ancient, GAS space heater
for ten bucks at an auction. Over the last couple of weeks, I managed to get
gas piped from the meter to the bedroom wall Luckily, the master bedroom
wall and the meter are on the same side of the house, about 14 feet apart.

I then fired up the heater and, Lord, does that sucker put out the heat !

My additional aim is to continue the piping to the back of the house and
around the corner so that I can convert my portable generator to tri-fuel
instead of having to rely on gasoline.

Point is, even if the original article was correct (which I doubt), there
may be alternatives to heating the whole house - other than the central
unit - for eight hours while you sleep.

Of course all this is a worthless endeavor on my part if we never again
experience cold weather ...

HB you are a very intelligent gent and I know you realize the dangers of
CO perhaps coming from an unventilated old style heater in a closed
room. If you're going to run the gas line to your genset, check with
your gas company about the availability of a 2psi gas service. You would
have to put a regulator on the line feeding your little heater
to bring the pressure down to 6-8"WC and the existing feed to any other
gas appliances but the 2psi supply would insure plenty of NG for your
genset and you won't need to run as large a diameter pipe to get the
same volume. When I was doing remodel work with my friend GB, we always
got a 2psi meter installed and ran 1/2" gas line instead of 1" which
saved a lot of money. ^_^

TDD