Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What would happen if I just bypassed this garden water checkvalve?

I called Technical Support again: 1-855-663-9876x2x4
and I detail the answers so the NEXT person with a
similar question can find the answers more easily.

Zurn Wilkins (they don't call it Wilkins Zurn) tech support
confirmed the (1) indicates it's a 1-inch fitting even though
the OD of the pipe going in is clearly (much) greater than
one inch in diameter.

They told me to look for an additional (1") on the body
and lo and behold, there it is (see this picture):

They only sell one repair kit which is the
RK34-975XL $43.20 (fits 3/4" and 1")

This repair kit comes with the thicker upper check valve
spring, the thinner lower check valve spring, 3 o-rings,
3 seals, etc., and as such is a "complete" repair kit.

They said that Furgeson Enterprises sells them:
http://www.ferguson.com

So, I think we have our solution!
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Danny D." wrote:

I detail the answers so the NEXT person with a
similar question can find the answers more easily.

Yeah, thanks, Donna.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 06 Nov 2012 08:39:03 -0800, Smitty Two wrote:

On Tue, 06 Nov 2012 16:27:33 +0000, Danny D. wrote:

They only sell one repair kit which is the
RK34-975XL $43.20 (fits 3/4" and 1")

I got a call that my repair kit is in so I'll snap a photo of it when I
pick it up and let you guys know how it works out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 08 Nov 2012 15:13:06 +0000, Danny D. wrote:

I got a call that my repair kit is in so I'll snap a photo of it when I
pick it up and let you guys know how it works out.

Here is the Zurn Wilkins 950-XL backflow preventer repair kit.

Hard to believe I paid fifty bucks for two springs and a
couple of o-rings!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 9 Nov 2012 03:42:18 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

On Thu, 08 Nov 2012 15:13:06 +0000, Danny D. wrote:

I got a call that my repair kit is in so I'll snap a photo of it when I
pick it up and let you guys know how it works out.

Here is the Zurn Wilkins 950-XL backflow preventer repair kit.

Hard to believe I paid fifty bucks for two springs and a
couple of o-rings!

Worse is buying a four barrel carburetor kit and having parts left
over. After all that, the engine runs great.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Danny D." wrote:

On Thu, 08 Nov 2012 15:13:06 +0000, Danny D. wrote:

I got a call that my repair kit is in so I'll snap a photo of it when I
pick it up and let you guys know how it works out.

Here is the Zurn Wilkins 950-XL backflow preventer repair kit.

Hard to believe I paid fifty bucks for two springs and a
couple of o-rings!

You didn't. You paid $1 for the parts and $49 to the company for the
considerable effort of making them available to you. The same ratio
probably applies to a bottle of dish soap.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/8/2012 7:42 PM, Danny D. wrote:
On Thu, 08 Nov 2012 15:13:06 +0000, Danny D. wrote:

I got a call that my repair kit is in so I'll snap a photo of it when I
pick it up and let you guys know how it works out.

Here is the Zurn Wilkins 950-XL backflow preventer repair kit.

Hard to believe I paid fifty bucks for two springs and a
couple of o-rings!

I have a similar check valve, which I hate, since it tends to leak.
When it does leak, I take it apart, clean it out without replacing
parts, and wait until it leaks again.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 09 Nov 2012 14:02:30 -0800, Betsy wrote:

I have a similar check valve, which I hate, since it tends to leak.
When it does leak, I take it apart, clean it out without replacing
parts, and wait until it leaks again.

What do you find when you clean the valve? (sand, small pebbles, some
other debris)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 09 Nov 2012 14:22:14 -0800, Oren wrote:

What do you find when you clean the valve?
(sand, small pebbles, some other debris)

I'll let you know when I take it apart, hopefully
this weekend!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/6/2012 10:27 AM, Danny D. wrote:
I called Technical Support again: 1-855-663-9876x2x4
and I detail the answers so the NEXT person with a
similar question can find the answers more easily.

Zurn Wilkins (they don't call it Wilkins Zurn) tech support
confirmed the (1) indicates it's a 1-inch fitting even though
the OD of the pipe going in is clearly (much) greater than
one inch in diameter.

They told me to look for an additional (1") on the body
and lo and behold, there it is (see this picture):

They only sell one repair kit which is the
RK34-975XL $43.20 (fits 3/4" and 1")

This repair kit comes with the thicker upper check valve
spring, the thinner lower check valve spring, 3 o-rings,
3 seals, etc., and as such is a "complete" repair kit.

They said that Furgeson Enterprises sells them:
http://www.ferguson.com

So, I think we have our solution!

I don't know where you are, but here we take them off in the winter
months. We have coaches who run out to turn water on after our plumbers
have blown down the lines for the winter. Lots of broken pipe after a
good freeze. Just seems to work out better to undo the 2 unions and put
the back flow preventer indoors.

--

___________________________________

Keep the whole world singing . . .
Dan G
remove the seven

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 09 Nov 2012 09:40:42 -0800, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
"Danny D." wrote:

On Thu, 08 Nov 2012 15:13:06 +0000, Danny D. wrote:

I got a call that my repair kit is in so I'll snap a photo of it when I
pick it up and let you guys know how it works out.

Here is the Zurn Wilkins 950-XL backflow preventer repair kit.

Hard to believe I paid fifty bucks for two springs and a
couple of o-rings!

You didn't. You paid $1 for the parts and $49 to the company for the
considerable effort of making them available to you. The same ratio
probably applies to a bottle of dish soap.

Well, you could make the springs yourself.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 15 Nov 2012 15:27:44 -0500, krw wrote:

Well, you could make the springs yourself.

We probably could second source the springs and o-rings in a second.
Or just refurbish the set.

I hope to get to this project this weekend so as to be able to report
back with pictures of the job.

Meanwhile, I'm waiting on parts for my other projects lined up!
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.landscape

On Fri, 09 Nov 2012 14:22:14 -0800, Oren wrote:

This garden Wilkins Zurn water check valve is leaking:
SMALL: http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/...0/11343535.jpg
LARGE: http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11343535.jpg

What do you find when you clean the valve? (sand, small pebbles,
some other debris)

UPDATE:
Thanks for all your help & advice!
My backflow preventer is now repaired & no longer leaking water.
A 15-step pictorial DIY is attached below.

SUMMARY:
I found all the parts inside the three valves in excellent condition
as you had suggested it would be - but I replaced them all anyway.

The key problem I saw was the #2 check valve was stuck in place
due to light-green corrosion inside the brass cap cavity.

Also there was light-green corrosion in all cavities, which I
painstakingly wire brushed out - as that was the key issue.

On a scale of 1 to 10, this is an easy 1. No surprises. No special
tools. It took me about three hours - one hour for the #1 check
valve on the top inlet, another hour for the #2 check valve on the
bottom outlet, and another hour for the relief valve on the inlet.

It should take you about a half hour in total - maybe 45 minutes,
depending on how well you wish to clean out the green corrosion.
I took my sweet time.

Below is a quick DIY with photographs for the $755 1-inch ID
Zurn Wilkins 975XL Reduced Pressure Principle Backflow Preventer
(http://www.zurn.com/Pages/ProductDet...NodeKey=377206)
after detailing the 11-piece Wilkins Water Works RK34-975XL $43.20
repair kit (855-663-9876) and assembly instructions.

STEP 0 of 3: Shut inlet & outlet valves & open #2,#3,&#4 test ports
STEP 1 of 3: Repair #1 check valve on top inlet
STEP 2 of 3: Repair #2 check valve on bottom outlet
STEP 3 of 3: Repair relieve valve on side inlet

Here is a step-by-step DIY in 15 annotated photographs: