Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG[_2_] DanG[_2_] is offline

Default What would happen if I just bypassed this garden water checkvalve?

On 11/6/2012 10:27 AM, Danny D. wrote:
I called Technical Support again: 1-855-663-9876x2x4
and I detail the answers so the NEXT person with a
similar question can find the answers more easily.

Zurn Wilkins (they don't call it Wilkins Zurn) tech support
confirmed the (1) indicates it's a 1-inch fitting even though
the OD of the pipe going in is clearly (much) greater than
one inch in diameter.

They told me to look for an additional (1") on the body
and lo and behold, there it is (see this picture):

They only sell one repair kit which is the
RK34-975XL $43.20 (fits 3/4" and 1")

This repair kit comes with the thicker upper check valve
spring, the thinner lower check valve spring, 3 o-rings,
3 seals, etc., and as such is a "complete" repair kit.

They said that Furgeson Enterprises sells them:
http://www.ferguson.com

So, I think we have our solution!

I don't know where you are, but here we take them off in the winter
months. We have coaches who run out to turn water on after our plumbers
have blown down the lines for the winter. Lots of broken pipe after a
good freeze. Just seems to work out better to undo the 2 unions and put
the back flow preventer indoors.

--

Keep the whole world singing . . .
Dan G