Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Are old microwave ovens built better than the new ones?

I have a microwave that just died...the control board is dead.

I have had this microwave for a number of years and suspect I could
wire a substitute for the controller...likely a timer.

So is this microwave worth saving?

I note that the new ones look like they have been "valued engineered"
to where they may not be the best for the long run.

Your opinion?

Thanks

TMT
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 24, 10:17*pm, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
I have a microwave that just died...the control board is dead.

I have had this microwave for a number of years and suspect I could
wire a substitute for the controller...likely a timer.

So is this microwave worth saving?

I note that the new ones look like they have been "valued engineered"
to where they may not be the best for the long run.

Your opinion?

Thanks

TMT

IMO no, I would cost at least $100 to fix. is a used microwave worth
$100 when a new doest cost much more than that. On the other hand
repair manuals are available on the web and you may be able to get the
part for $50 or so. I might be willing to try something like that.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 19:17:34 -0700 (PDT), Too_Many_Tools
wrote:

I have a microwave that just died...the control board is dead.

I have had this microwave for a number of years and suspect I could
wire a substitute for the controller...likely a timer.

So is this microwave worth saving?

I note that the new ones look like they have been "valued engineered"
to where they may not be the best for the long run.

The cathode ray tube at the heart of a microwave gradually uses itself
up and unit puts out less and less power as it grows older. Also,
modern microwaves generate more power to begin with than older units
did when they were new.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a microwave that just died...the control board is dead.

I have had this microwave for a number of years and suspect I could
wire a substitute for the controller...likely a timer.

So is this microwave worth saving?

I note that the new ones look like they have been "valued engineered"
to where they may not be the best for the long run.

The cathode ray tube at the heart of a microwave gradually uses itself
up and unit puts out less and less power as it grows older. Also,
modern microwaves generate more power to begin with than older units
did when they were new.

There is no cathode ray tube in a microwave oven...klystrons or
magnetrons are typicaly used.

Also, they don't "generate" power.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a microwave that just died...the control board is dead.

I have had this microwave for a number of years and suspect I could
wire a substitute for the controller...likely a timer.

So is this microwave worth saving?

I note that the new ones look like they have been "valued engineered"
to where they may not be the best for the long run.

The cathode ray tube at the heart of a microwave gradually uses itself
up and unit puts out less and less power as it grows older. Also,
modern microwaves generate more power to begin with than older units
did when they were new.

So you can cook and watch TV at the
same time! ROTFLMAO

[8~{} Uncle Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

wrote:
I have a microwave that just died...the control board is dead.

I have had this microwave for a number of years and suspect I could
wire a substitute for the controller...likely a timer.

So is this microwave worth saving?

I note that the new ones look like they have been "valued engineered"
to where they may not be the best for the long run.

The cathode ray tube at the heart of a microwave gradually uses itself
up and unit puts out less and less power as it grows older. *

And here I thought they were mainly used for TVs.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Sep 24, 10:17*pm, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
I have a microwave that just died...the control board is dead.

I have had this microwave for a number of years and suspect I could
wire a substitute for the controller...likely a timer.

So is this microwave worth saving?

I note that the new ones look like they have been "valued engineered"
to where they may not be the best for the long run.

Your opinion?

Thanks

TMT

Buy a new one from Wal-Mart.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a microwave that just died...the control board is dead.

I have had this microwave for a number of years and suspect I could
wire a substitute for the controller...likely a timer.

So is this microwave worth saving?

I note that the new ones look like they have been "valued engineered"
to where they may not be the best for the long run.

The cathode ray tube at the heart of a microwave gradually uses itself
up and unit puts out less and less power as it grows older. Also,
modern microwaves generate more power to begin with than older units
did when they were new.

There is no cathode ray tube in a microwave oven...klystrons or
magnetrons are typicaly used.

Also, they don't "generate" power.

ROTFLMAO This is too good! I wish my microwave
oven oven had a klystron. I could hack it into
an atom smasher or build a radar to detect those
Chinese ICBM's that are coming soon. OH! My tummy
hurts from laughing. I gota lay down. HE HE HE!!

[8~{} Uncle Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

JIMMIE wrote:
On Sep 24, 10:17 pm, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
I have a microwave that just died...the control board is dead.

I have had this microwave for a number of years and suspect I could
wire a substitute for the controller...likely a timer.

So is this microwave worth saving?

I note that the new ones look like they have been "valued engineered"
to where they may not be the best for the long run.

Your opinion?

