Posted to alt.home.repair

Default built in vs free standing stoves and ovens

In my experience the more expensive homes always had built in ovens,
sometimes with microwave (built into the cabinetry) and cook tops
built into the countertops. Lower priced homes would more commonly
have a drop-in stove and oven combo with exhaust hood/vent over it.
Yet more and more I see most new construction at every price range, as
well as remodels of higher price range homes where a drop-in stove and
oven combo is used with a combo microwave\exhaust hood/vent over it.

Have times changed? I find it just out of place looking to see a
$330,000 home with a drop in range/oven combo. Just seems like the
wrong ambiance when you've spent $20,000 on all new counters and
cabinets and tile to build or remodel the kitchen.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ashton Crusher wrote:
In my experience the more expensive homes always had built in ovens,
sometimes with microwave (built into the cabinetry) and cook tops
built into the countertops. Lower priced homes would more commonly
have a drop-in stove and oven combo with exhaust hood/vent over it.
Yet more and more I see most new construction at every price range, as
well as remodels of higher price range homes where a drop-in stove and
oven combo is used with a combo microwave\exhaust hood/vent over it.

Have times changed? I find it just out of place looking to see a
$330,000 home with a drop in range/oven combo. Just seems like the
wrong ambiance when you've spent $20,000 on all new counters and
cabinets and tile to build or remodel the kitchen.

My house has builtins. They are a royal pain to replace. I would never choose to
install them myself, except to replace them when they die. The microwaves - at
least they seem to be somewhat standardised. The ovens - forget it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/7/2012 1:45 AM, Bob F wrote:
Ashton Crusher wrote:
[...]

I'll 2nd that!

I have a kitchen with built in oven, cook top and 36" microwave/vent
hood. The cabinetry was custom made to accomodate the equipment.

Wanna switch to standard? Not without new cabinets.

Drop-in 30" equipment cooks just as well and is a way easier and way-way
cheaper to replace.

John
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 7, 1:38*am, Ashton Crusher wrote:
In my experience the more expensive homes always had built in ovens,
sometimes with microwave (built into the cabinetry) and cook tops
built into the countertops. *Lower priced homes would more commonly
have a drop-in stove and oven combo with exhaust hood/vent over it.
Yet more and more I see most new construction at every price range, as
well as remodels of higher price range homes where a drop-in stove and
oven combo is used with a combo microwave\exhaust hood/vent over it.

Have times changed? *I find it just out of place looking to see a
$330,000 home with a drop in range/oven combo. *Just seems like the
wrong ambiance when you've spent $20,000 on all new counters and
cabinets and tile to build or remodel the kitchen.

I don't know where you are looking, but here in NJ I have yet to
see a new high end home or remodel with a drop in stove/oven
combo and microwave/hood. These homes have DUAL ovens and
real vent hoods. The phoney microwave hoods, everyone knows
they are a joke.
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

wrote in message
[...]

In this region, no home is so low end as $330,000, unless it is a cheap
condo.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Ashton Crusher wrote:

I find it just out of place looking to see a
$330,000 home with a drop in range/oven combo.

Numbers like that are meaningless on a world-wide discussion group.
Where I live, that kind of money won't buy a city lot on the wrong side
of the tracks with a 500 sq. ft. teardown on it. You're talking mobile
home or entry level condo for that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ashton Crusher" wrote in message
In my experience the more expensive homes always had built in ovens,
sometimes with microwave (built into the cabinetry) and cook tops
built into the countertops. Lower priced homes would more commonly
have a drop-in stove and oven combo with exhaust hood/vent over it.
Yet more and more I see most new construction at every price range, as
well as remodels of higher price range homes where a drop-in stove and
oven combo is used with a combo microwave\exhaust hood/vent over it.

Have times changed? I find it just out of place looking to see a
$330,000 home with a drop in range/oven combo. Just seems like the
wrong ambiance when you've spent $20,000 on all new counters and
cabinets and tile to build or remodel the kitchen.

Think the bottom line is, get what you're really going to use, and what you
can afford. Many homes have fancy kitchens, and no one there knows how to
cook.

Kinda like the old saying for the car buffs, if it doesn't go, chrome it!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
Ashton Crusher wrote:

I find it just out of place looking to see a
$330,000 home with a drop in range/oven combo.

Numbers like that are meaningless on a world-wide discussion group.
Where I live, that kind of money won't buy a city lot on the wrong side
of the tracks with a 500 sq. ft. teardown on it. You're talking mobile
home or entry level condo for that.

I got a low end home $80k Anything over about $175k is higher end in
Pittsburgh.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

gregz wrote:
Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
Ashton Crusher wrote:

I find it just out of place looking to see a
$330,000 home with a drop in range/oven combo.

Numbers like that are meaningless on a world-wide discussion group.
Where I live, that kind of money won't buy a city lot on the wrong side
of the tracks with a 500 sq. ft. teardown on it. You're talking mobile
home or entry level condo for that.

I got a low end home $80k Anything over about $175k is higher end in
Pittsburgh.

Greg

I also got 3/4 acre.

Greg

Are old microwave ovens built better than the new ones? Too_Many_Tools Home Repair 63 September 27th 08 11:49 PM
RECALL: Thermador(r) Built-In Ovens Greg Home Repair 0 June 29th 07 10:22 PM
RECALL: Thermador(r) Built-In Ovens Greg Home Ownership 0 June 29th 07 10:22 PM
Built-under gas ovens Nobody UK diy 3 December 28th 06 05:49 PM
Built in ovens - standard size? Peter Hughes UK diy 3 July 3rd 03 06:38 PM