Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Will the utility companies bill more than one person?

Will the utility companies bill more than one person?
I googled it. I didn't find the answer right away.

Instead of halving the bills each month, would the utility company
send two bills?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Metspitzer wrote:
Will the utility companies bill more than one person?
I googled it. I didn't find the answer right away.

Instead of halving the bills each month, would the utility company
send two bills?

Hi,
Sure if you have two separate meters for each of you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 23 Nov 2012 23:11:03 -0500, Metspitzer
wrote:

Will the utility companies bill more than one person?
I googled it. I didn't find the answer right away.

Instead of halving the bills each month, would the utility company
send two bills?

I know a guy who has 3 meters on his place. 1. his house 2. his barn
and well 3. a rental trailer house on the same land. Three meters,
three bills. However, he has to pay a monthly meter rental for EACH
meter, which is $25 per meter. The tenant pays the bill in the rental,
but he wants to put his house and the barn on the same meter to save $25
a month. That's saving $300 a month. He said the tenants use the well
too, but he will just add $10 to their rent. That makes a lot of sense.
I would have already changed it, if it was my place. $300 a year is
nothing to laugh at.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/23/2012 8:11 PM, Metspitzer wrote:
Will the utility companies bill more than one person?
I googled it. I didn't find the answer right away.

Instead of halving the bills each month, would the utility company
send two bills?

Why would you ask a newsgroup when the ONLY people who can give
you that answer have their phone number printed on your bill???

Sounds like a lot of unnecessary work.
Just cut it in half and pay it twice.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/24/2012 9:55 AM, Wes Groleau wrote:
On 11-24-2012 12:28, Bill wrote:
In article ,
says...

Will the utility companies bill more than one person?
I googled it. I didn't find the answer right away.

Instead of halving the bills each month, would the utility company
send two bills?

No they will not do that, can't do that, and do not know
how to do that!

i.e. This will not be an option on the computer screen of
the person you call and talk to at the electric company.

You CAN get electronic billing (sent to email), then you can
forward a copy of the bill to the other person's email. Or
set up auto forwarding of all emails sent from that email address.

Or when you receive your bill via email, print out a copy
for the other person.

Or when you receive your bill via regular mail, scan it on
your computer scanner, then print a copy.

Forward the e-mail to procmail.

Write a rule that recognizes its a bill and forwards it to a program.

Write the program to scan the bill and replace all dollar amounts with
half their values and then mail a copy to each person.

Be sure you round up so you don't get a late fee for being one penny
short. Don't worry about going over, because they'll take the extra
penny off the next bill.

It wasn't stated, but I'd bet that the reason they want this is that
the deadbeat roommate isn't paying and they think the electric company
won't turn off rooms of people who pay their half.
The solution is a new roommate. Get "first and last" on the utilities
as well as the rent.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 24 Nov 2012 19:41:48 -0800, mike wrote:

On 11/24/2012 9:55 AM, Wes Groleau wrote:
On 11-24-2012 12:28, Bill wrote:
In article ,
says...

[...]

Actually, it is more motivated by me being lazy. I have had my bills
on auto pay for a decade. I am used to getting the bill, looking at
it and shredding it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 25 Nov 2012 10:15:53 -0800, Bill
wrote:

In article ,
says...

Actually, it is more motivated by me being lazy. I have had my bills
on auto pay for a decade. I am used to getting the bill, looking at
it and shredding it.

This may go in one ear and out the other... but I save ALL receipts,
bills, instruction manuals, etc. I stick all the bills/receipts in a
9x12 box, then at the end of the year I seal it and write the year on
it. Then start a new box.

Every once and awhile I need to return something and need the receipt.
Or someone will want "proof of residence" via showing them a bill. Or
for credit they may want to see this statement or a series of bills
showing I paid on time, whatever!

Anyway I can always dig through that box and find what is needed.

I just rely on bank statements and credit card statements. I keep
those two in the folder I close out at the end of the year with taxes
papers.

Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metspitzer View Post
Actually, it is more motivated by me being lazy. I have had my bills
on auto pay for a decade. I am used to getting the bill, looking at
it and shredding it.
Which begs the question: Then why are you wanting the utility company to send you TWO bills; each for half the total due?

Quote:
Will the utility companies bill more than one person?
I googled it. I didn't find the answer right away. Instead of halving the bills each month, would the utility company send two bills?
You need a more responsible roommate.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 24 Nov 2012 12:55:36 -0500, Wes Groleau
wrote:

Write a rule that recognizes its a bill and forwards it to a program.

Write the program to scan the bill and replace all dollar amounts with
half their values and then mail a copy to each person.

Be sure you round up so you don't get a late fee for being one penny
short. Don't worry about going over, because they'll take the extra
penny off the next bill.

Why not just send a copy of your electric bill to everyone on the
internet. Ask every person to pay one cent. Be sure to tell them that
you are very poor, you're wife is pregnant, and has cancer, and your
grandma needs surgery on her vagina, and you need to have penis surgery
to make it longer, because it dont work. Almost everyone can afford a
penny, and will bite. So your bill will be paid off in no time.

While you're at it, turn it into a pyramid scam. The person who pays
the most pennys gets to the top of the pyramid, and the ones below have
to pay more pennys, and soon you will be wealthy and everyone below you
will make big money fast. Learn how to use the internet to make you
rich. Spammers have been doing it for years, now it's your turn. LOL

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Heard another example of the intelligence of America's
media. Geraldo Rivera was on the radio complaining about
how awful the electric company is in NY because they sent
out bills to people whose homes were destroyed by the
hurricane. Unless the electric company billing computer is
really God, how would it know who's home was destroyed
and whose wasn't? And even if the home was destroyed,
you'd still owe any outstanding balance, for usage up until
it was, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, November 24, 2012 11:20:32 PM UTC-5, Metspitzer wrote:
Actually, it is more motivated by me being lazy. I have had my bills
on auto pay for a decade. I am used to getting the bill, looking at
it and shredding it.

How does that explain why you want the bill split and sent to two different people?

If the other guy doesn't pay his half, they're still going to cut power to the *WHOLE* house eventually.
Posted to alt.home.repair

They're not going to want to do that. Aside from the minor extra expense for them, the fact that you're asking almost guarantees (in their minds) that eventually one party will fail to pay and the other will say they're not responsible and their only recourse will be shutting off the power for both, which you will say is unfair because you paid your half, etc., etc., etc.... There's zero benefit in it for them in the best possible case and a fair amount of hassle in the average case...