Thanks

TMT

IMO no, I would cost at least $100 to fix. is a used microwave worth
$100 when a new doest cost much more than that. On the other hand
repair manuals are available on the web and you may be able to get the
part for $50 or so. I might be willing to try something like that.

Jimmie

If you have a commercial/restaurant type microwave
oven, I'd say fix it and keep it. Those units are
of high quality and well made. The microwave oven
I'm using at the shop is one I found next to the
dumpster and it's brand new and had the manual and
clean glass turntable inside it! I've repaired a
lot of microwave ovens over the years and have had
to make the "Not economical to repair decision" on
many of them. The problem with many of the control
boards is that they are the most expensive component
of the whole oven. Many of the other parts like the
micro switches and magnetron are the same across a
number of different models and are not as hard to
find a replacement for. If you know your way around
'lectricity, and know how to use basic test equipment,
you may be able to repair it yourself. Please be very
careful because the high voltage inside is a lot more
dangerous than what you would find in a CRT type TV
set because of the high current. The microwaves can
damage the corneas of your eyes if you were to bypass
the safety interlocks and turn it on with the door
open. If you are determined to repair the oven, there
are a lot of resources online to help you. Here's one:

http://www.gallawa.com/microtech/

Good luck!

[8~{} Uncle Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a microwave that just died...the control board is dead.

I have had this microwave for a number of years and suspect I could
wire a substitute for the controller...likely a timer.

So is this microwave worth saving?

I note that the new ones look like they have been "valued engineered"
to where they may not be the best for the long run.

The cathode ray tube at the heart of a microwave gradually uses itself
up and unit puts out less and less power as it grows older. Also,
modern microwaves generate more power to begin with than older units
did when they were new.

Cathode Ray tube? I think you mean magnatron.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 24, 9:17*pm, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
I have a microwave that just died...the control board is dead.

I have had this microwave for a number of years and suspect I could
wire a substitute for the controller...likely a timer.

So is this microwave worth saving?

I note that the new ones look like they have been "valued engineered"
to where they may not be the best for the long run.

Your opinion?

Thanks

TMT

No its not worth fixing, you can get a new unit cheaper they are not
built as well but what is.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a microwave that just died...the control board is dead.

I have had this microwave for a number of years and suspect I could
wire a substitute for the controller...likely a timer.

So is this microwave worth saving?

I note that the new ones look like they have been "valued engineered"
to where they may not be the best for the long run.

The cathode ray tube at the heart of a microwave gradually uses itself
up and unit puts out less and less power as it grows older. *Also,
modern microwaves generate more power to begin with than older units
did when they were new.

Cathode Ray tube? I think you mean magnatron.- Hide quoted text -

Nope: Magn'E'tron. But that's only spelling.
Unless you are a well accomplished electronics/transmitter technician
don't mess with it.
The control board also monitors that the safety switches etc. are
doing their job.
New m.wave ovens are so cheap it makes more sense, unfortunately, to
dump and get a new one. Frequently around $50 on sale here at say Wal
mart!
Someone once described m.wave ovens "As the most dangerous appliance
ever made"! Please be very careful.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu 25 Sep 2008 01:48:49a, Uncle Monster told us...

wrote:

I have a microwave that just died...the control board is dead.

I have had this microwave for a number of years and suspect I could
wire a substitute for the controller...likely a timer.

So is this microwave worth saving?

I note that the new ones look like they have been "valued engineered"
to where they may not be the best for the long run.

The cathode ray tube at the heart of a microwave gradually uses itself
up and unit puts out less and less power as it grows older. Also,
modern microwaves generate more power to begin with than older units
did when they were new.

So you can cook and watch TV at the
same time! ROTFLMAO

[8~{} Uncle Monster

The only problem is the image keeps spinning around on the turntable.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Thursday, 09(IX)/25(XXV)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
6wks 4dys 17hrs 12mins
Animals are our friends, but they
won't pick you up at the airport.
--Bob Goldthwait
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu 25 Sep 2008 05:01:05a, ransley told us...

On Sep 24, 9:17*pm, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
I have a microwave that just died...the control board is dead.

I have had this microwave for a number of years and suspect I could
wire a substitute for the controller...likely a timer.

So is this microwave worth saving?

I note that the new ones look like they have been "valued engineered"
to where they may not be the best for the long run.

Your opinion?

Thanks

TMT

No its not worth fixing, you can get a new unit cheaper they are not
built as well but what is.

