Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default For the ip gurus How to get ip address if you only have the mac address

Here's the scenario.....

We have a couple of D-Link print servers. We can determine the mac
address from the label on the underside, but we think thet we must have
given them fixed ip addresses (back in the mists of time).

Is there a utility we can run (windows or DOS i'm afraid) that will
return an ip address and or hostname given a mac address?

We've tried looking in DHCP, but there is no record (which is what
leads us to suspect it's got a fixed ip).

We've tried looking in DNS, but can't find it there either).

Have had a look in Google, but whilst there's plenty of people asking
the question, no one seems to have come up with an answer :=((

Any ideas?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

We have a couple of D-Link print servers. We can determine the mac
address from the label on the underside, but we think thet we must have
given them fixed ip addresses (back in the mists of time).

Try arp -a if you're lucky.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Christian McArdle wrote:
We have a couple of D-Link print servers. We can determine the mac
address from the label on the underside, but we think thet we must have
given them fixed ip addresses (back in the mists of time).

Try arp -a if you're lucky.

Christian.

Should have said, tried arp -a

It returned some interesting looking stuff on my machine on the live
network, so I tried it on the mini network (1 hub, 1PC, 1 Print
Server).

It returned nothing. But then there is no dns server etc, etc running
on the PC at present.

My collegue was going to try running it on one of the servers (Server
2003) to see if that would yeild the info.

With regard to the suggestion from another poster to try and print to
it, that would require us to know it's ip address or hostname :=((

For the record you can't reset it to factory defaults without
connecting to it either :-((

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

For the record you can't reset it to factory defaults without
connecting to it either :-((

There's usually a reset button on it that sets it to 192.168.0.1. Put it on
your mini network. Set your computer to 192.168.0.100. Then attempt to
telnet or web 192.168.0.1.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Christian McArdle wrote:
For the record you can't reset it to factory defaults without
connecting to it either :-((

There's usually a reset button on it that sets it to 192.168.0.1. Put it on
your mini network. Set your computer to 192.168.0.100. Then attempt to
telnet or web 192.168.0.1.

No, that's what I meant when I said you have to connect to it. I've
even had one apart before to look for jumpers to short orwhatever, but
to no avail.

I did have a brilliant idea however.

Run the D-Link supplied CD (amazingly it still read after spending 5
years on my desk as a coffee cup holder :=(( ) But that won't find it
either! BAH!

This has long since gone into the realms of having cost too much in man
(sorry Mary) person hours, but it's gotten me mad now!

latest is my cow-orker is going to try the same procedure but with a
bog standard ancient 98 machine in case it's some firewall software or
something that's getting in the way.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

If you can't reset the print server to factory default then you could
have a long job here if you haven't used the print servers recently.

Bit of background; the way two peices of kit on an IP network
communicate at low level is using the MAC address, when you access
something using it's IP address PC's, switches and routers have to get
the MAC address for that device by what is termed ARPing for it. The
PC and routers then store this information for each device they have
communicated with recently in what is known as an ARP table. Typing
ARP -a displays the contents of this table.

So what you have to do is to get the entries for these devices into the
ARP table and the only way I can see of doing this is to ping every
device on the sub net and then go looking in the ARP table for the MAC
addresses you already know.

There is a ping sweep application that does one better and provides the
IP versus MAC for you available free at

http://www.insecure.org/nmap/nmap_download.html

Which will make pinging a large network easier, I just tried it and it
works.

When you have loaded it (and the WinPcap library it tells you about)
you just type:

nmap.exe -sP 172.101.100.* return

but replace the 172.101.100.* with your network address range and you
will be rewarded with a screen full of IP / MAC addresses.

Load the output into a text editor and search for the MAC address you
want.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Morley

In article .com,
says...

Christian McArdle wrote:
[...]

You could try brute force using a port scanner like
http://ipscan.sourceforge.net/ipscan.exe

Set the PC IP address to 192.168.0.1, netmask 255.255.0.0, and scan the
range 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.255.254. It will take a while, but if the
server is responding to pings you will get a reply eventually. If the
server is using a 10.0.0.0 address it might take considerably longer ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Paul \( Skiing8 \)

wrote in message
oups.com...
Here's the scenario.....

We have a couple of D-Link print servers. We can determine the mac
address from the label on the underside, but we think thet we must have
given them fixed ip addresses (back in the mists of time).

Is there a utility we can run (windows or DOS i'm afraid) that will
return an ip address and or hostname given a mac address?

We've tried looking in DHCP, but there is no record (which is what
leads us to suspect it's got a fixed ip).

We've tried looking in DNS, but can't find it there either).

Have had a look in Google, but whilst there's plenty of people asking
the question, no one seems to have come up with an answer :=((

Any ideas?

I know the problem is solved but I use a couple of tools from www.radmin.com

IPscan and lan scanner usually do the trick, it will scan an address range
on a network and
report back what addresses are in use, very handy

Paul

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stephen Gower

wrote:

We have a couple of D-Link print servers. We can determine the mac
address from the label on the underside, but we think thet we must have
given them fixed ip addresses (back in the mists of time).

Again, I see this is solved now, but another trick is to set up a
static ARP pair on the XP machine:

arp -s a-free-ip-on-your-network device-MAC

and then telnet to the given ip address. You can often get to the
management agent of the device using this method, and then see what
IP address it thinks it has.
--
Selah
Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , Christian
McArdle writes
For the record you can't reset it to factory defaults without
connecting to it either :-((

There's usually a reset button on it that sets it to 192.168.0.1. Put it on
your mini network. Set your computer to 192.168.0.100. Then attempt to
telnet or web 192.168.0.1.

You would have thought so, wouldn't you. I know the OP's (or should I
be cruel and say No P ?) referring to a print server and me a router,
but ...

Nah mate

You can only reset it over a serial link

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
wrote:

Have had a look in Google, but whilst there's plenty of people asking
the question, no one seems to have come up with an answer :=((

I see its sorted now, but another option that often works is to hook it
up to a network and run a SNMP client. That will often get you
information you can't readily get at the IP level.

But you need an IP address to poke SNMP commands to it...

One way which wouldn't have worked for the OP is a Unix utility called
arping. It pings via MAC address. That combined with tcpdump to see whats
going over the wires (and comimg back!) has worked for me in the past.

Gordon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks once again guys for lots of good advice.

I am sure this thread will come in very handy for those who "come
googleing after"

As usual this group has provided lots of great advice. Much better
than that given on what might initially seem more appropriate groups.

Thanks again.

computer interface help with at least 29 output ports Ryan Kremser Electronics 18 December 17th 04 08:50 PM
jay tuckwood address?? - ball turning plans DOC Metalworking 0 March 9th 04 01:33 AM
Spammed by Screwfix? Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics) UK diy 123 December 31st 03 12:59 AM
Toronto area lumber? Pick Woodworking 4 November 20th 03 02:29 PM
Address modification possible with AOL? WbSearch Electronics Repair 2 October 18th 03 11:26 PM