Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wrong delivery address

....for fuel oil in Canada. House changing to Electric service.

"A home near Victoria had to be demolished after an oil company got
its addresses mixed up and delivered a load of furnace oil to the
wrong house."

"...I had disconnected the oil tank and was getting 200 amp service in
for electric heat," said Phillips.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2012/11/14/bc-oil-tank-saanich.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/15/2012 7:57 PM, Oren wrote:
...for fuel oil in Canada. House changing to Electric service.

"A home near Victoria had to be demolished after an oil company got
its addresses mixed up and delivered a load of furnace oil to the
wrong house."

"...I had disconnected the oil tank and was getting 200 amp service in
for electric heat," said Phillips.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2012/11/14/bc-oil-tank-saanich.html

Apparently, this is not a rare occurrence:

"Quite often we can dig under the house and support it with concrete.
Because of the way it is, and the underground oil tank here, we could
not support the house and save it."
Posted to alt.home.repair

I've heard several of those tales of woe. The HO doesn't remove the fill
pipe. Minimally, dump a can of Great Stuff into the pipe, and cap the indoor
end.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Oren" wrote in message
....for fuel oil in Canada. House changing to Electric service.

"A home near Victoria had to be demolished after an oil company got
its addresses mixed up and delivered a load of furnace oil to the
wrong house."

"...I had disconnected the oil tank and was getting 200 amp service in
for electric heat," said Phillips.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2012/11/14/bc-oil-tank-saanich.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 15 Nov 2012 21:52:57 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

I've heard several of those tales of woe. The HO doesn't remove the fill
pipe. Minimally, dump a can of Great Stuff into the pipe, and cap the indoor
end.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"Oren" wrote in message
.. .
...for fuel oil in Canada. House changing to Electric service.

"A home near Victoria had to be demolished after an oil company got
its addresses mixed up and delivered a load of furnace oil to the
wrong house."

"...I had disconnected the oil tank and was getting 200 amp service in
for electric heat," said Phillips.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2012/11/14/bc-oil-tank-saanich.html

Heard of several local cases -one where the truck driver cranked the
inverted filler tube around so he could fill it, and another that used
a pipe wrench to remove the cap from a capped off filler pipe. Both go
back quite a few years though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:
...for fuel oil in Canada. House changing to Electric service.

"A home near Victoria had to be demolished after an oil company got
its addresses mixed up and delivered a load of furnace oil to the
wrong house."

"...I had disconnected the oil tank and was getting 200 amp service in
for electric heat," said Phillips.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2012/11/14/bc-oil-tank-saanich.html

Perhaps I should make sure my cap is not removable !!

Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair

gregz wrote:
Oren wrote:
...for fuel oil in Canada. House changing to Electric service.

"A home near Victoria had to be demolished after an oil company got
its addresses mixed up and delivered a load of furnace oil to the
wrong house."

"...I had disconnected the oil tank and was getting 200 amp service in
for electric heat," said Phillips.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2012/11/14/bc-oil-tank-saanich.html

Perhaps I should make sure my cap is not removable !!

Greg

At least the coal fill Shute was removed !!!!

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 15 Nov 2012 17:57:34 -0800, Oren wrote:

...for fuel oil in Canada. House changing to Electric service.

"A home near Victoria had to be demolished after an oil company got
its addresses mixed up and delivered a load of furnace oil to the
wrong house."

"...I had disconnected the oil tank and was getting 200 amp service in
for electric heat," said Phillips.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2012/11/14/bc-oil-tank-saanich.html

Happens far too often. While the driver was wrong, the homeowner was
also. The connection should have been removed too. Or plugged in
such a way as they could never get a nozzle into it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Good luck with that. Better to fill the tube with
cement or Great Stuff, and cap the indoor end.

Years ago, I did hear of a driver who chipped
cement out of a fill tube, so he could deliver.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"gregz" wrote in message

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2012/11/14/bc-oil-tank-saanich.html

Perhaps I should make sure my cap is not removable !!

Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 16 Nov 2012 03:19:15 +0000 (UTC), gregz
wrote:

Oren wrote:
...for fuel oil in Canada. House changing to Electric service.

"A home near Victoria had to be demolished after an oil company got
its addresses mixed up and delivered a load of furnace oil to the
wrong house."