Agreed, it's not worth fixing. We bought a medium size Panasonic for
around $129 that has more power and more useful and practical bells and
whistles than any previous unit we've owned. We've had this one since
2000. It's in frequent daily use and shows no signs of giving up the
ghost.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Thursday, 09(IX)/25(XXV)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
6wks 4dys 17hrs 8mins
When it comes to humility, I'm the
very BEST there is!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 24, 9:17*pm, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
I have a microwave that just died...the control board is dead.

I have had this microwave for a number of years and suspect I could
wire a substitute for the controller...likely a timer.

So is this microwave worth saving?

I note that the new ones look like they have been "valued engineered"
to where they may not be the best for the long run.

Your opinion?

Thanks

TMT

Microwaves are now a commodity, a 1.2 cu ft unit can be purchased from
Wal Mart for $59.95. Unless its a built-in the economics of repairing
them makes them impossible (economically) to repair. My last $80
microwave lasted 10 years through several kids who lived off of hot-
pockets and mini-pizzas.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a microwave that just died...the control board is dead.

I have had this microwave for a number of years and suspect I could
wire a substitute for the controller...likely a timer.

So is this microwave worth saving?

I note that the new ones look like they have been "valued engineered"
to where they may not be the best for the long run.

The cathode ray tube at the heart of a microwave gradually uses itself
up and unit puts out less and less power as it grows older. Also,

Microwave ovens don't have cathode ray tubes unless you've installed a
video game into one or perhaps you have a combination microwave oven
and television set.

They use a tube called a magnetron and usually the power supply will give
out long before the magnetron has degraded enough to be noticeable.

Posted to alt.home.repair

It's not worth fixing a microwave, but I do think the older, American
Made ones like my vintage 1989 Tappan are way better than the Chinese
junk you can only buy today. And I also happen to know one other
person with my exact same microwave. Still in service after all this
time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a microwave that just died...the control board is dead.

I have had this microwave for a number of years and suspect I could
wire a substitute for the controller...likely a timer.

So is this microwave worth saving?

I note that the new ones look like they have been "valued engineered"
to where they may not be the best for the long run.

The cathode ray tube at the heart of a microwave gradually uses itself
up and unit puts out less and less power as it grows older. Also,
modern microwaves generate more power to begin with than older units
did when they were new.

So you can cook and watch TV at the
same time! ROTFLMAO

[8~{} Uncle Monster

The only problem is the image keeps spinning around on the turntable.

And all the shows are turkeys :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 24, 10:17*pm, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
I have a microwave that just died...the control board is dead.

I have had this microwave for a number of years and suspect I could
wire a substitute for the controller...likely a timer.

So is this microwave worth saving?

I note that the new ones look like they have been "valued engineered"
to where they may not be the best for the long run.

Your opinion?

Thanks

TMT

I feel the same way. My old Panasonic microwave lasted many years.
But the last Panasonic microwave only last slightly more than 2
years. I am wondering whether there is something to do with the
weight of the microwave. My old one weight a lot. The pre-maturally
dead one weight very little even though they were the same size.
There are models in the market: some are very light weight, some are
heavy. May be we should start buying microwave by their weight?

Jay Chan
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 24, 10:17*pm, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
I have a microwave that just died...the control board is dead.

I have had this microwave for a number of years and suspect I could
wire a substitute for the controller...likely a timer.

So is this microwave worth saving?

I note that the new ones look like they have been "valued engineered"
to where they may not be the best for the long run.

Your opinion?

Thanks

TMT

I would say that in general the new microwave ovens are built
better than the old ones. Technology marches on and they have become
better.

Don't bother trying to fix and old one. It is not really worth it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/24/2008 7:17 PM Too_Many_Tools spake thus:

I have a microwave that just died...the control board is dead.

I have had this microwave for a number of years and suspect I could
wire a substitute for the controller...likely a timer.

So is this microwave worth saving?

I note that the new ones look like they have been "valued engineered"
to where they may not be the best for the long run.

Your opinion?

All I can offer is one data point. My nuker is a Magic Chef (kind of a
high-end unit, I think) that I bought used from a friend in 1985. It's
still working perfectly for me.

By the way, this oven is so much simpler to operate than *any* of the
new cheap pieces of **** I've seen around. On mine, you just key in the
time on the keypad and hit "Start". On the one where I work sometimes, I
still can't figure out how to make it cook for a desired number of seconds.

- Paulo Freire
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 01:43:13 -0400, Boden wrote:

There is no cathode ray tube in a microwave oven...klystrons or
magnetrons are typicaly used.

Suit yourself. A high power vacuum tube then.

Also, they don't "generate" power.

OK -- The high power vacuum tube at the heart of a microwave gradually
uses itself up and unit puts out less and less power as it grows
older. Also, modern microwaves output more power to begin with than
older units did when they were new.

Happy now?

modern microwaves output more power to begin with than older units
did when they were new. Happy?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 14:15:42 -0500, jim evans wrote:
On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 01:43:13 -0400, Boden wrote:

There is no cathode ray tube in a microwave oven...klystrons or
magnetrons are typicaly used.

Suit yourself. A high power vacuum tube then.

Also, they don't "generate" power.

OK -- The high power vacuum tube at the heart of a microwave gradually
uses itself up and unit puts out less and less power as it grows
older. Also, modern microwaves output more power to begin with than
older units did when they were new.

Happy now?

modern microwaves output more power to begin with than older units
did when they were new. Happy?

No. You're blowing the degradation out of proportion. They might drop
5% by the time the power supply craps out. BFD.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 10:22:15 -0500, AZ Nomad
wrote:

usually the power supply will give out long before the magnetron
has degraded enough to be noticeable.

But he says his has lasted a long time and the power output does
decline with use.

Because the magnetron is a vacuum tube with a hot filament cathode the
emissive layers of the cathode degrade slowly with time. The result
is weakened emission and diminished power of the tube,

One reference of many --
http://aginfo.psu.edu/news/1999/8/microwave.html

"the electrical element that converts electrical energy into microwave
energy, will not maintain the same power levels over time. 'If a new
microwave oven boils a cup of water in one minute, after five or 10
years it may take 90 seconds'
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 14:32:17 -0500, AZ Nomad
wrote:

On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 14:15:42 -0500, jim evans wrote:

modern microwaves output more power to begin with than older units
did when they were new.

No. You're blowing the degradation out of proportion. They might drop
5% by the time the power supply craps out. BFD.

I think you missed my point. Twenty years ago the typical microwave
was 600-800 watts. Today they're typically 1000-1200+

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Jim is offline

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 19:17:34 -0700, Too_Many_Tools wrote:

I have a microwave that just died...the control board is dead.

I have had this microwave for a number of years and suspect I could wire
a substitute for the controller...likely a timer.

So is this microwave worth saving?

I note that the new ones look like they have been "valued engineered" to
where they may not be the best for the long run.

Your opinion?

Thanks

TMT

Best do some research. With the make and model information available
check sites like RepairClinic.com for availability and pricing. From
there you'll have a better idea. That site also gives guidance on the
ease of various repairs.
Posted to alt.home.repair

jim evans wrote in
news
On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 01:43:13 -0400, Boden wrote:

There is no cathode ray tube in a microwave oven...klystrons or
magnetrons are typicaly used.

Suit yourself. A high power vacuum tube then.

Also, they don't "generate" power.

OK -- The high power vacuum tube at the heart of a microwave gradually
uses itself up and unit puts out less and less power as it grows
older. Also, modern microwaves output more power to begin with than
older units did when they were new.

Happy now?

modern microwaves output more power to begin with than older units
did when they were new. Happy?

the cathode emission drops with age;that is the reason for a drop in power
output.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

jim evans wrote in
:

wrote:

modern microwaves output more power to begin with than older units
did when they were new.

No. You're blowing the degradation out of proportion. They might
drop 5% by the time the power supply craps out. BFD.

I think you missed my point. Twenty years ago the typical microwave
was 600-800 watts. Today they're typically 1000-1200+

and with much smaller oven cavities.(and lower price!)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

On Sep 24, 10:17*pm, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
I have a microwave that just died...the control board is dead.

I have had this microwave for a number of years and suspect I could
wire a substitute for the controller...likely a timer.

So is this microwave worth saving?

I note that the new ones look like they have been "valued engineered"
to where they may not be the best for the long run.

Your opinion?

Thanks

TMT

My microwave has a "manufactured" date on it of 1976. It's huge by
today's standards and weights about the same as a small Buick. It's
also as powerful as all heck and cooks very evenly. When it gets
done, it rings a real bell (ding). For the timer, you push in a
button and rotate it so the numbers rotate to the correct time -- no
LED here -- it has real wheels.

Its only 30 years old, so its only just approaching middle age. It
may be the only microwave I ever own if it keeps going another 30 or
40 years.

