Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house
ap

Default natural gas utility bill

Hello,
I noticed this is a forum regarding houses, and wanted
to get some info from some folks...

Please forgive if this is the not the proper forum for this
discussion.

Our natural gas bill went up to $322 for just the month of Nov. 05.

Just wanted to check with others here in the area and
how much increase they have seen. Also, what advice if any
do you have?

No flames pls.

Thanks

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Speedy Jim

ap wrote:
Hello,
I noticed this is a forum regarding houses, and wanted
to get some info from some folks...

Please forgive if this is the not the proper forum for this
discussion.

Our natural gas bill went up to $322 for just the month of Nov. 05.

Just wanted to check with others here in the area and
how much increase they have seen. Also, what advice if any
do you have?

No flames pls.

Thanks

I went to:
http://google.com/

and entered "High gas bill"
and got a zillion hits.

Take your pick...
Posted to misc.consumers.house
catalpa

"ap" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,
I noticed this is a forum regarding houses, and wanted
to get some info from some folks...

Please forgive if this is the not the proper forum for this
discussion.

Our natural gas bill went up to $322 for just the month of Nov. 05.

Just wanted to check with others here in the area and
how much increase they have seen. Also, what advice if any
do you have?

No flames pls.

Thanks

Without flames your gas furnance will not work. You provided no useful
information for anyone to assist you. Your bill went up to $322 from what?
Where do you live? How big is your house? How well insulated is your
house? Does your house have storm doors and windows? What temperature do
you keep your house? How much hot water do you use? What are you paying
per therm or 100 cubic feet of gas?

The wholesale price of natural gas has gone up 70% from Nov 2004 to Nov
2005, but the consumer cost is up a smaller percentage due to delivery costs
remaining the same.

"Beating the Heating Bill" article at
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...5120300120.htm

Posted to misc.consumers.house
ap

Ok, here is some additional info.

We have a 2-story home in north GA, about 2800 sq. ft.
The hot water also uses natural gas.
Last year the same month, the bill was $161. This year
it went to $322. We leave the temps the same, 70 deg
in day time and 68 nightime..
There are no storm doors/windows. I guess the big
question is why the huge increase considering we have
left the temps the same last year and this year.

Therms used 150.80
Rate per therm: 1.7590
ccf used in 30 days: 145

Thanks for any advice!

Posted to misc.consumers.house

On 4 Jan 2006 14:38:38 -0800, someone wrote:

... I guess the big
question is why the huge increase considering we have
left the temps the same last year and this year.

Read your freakin' gas bill dumbass.

Did it go up because the price of gas is higher, or did it go up
because you burned a greater quantity of gas? YOU tell US. We don't
have access to your gas bills. You do.

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Clark W. Griswold, Jr.

"ap" wrote:

I noticed this is a forum regarding houses, and wanted
to get some info from some folks...

Please forgive if this is the not the proper forum for this
discussion.

Its as good a place as any!

Our natural gas bill went up to $322 for just the month of Nov. 05.

Just wanted to check with others here in the area and
how much increase they have seen. Also, what advice if any
do you have?

First thing you need to understand is that Usenet (this place) is a global
medium. You are as likely to get a response from someone in the UK as someone in
Oregon.

Given that, it would be helpful if you gave some sort of geographic reference.
The number of square feet being heeted would also help people evaluate your
increase, as would knowing what last year at this time your bill was.

In general, natural gas prices are up about 50% over last year at this time,
which is much less than had been predicted last fall...
Posted to misc.consumers.house
catalpa

"ap" wrote in message
oups.com...
Ok, here is some additional info.

We have a 2-story home in north GA, about 2800 sq. ft.
The hot water also uses natural gas.
Last year the same month, the bill was $161. This year
it went to $322. We leave the temps the same, 70 deg
in day time and 68 nightime..
There are no storm doors/windows. I guess the big
question is why the huge increase considering we have
left the temps the same last year and this year.

Therms used 150.80
Rate per therm: 1.7590
ccf used in 30 days: 145

Thanks for any advice!

The basic answer is that the wholesale price of natural gas has gone up 70%
year to year. Here in PA it was colder this year than last year, so we used
more gas at a higher price. How much gas did you use last year? If you used
the same amount of gas year to year your bill would go up more than 50%. BTW
150.80 times $1.7590 equals $265.26, so it looks like your are including
your electric charges in the billing amount and you used way more electric
power than last year. You need to focus on just the gas usage and charges.

First, for both summer cooling and winter heating you require storm doors
and windows. I don't understand how a 2800 sq ft house doesn't have them.
What r factor does your insulation have? Does your attic have any
insulation? A poorly insulated house is expensive to heat and cool. Does
your local utility offer an energy audit?

Here in PA no one sets a night temperature at 68. Norm is 68 waking hours
and 60 or below sleeping hours and when no one is home. Time to start
wearing sweaters and using blankets.

Posted to misc.consumers.house
444

We are in eastern PA. Our natural gas rates were just increased.

When I looked at my price per 100 cubic feet (ccf) - the old price to the
new price - it went up 70%.

So not complicating it with how much you used or for what or how drafty your
house is, it went up 70%.

You can bet the rich fat asses at the gas company and at the gas suppliers
don't have to keep THEIR houses at 68F.
We are paying to keep them and their indoors tennis courts and indoor pools
and indoor bowling alleys nice and toasty.

"ap" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,
I noticed this is a forum regarding houses, and wanted
to get some info from some folks...

Please forgive if this is the not the proper forum for this
discussion.

Our natural gas bill went up to $322 for just the month of Nov. 05.

Just wanted to check with others here in the area and
how much increase they have seen. Also, what advice if any
do you have?

No flames pls.

Thanks

geothermal natural gas powered heat pump Joseph Meehan Home Repair 9 January 31st 05 01:55 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Bowl Turning DVD by Bill Grumbine WoodMangler Woodturning 9 December 6th 04 08:10 PM
utility chuck Wizard Woodturning 1 August 1st 04 12:18 PM
Aligning a Vega utility 50 fence Alan W Woodworking 6 September 5th 03 05:21 PM