"...I had disconnected the oil tank and was getting 200 amp service in
for electric heat," said Phillips.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2012/11/14/bc-oil-tank-saanich.html

Perhaps I should make sure my cap is not removable !!

Greg

Weld the sucker on - or better yet REMOVE IT.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 16, 1:57*am, Oren wrote:
...for fuel oil in Canada. House changing to Electric service.

"A home near Victoria had to be demolished after an oil company got
its addresses mixed up and delivered a load of furnace oil to the
wrong house."

"...I had disconnected the oil tank and was getting 200 amp service in
for electric heat," said Phillips.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2012/11/14/bc-oi...

Putting an oil tank under a house would be illegal in the UK.
And I thought it was about fire regulations.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:

...for fuel oil in Canada. House changing to Electric service.

"A home near Victoria had to be demolished after an oil company got
its addresses mixed up and delivered a load of furnace oil to the
wrong house."

"...I had disconnected the oil tank and was getting 200 amp service in
for electric heat," said Phillips.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2012/11/14/bc-oil-tank-saanich.html

Exactly how difficult is it to sawzall off the fill pipe, pull it out
and cement up the hole?
Posted to alt.home.repair

The ones near me, usually the pipe goes through
the sidewall. Same deal, fill the pipe, cap the
indoor end, cut it off, etc.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Pete C." wrote in message
. com...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2012/11/14/bc-oil-tank-saanich.html

Exactly how difficult is it to sawzall off the fill pipe, pull it out
and cement up the hole?

Senior Member

I don't see any good reason to bury the fuel oil tank underground. It's not like it's going to freeze if it gets cold or anything. Besides, if the tank is buried, there's no way of knowing whether or not it's leaking fuel into the ground.

Last edited by nestork : November 16th 12 at 04:55 PM

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 15 Nov 2012 23:28:05 -0800 (PST), harry
wrote:

On Nov 16, 1:57Â*am, Oren wrote:
...for fuel oil in Canada. House changing to Electric service.

"A home near Victoria had to be demolished after an oil company got
its addresses mixed up and delivered a load of furnace oil to the
wrong house."

"...I had disconnected the oil tank and was getting 200 amp service in
for electric heat," said Phillips.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2012/11/14/bc-oi...

Putting an oil tank under a house would be illegal in the UK.
And I thought it was about fire regulations.

They used to be in the basements around here. Underground (burried)
tanks have been illegal here for several decades.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, November 16, 2012 11:12:02 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:
The ones near me, usually the pipe goes through
the sidewall. Same deal, fill the pipe, cap the
indoor end, cut it off, etc.

Never underestimate the tenacity of the fuel truck driver to ensure that he has made his assigned delivery.

They will get out a wrench to remove a tightened cap. After all the last guy must've overtightened it, right?

They will hacksaw off a welded cap. Some damn kid must've come along and welded it on as a joke.

They will chip greatstuff/cement out of the pipe. Must've been mud daubers built a nest in the pipe over the summer.

They will shove the nozzle through the open hole in the wall. Damn idiot that mows the lawn must've broke it off.

The boss told me to deliver XXX gallons of fuel oil here, and by God I'm gonna do it come hell or high water!
Posted to alt.home.repair

You write great wisdom. I think that's how it works.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message news:b2dd20a6-6c07-49cd-9066-

Never underestimate the tenacity of the fuel truck driver to ensure that he
has made his assigned delivery.

They will get out a wrench to remove a tightened cap. After all the last guy
must've overtightened it, right?

They will hacksaw off a welded cap. Some damn kid must've come along and
welded it on as a joke.

They will chip greatstuff/cement out of the pipe. Must've been mud daubers
built a nest in the pipe over the summer.

They will shove the nozzle through the open hole in the wall. Damn idiot
that mows the lawn must've broke it off.

The boss told me to deliver XXX gallons of fuel oil here, and by God I'm
gonna do it come hell or high water!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 16 Nov 2012 16:43:18 +0000, nestork
wrote:

I don't see any good reason to bury the fuel oil tank underground. It's
not like it's going to freeze if it gets cold or anything. Besides, if
the tank is buried, there's no way of knowing whether or not it's
leaking fuel into the ground.

Used to be a common practice in some areas. It did not take up space
in the house and yes, it will freeze. #2 oil can get to cold to flow
properly unless treated with additives. We have a 2000 gallon above
ground tank at work and in spite of treatment and heating the supply
and return line, it will still gel at below 0 temperatures.

I'm not sure about "every" place but most prohibit buried tanks these
days.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 16 Nov 2012 08:26:03 -0500, willshak
wrote:

It was delivered to the wrong house!!! The oil company truck should not
have been there. It is their fault.

Ultimately, that is probably correct, but the homeowner should have
protected himself too. This has happened many times in the past and
will happen again.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Probably take a bit of heat, to un-gel a 2000
gal tank. That's got to be rough, in cold weather.

You wouldn't want to be out there with a propane
torch, trying to warm the tank.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

Used to be a common practice in some areas. It did not take up space
in the house and yes, it will freeze. #2 oil can get to cold to flow
properly unless treated with additives. We have a 2000 gallon above
ground tank at work and in spite of treatment and heating the supply
and return line, it will still gel at below 0 temperatures.

I'm not sure about "every" place but most prohibit buried tanks these
days.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 16 Nov 2012 08:26:03 -0500, willshak
wrote:

I'm guessing the oil company is going to be held responsible for this,
but in all fairness that fill pipe should not have been there in the
first place.

Jon

It was delivered to the wrong house!!! The oil company truck should not
have been there. It is their fault.

The article (last sentence) did say the oil company's insurance will
pay for the clean-up and the rebuilding of the house.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pete C." wrote:
Oren wrote:

...for fuel oil in Canada. House changing to Electric service.

"A home near Victoria had to be demolished after an oil company got
its addresses mixed up and delivered a load of furnace oil to the
wrong house."

"...I had disconnected the oil tank and was getting 200 amp service in
for electric heat," said Phillips.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2012/11/14/bc-oil-tank-saanich.html

Exactly how difficult is it to sawzall off the fill pipe, pull it out
and cement up the hole?

I would have to dig down almost three feet. I would have to work at that
level next to the gas meter and pipe. Damage to cinder block unknown
getting pipe out. I forgot to look at it today. Maybe tomorrow.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

nestork wrote:
I don't see any good reason to bury the fuel oil tank underground. It's
not like it's going to freeze if it gets cold or anything. Besides, if
the tank is buried, there's no way of knowing whether or not it's
leaking fuel into the ground.

oil will stop flowing in the cold.
I don't know how many times that was done. It would help keep the oil
Warmer. I had two 250 gallon tanks in basement. You could always smell the
stuff, and it took up a lot of room.

Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'm guessing the oil company is going to be held responsible for this,
but in all fairness that fill pipe should not have been there in the
first place.

Jon

It was delivered to the wrong house!!! The oil company truck should not
have been there. It is their fault.

The article (last sentence) did say the oil company's insurance will
pay for the clean-up and the rebuilding of the house.

A house around the corner from a friend's place had an underground
tank that was "decomissioned" about 30 years ago when they switched to
natural gas. The old tank leaked. They sold the house. The new owners
found oil in the sump - the seller and the seller's insurance spent
just over 1.2 million dollars removing all the soil from around the
building, and under half of the basement.
The house isn't, and has never been, worth 1 million - but the cost of
removing everything and demolishing the house would have been very
close to the final cost, and there would have been no house value
left.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 16 Nov 2012 17:39:29 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Probably take a bit of heat, to un-gel a 2000
gal tank. That's got to be rough, in cold weather.

It's outside so we just burn some pallets under it

Never had the entire tank gel. Most times just running the circulator
pump and dumping in 5 gallons of kerosene gets it going again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Nov 16, 1:57*am, Oren wrote:
...for fuel oil in Canada. House changing to Electric service.

"A home near Victoria had to be demolished after an oil company got
its addresses mixed up and delivered a load of furnace oil to the
wrong house."

"...I had disconnected the oil tank and was getting 200 amp service in
for electric heat," said Phillips.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2012/11/14/bc-oi....

Putting an oil tank under a house would be illegal in the UK.
And I thought it was about fire regulations.

*They used to be in the basements around here. Underground (burried)
tanks have been illegal here for several decades.

You can have outdoor buried tanks here but few people do because of
expense.
Most are above ground, made of plastic with an incorporated "bund" to
catch any spillage/leaks.

Stealing oil is a big thing over here as it's so expensive. Since the
plastic ones appeared it has been a lot easier then the metal. They
just cut a hole in the plastic and pump it out.