Now coffee pots are a different matter. My coffee pot died last
year. It was only 17 years old. Seems like they could make one last
a reasonable time. How hard would it be to hit 20 or 25 years with a
coffee pot?

TVs seem reasonable. Someone gave me my bedroom TV about 18 or 19
years ago, so it's probably only 25 or 30 years old. The good part is
that when I have to program the replacement remote, the code is "000"
which is easy to remember.

Unfortunately, my downstairs TV was only about 10 or 12 years old when
it died. Hard to tell how the new one will last, it's only a couple
of years old. But somehow I doubt it'll make it to the 30 year mark.

A lot of the old stuff didn't come with the bells and whistles that
are standard today, but I think they were made to last. Now, too much
is disposable but in some ways that's okay because the technology is
changing so fast.

Posted to alt.home.repair

zzyzzx wrote:
It's not worth fixing a microwave, but I do think the older, American
Made ones like my vintage 1989 Tappan are way better than the Chinese
junk you can only buy today. And I also happen to know one other
person with my exact same microwave. Still in service after all this
time.

My 1982? Samsung sitting on the kitchen counter still works fine. It'll
likely outlive me.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu 25 Sep 2008 08:56:41a, Harry L told us...

wrote:

I have a microwave that just died...the control board is dead.

I have had this microwave for a number of years and suspect I could
wire a substitute for the controller...likely a timer.

So is this microwave worth saving?

I note that the new ones look like they have been "valued engineered"
to where they may not be the best for the long run.

The cathode ray tube at the heart of a microwave gradually uses itself
up and unit puts out less and less power as it grows older. Also,
modern microwaves generate more power to begin with than older units
did when they were new.

So you can cook and watch TV at the
same time! ROTFLMAO

[8~{} Uncle Monster

The only problem is the image keeps spinning around on the turntable.

And all the shows are turkeys :-)

LOL! You don't need a microwave for that. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Thursday, 09(IX)/25(XXV)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
6wks 4dys 6hrs 37mins
A bird in the hand can be messy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Uncle Monster" wrote:

[snip]
If you are determined to repair the oven, there
are a lot of resources online to help you. Here's one:

http://www.gallawa.com/microtech/

I'd also recommend Sam Goldwasser's guide on them, especially at the lower
cost:

http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/micfaq.htm

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jon Danniken wrote:
"Uncle Monster" wrote:

[snip]
If you are determined to repair the oven, there
are a lot of resources online to help you. Here's one:

http://www.gallawa.com/microtech/

I'd also recommend Sam Goldwasser's guide on them, especially at the lower
cost:

http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/micfaq.htm

Jon

Cool, I got a lot of good links out
of that site, thanks. I'm always
looking for new sources of information.

[8~{} Uncle Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 24, 10:17*pm, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
I have a microwave that just died...the control board is dead.

I have had this microwave for a number of years and suspect I could
wire a substitute for the controller...likely a timer.

So is this microwave worth saving?

Unless you are an electronics whiz, and have an identical unit with a
known good board to scavenge for parts, no. It's unlikely that you
will be able to obtain parts, and even if you can, you may find that
the parts are far more costly than replacing the unit, even with a
higher grade model.

I note that the new ones look like they have been "valued engineered"
to where they may not be the best for the long run.

Your opinion?

First off, there are more places than Walmart that sell microwaves.
Try an appliance store.

Second off, yes they are value engineered. Think about how much your
old microwave cost and how long ago that was. Look at what a new
microwave costs, and how much less a dollar buys you now than then.
Something had to give, and that something was the quality and
reliability of the product.
Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote in
:

zzyzzx wrote:
It's not worth fixing a microwave, but I do think the older, American
Made ones like my vintage 1989 Tappan are way better than the Chinese
junk you can only buy today. And I also happen to know one other
person with my exact same microwave. Still in service after all this
time.

My 1982? Samsung sitting on the kitchen counter still works fine. It'll
likely outlive me.

--
aem sends...

I repaired my 1980 Sharp 650W uwave about 8 yrs ago,cost of $25 in parts.
VERY cost-efficient.

and it has a larger(taller) oven cavity than current ovens.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu 25 Sep 2008 09:12:36p, Jim Yanik told us...

aemeijers wrote in
:

zzyzzx wrote:
It's not worth fixing a microwave, but I do think the older, American
Made ones like my vintage 1989 Tappan are way better than the Chinese
junk you can only buy today. And I also happen to know one other
person with my exact same microwave. Still in service after all this
time.

My 1982? Samsung sitting on the kitchen counter still works fine. It'll
likely outlive me.

