Posted to alt.home.repair
mike[_22_] mike[_22_] is offline

Default Will the utility companies bill more than one person?

On 11/24/2012 9:55 AM, Wes Groleau wrote:
On 11-24-2012 12:28, Bill wrote:
In article ,
says...

Will the utility companies bill more than one person?
I googled it. I didn't find the answer right away.

Instead of halving the bills each month, would the utility company
send two bills?

No they will not do that, can't do that, and do not know
how to do that!

i.e. This will not be an option on the computer screen of
the person you call and talk to at the electric company.

You CAN get electronic billing (sent to email), then you can
forward a copy of the bill to the other person's email. Or
set up auto forwarding of all emails sent from that email address.

Or when you receive your bill via email, print out a copy
for the other person.

Or when you receive your bill via regular mail, scan it on
your computer scanner, then print a copy.

Forward the e-mail to procmail.

Write a rule that recognizes its a bill and forwards it to a program.

Write the program to scan the bill and replace all dollar amounts with
half their values and then mail a copy to each person.

Be sure you round up so you don't get a late fee for being one penny
short. Don't worry about going over, because they'll take the extra
penny off the next bill.

It wasn't stated, but I'd bet that the reason they want this is that
the deadbeat roommate isn't paying and they think the electric company
won't turn off rooms of people who pay their half.
The solution is a new roommate. Get "first and last" on the utilities
as well as the rent.