Apart from"normal" petrol thefts, they are stealing petrol too from
filling stations. They take up the manhole covers and pump it out. No-
one been caught yet. Petrol here is $12/gallon

Posted to alt.home.repair

--
nestork

They are not just buried, they are surrounded with concrete. This
protects them from damage and corrosion.
It also stops the tanks from rising out of the ground when empty.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I don't see any good reason to bury the fuel oil tank underground. *It's
not like it's going to freeze if it gets cold or anything. *Besides, if
the tank is buried, there's no way of knowing whether or not it's
leaking fuel into the ground.

Used to be a common practice in some areas. *It did not take up space
in the house and yes, it will freeze. *#2 oil can get to cold to flow
properly unless treated with additives. We have a 2000 gallon above
ground tank at work and in spite of treatment and heating the supply
and return line, it will still gel at below 0 temperatures.

I'm not sure about "every" place but most prohibit buried tanks these
days.

It doesn't freeze or gell. It waxes. Components in the fuel turn to
soft crystals that block up jets and filters. The problem can be
fixed by adding paraffin/kerosin.

It was a common problem here with diesel cars/trucks. They sell
Winter grade fuel these days.

Posted to alt.home.repair

And, you've got some heating oil to help get the pallets burning. Good idea.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

It's outside so we just burn some pallets under it

Never had the entire tank gel. Most times just running the circulator
pump and dumping in 5 gallons of kerosene gets it going again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message
...for fuel oil in Canada. House changing to Electric service.

"A home near Victoria had to be demolished after an oil company got
its addresses mixed up and delivered a load of furnace oil to the
wrong house."

"...I had disconnected the oil tank and was getting 200 amp service in
for electric heat," said Phillips.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2012/11/14/bc-oil-tank-saanich.html

Heard of several local cases -one where the truck driver cranked the
inverted filler tube around so he could fill it, and another that used
a pipe wrench to remove the cap from a capped off filler pipe. Both go
back quite a few years though.

A lot less likely that any driver would do that in todays litigious
world. A friend owns a liquid fuels business and one of their biggest
expenses is insurance for spills. They must have it since the terminal
will not even let them load their trucks without proof.

The drivers are trained to listen for the whistle vent and stop if they
don't hear it. Friend says that can take over a minute depending on the
size of the tank size and level. In that time they can easily pump 70
gallons.

He only had one case of filling a disconnected filler. Someone was on
automatic recurring service and they removed the old heating system and
tanks and they didn't even bother to do something simple like screw a
cap (maybe they were waiting to get a deal on the $2 cap at the flea
market) on the pipe coming through the wall. They also didn't notify
him. So one of his trucks stops on their scheduled route and pumps 70
gallons into a newly finished basement.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/16/2012 11:43 AM, nestork wrote:
I don't see any good reason to bury the fuel oil tank underground. It's
not like it's going to freeze if it gets cold or anything. Besides, if
the tank is buried, there's no way of knowing whether or not it's
leaking fuel into the ground.

If you have an outside fuel oil tank you can't fill it with #2 heating
oil when it is cold because the paraffin in the oil will form crystals
that will block the lines.

The usual remedy is to fill with #1 which is more expensive and has
lower heating value.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Probably take a bit of heat, to un-gel a 2000
gal tank. That's got to be rough, in cold weather.

It's outside so we just burn some pallets under it

Never had the entire tank gel. Most times just running the circulator
pump and dumping in 5 gallons of kerosene gets it going again.

I worked at one place that used #6 bunker C. They had a heat exchanger
loop from the steam boiler to heat the fuel. I don't remember exactly
but you have to heat it to around 250 F before it flows.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Probably take a bit of heat, to un-gel a 2000
gal tank. That's got to be rough, in cold weather.

It's outside so we just burn some pallets under it

Never had the entire tank gel. Most times just running the circulator
pump and dumping in 5 gallons of kerosene gets it going again.

I worked at one place that used #6 bunker C. They had a heat exchanger
loop from the steam boiler to heat the fuel. I don't remember exactly
but you have to heat it to around 250 F before it flows.

I worked at a place that did that. The boiler was started on the more
expensive #2 oil, but once the steam was in the lines and the #6
flowing, it was changed over. The #6 was in an underground tank and
pumped to a smaller tank with the heat exchanger, then to the burner
once heated. Delivery had to be prompt too or it would not flow from
the tanker to the tank. delivery slip showed the tank temperature at
delivery.

