Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Infared space heaters

Has anyone had any experience with these heaters? Last winter our propane
bills were sky high. (one for $750) I see a local ad for one that claims it
will reduce heating bills by up to 50%. It goes on sale tomorrow for one day
only so I need an answer ASAP.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Patch" wrote:
Has anyone had any experience with these heaters? Last winter our propane
bills were sky high. (one for $750) I see a local ad for one that claims it
will reduce heating bills by up to 50%. It goes on sale tomorrow for one day
only so I need an answer ASAP.

How do you suppose it achieves that dramatic reduction in your heating bills?
Hint: turning your thermostat waaaaay down, and using a space heater to heat
only the room you're in at the time, will reduce your heating bill
substantially, no matter what type of space heater you're using. That's
because you're heating less of your house, not because the space heater is
anything special.

Also please note that the claim "will reduce heating bills by up to 50%" is
equivalent to a guarantee that it will not reduce your heating bill by any
more than 50% -- in other words, a 1% reduction meets the terms of the claim.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

Patch wrote:
Has anyone had any experience with these heaters? Last winter our
propane bills were sky high. (one for $750) I see a local ad for one
that claims it will reduce heating bills by up to 50%. It goes on
sale tomorrow for one day only so I need an answer ASAP.

Thanks

Well as noted, it is cheaper to heat a small space than your whole
house. You don't need a special heater to do that. It is also true that a
infrared heat source can make you feel warmer than the actual temperature,
but only if you are being heated by that source.

I would suggest that the claims are technically correct, but the
inferences the wording is making is not likely to be found.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Joseph Meehan wrote:
Patch wrote:
Has anyone had any experience with these heaters? ...

Well as noted, it is cheaper to heat a small space than your whole
house. You don't need a special heater to do that. It is also true that a
infrared heat source can make you feel warmer than the actual temperature,
but only if you are being heated by that source.

And, for these small heaters, that translates to line-of-sight.

Large radiant heat sources (like the floor or overhead systems) work by
(eventually) heating walls and other surfaces which then "re-radiate"
back into the area providing a more even heating. Small units like
these don't have the output to do much of that for anything other than
very small rooms, so unless you're physically in sight of it, you will
get very little, if any, benefit. Think of standing in a sunlight
protected area outside on a cold day, then step into the shade--same
thing.

I would suggest that the claims are technically correct, but the
inferences the wording is making is not likely to be found.

Closest thing to a legal scam outside Vegas...

Posted to alt.home.repair
jd jd is offline

yep -they'll reduce your *heating* bill (oil or gas), but your *electric*
bills will go sky high.....

--JD

"Patch" wrote in message
.. .
Has anyone had any experience with these heaters? Last winter our propane
bills were sky high. (one for $750) I see a local ad for one that claims
it will reduce heating bills by up to 50%. It goes on sale tomorrow for
one day only so I need an answer ASAP.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

Is it an electric IR heater or gas?

Electric is still more expensive than propane.

If it is a gas IR heater, it probably is not vented. If this is the case,
you will have extreme amounts of combustion water in your liveng space.

Al

.. .