Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What would happen if I just bypassed this garden water check valve?

"Danny D." wrote:

I can't understand HOW it works given that it's at the top of a hill.

At that height above the house, no water is ever going to flow backward
into the water supply (I think).

The only water higher is the water tank itself, the bottom of which is at
the same level as this Wilkins Zurn water check valve.

I don't know WHY this check valve even exists, since it's 10 to 20 feet
ABOVE almos all the spigots (except those at the water tank itself).

Do you agree I can just bypass this check valve?
Or am I missing something obvious?

Yes, you are missing something obvious. If there is no check valve there, water
can be drawn by vacuum back into the house. The elevation of the line is
immaterial.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 05 Nov 2012 20:40:55 -0700, Robert Neville wrote:

Yes, you are missing something obvious. If there is no check valve
there, water can be drawn by vacuum back into the house. The elevation
of the line is immaterial.

Hmmm... that must be true because they bothered to put the check valve
there.

Are you saying ALL houses which have a separate line for garden hoses
than for the house, have a check valve ONLY on the garden hose line but
not for the house?

Because I have only one check valve ... and it's ONLY for the garden
hoses.

The way I know that is I shut it off (because it was leaking), and only
the garden hoses stopped working.

So, is EVERYBODY's house designed this way?