This was years ago so I don't recall the exact temperature but I did
find this:
http://www.warren-group.com/publicat...1a55554?bhcp=1
Number 6 fuel oil is a thick, syrupy, black, tar-like liquid. It
smells like tar, and may even become semi-solid in cooler
temperatures. No. 6 fuel oil, also known as bunk oil, bunker oil, or
black liquor, is a petroleum product consisting of a complicated mix
of hydrocarbons with high boiling points. It is a "leftover" product
of crude oil after the more valuable hydrocarbons have been removed.
Manufacturing companies use it as fuel for steam boilers and power
generators. It is generally bought in large quantities and stored in
large tanks, either above or below the ground. Since No. 6 fuel oil is
so thick and viscous, users heat the oil up before they burn it.
Heating makes the oil flow more easily, reducing pump demands and
allows spray nozzles in the burner to turn the oil into a mist for
maximum burning efficiency. The oil is typically heated to anywhere
from 150 to 250 degrees Fahrenheit.

#1 is Kerosene in these parts.[NY] From experience I can say that
#2 is fine to -30F. The driver puts a conditioner in it [1 pint
to 100 gallons or so] but that's more to avoid sludge and keep the
water from freezing.

My tank is outside and above ground-- I wouldn't have it any other
way.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Nov 16, 1:57Â*am, Oren wrote:
...for fuel oil in Canada. House changing to Electric service.

"A home near Victoria had to be demolished after an oil company got
its addresses mixed up and delivered a load of furnace oil to the
wrong house."

"...I had disconnected the oil tank and was getting 200 amp service in
for electric heat," said Phillips.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2012/11/14/bc-oi...

Putting an oil tank under a house would be illegal in the UK.
And I thought it was about fire regulations.

Â*They used to be in the basements around here. Underground (burried)
tanks have been illegal here for several decades.

You can have outdoor buried tanks here but few people do because of
expense.
Most are above ground, made of plastic with an incorporated "bund" to
catch any spillage/leaks.

Stealing oil is a big thing over here as it's so expensive. Since the
plastic ones appeared it has been a lot easier then the metal. They
just cut a hole in the plastic and pump it out.

Apart from"normal" petrol thefts, they are stealing petrol too from
filling stations. They take up the manhole covers and pump it out. No-
one been caught yet. Petrol here is $12/gallon

Great uncle used to have a problem years back with motorcyles (local
Satan's Choice and Henchmen) stealing fuel from his farm gas tank
which was at the corner of the driving shed about half way up his
lane. They'd come coasting down the bridge street hill, engine off,
and up to the tank, fill up, coast back down the lane, and down the
hill where they would engage the clutch, starting the engine - and
take off. After several months of this he moved the gas to a new tank
behind the shed and filled the old tank with diesel for his new Dexta
Major. The next morning there were 6 Harleys, Nortons, and Hendersons
parked on the shoulder within a mile of the farm - and he never lost
another drop of fuel.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 17 Nov 2012 01:58:40 -0800 (PST), harry
wrote:

On Nov 16, 4:43Â*pm, nestork wrote:
I don't see any good reason to bury the fuel oil tank underground. Â*It's
not like it's going to freeze if it gets cold or anything. Â*Besides, if
the tank is buried, there's no way of knowing whether or not it's
leaking fuel into the ground.

--
nestork

They are not just buried, they are surrounded with concrete. This
protects them from damage and corrosion.
It also stops the tanks from rising out of the ground when empty.

You might get away with that in Limey-land, but here ANY underground
tank has to be double walled and pressure monitored. If the surround
changes pressure, the tank MUST come out.

OT; IP address? Tim W[_2_] UK diy 44 December 5th 09 10:05 PM
someone in the US to be my delivery address (expenses and trouble paid)?? ellegante Metalworking 24 May 28th 06 07:26 PM
For the ip gurus How to get ip address if you only have the mac address [email protected] UK diy 19 November 24th 05 10:40 AM
Delivery Notification: Delivery has been successful PMDF e-Mail Interconnect UK diy 0 December 12th 03 04:25 AM
wrong address Colin French Metalworking 1 October 14th 03 04:17 AM