Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default built in vs free standing stoves and ovens

Ashton Crusher wrote:
In my experience the more expensive homes always had built in ovens,
sometimes with microwave (built into the cabinetry) and cook tops
built into the countertops. Lower priced homes would more commonly
have a drop-in stove and oven combo with exhaust hood/vent over it.
Yet more and more I see most new construction at every price range, as
well as remodels of higher price range homes where a drop-in stove and
oven combo is used with a combo microwave\exhaust hood/vent over it.

Have times changed? I find it just out of place looking to see a
$330,000 home with a drop in range/oven combo. Just seems like the
wrong ambiance when you've spent $20,000 on all new counters and
cabinets and tile to build or remodel the kitchen.

My house has builtins. They are a royal pain to replace. I would never choose to
install them myself, except to replace them when they die. The microwaves - at
least they seem to be somewhat standardised. The ovens - forget it.