--
aem sends...

I repaired my 1980 Sharp 650W uwave about 8 yrs ago,cost of $25 in parts.
VERY cost-efficient.

and it has a larger(taller) oven cavity than current ovens.

I assume you're happy with it, but a 650 watt oven is sadly under-powered
by today's standards. I'm sure that there must be some current models with
a taller cabinet than others.

We have two m/w's, one 1000 watt over-the-range model which I consider
perfectly adequate, and a second 1350 watt countertop model which I really
prefer. The over-the-range unit has a tall enough cavity to accomodate any
container I use, and is tall enough to handle two levels of cooking if the
rack is inserted.

It's nice to save money, but I prefer advances in technology.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Thursday, 09(IX)/25(XXV)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
6wks 4dys 1hrs 55mins
A cat's purr is the sound of it
generating mystery.
Posted to alt.home.repair

My parents bought a microwave before we moved in 1975, I think it was. I
remember them wondering if it would fit under the cabinets, in the new
house. It did, and it's still there. Dad had to reoil the blower fan a
couple times over the last decades.

Mine, my parents bought for me in maybe 1991. I've still got it, and it
works fine.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"zzyzzx" wrote in message
It's not worth fixing a microwave, but I do think the older, American
Made ones like my vintage 1989 Tappan are way better than the Chinese
junk you can only buy today. And I also happen to know one other
person with my exact same microwave. Still in service after all this
time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 05:11:10 GMT, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
I assume you're happy with it, but a 650 watt oven is sadly under-powered
by today's standards. I'm sure that there must be some current models with
a taller cabinet than others.

We have two m/w's, one 1000 watt over-the-range model which I consider
perfectly adequate, and a second 1350 watt countertop model which I really
prefer. The over-the-range unit has a tall enough cavity to accomodate any
container I use, and is tall enough to handle two levels of cooking if the
rack is inserted.

It's nice to save money, but I prefer advances in technology.

Unless you like to heat and eat rocks, more power isn't desirable.

I rarely use full power. I'd rather eat my food than scrape it off the
walls of the microwave oven. I cook my morning breakfast cerial at
power 4 and use 5 or 6 for everything else.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri 26 Sep 2008 06:35:01a, AZ Nomad told us...

wrote:
I assume you're happy with it, but a 650 watt oven is sadly
under-powered by today's standards. I'm sure that there must be some
current models with a taller cabinet than others.

We have two m/w's, one 1000 watt over-the-range model which I consider
perfectly adequate, and a second 1350 watt countertop model which I
really prefer. The over-the-range unit has a tall enough cavity to
accomodate any container I use, and is tall enough to handle two levels
of cooking if the rack is inserted.

It's nice to save money, but I prefer advances in technology.

Unless you like to heat and eat rocks, more power isn't desirable.

I rarely use full power. I'd rather eat my food than scrape it off the
walls of the microwave oven. I cook my morning breakfast cerial at
power 4 and use 5 or 6 for everything else.

There are lots of things that I cook at power 2, 3, or 4. I also cook
virtually everything covered, so there's no mess in the oven cavity
regardless of power setting. However, full power at high wattage is great
for quickly bringing liquid based items to a boil, then lowering the
setting for longer cooking. Not to mention that the higher the wattage,
the better popcorn pops and with virtually no unpopped kernels. This is
true whether it's prepackaged m/w popcorn, or using a m/w popcorn popper
with regular popcorn, with or without oil. Cooking bacon is no messier at
high power than at lower settings.

Today, cooking times for packaged frozen foods are usually calibrated for
ovens of 1000-1200 watts. Take a look at the packages. The final product
cooks better at the appropriate wattage, rather than having to adjust the
timing up to compensate for low power.

We jave 650 watt Amana microwaves in our break room at work. I *hate*
cookingin them.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Friday, 09(IX)/26(XXVI)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
6wks 3dys 16hrs 59mins
One man's confusion is another man's
Ph.D. thesis.

Microwave Ovens Astriapo Electronics Repair 1 April 6th 08 01:43 PM
RECALL: Thermador(r) Built-In Ovens Greg Home Repair 0 June 29th 07 10:22 PM
RECALL: Thermador(r) Built-In Ovens Greg Home Ownership 0 June 29th 07 10:22 PM
Built-under gas ovens Nobody UK diy 3 December 28th 06 05:49 PM
Built in ovens - standard size? Peter Hughes UK diy 3 July 3rd 03 06:38 PM