Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What would happen if I just bypassed this garden water checkvalve?

On 11-05-2012 20:16, Danny D. wrote:
This garden Wilkins Zurn water check valve is leaking:
SMALL: http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/...0/11343535.jpg
LARGE: http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11343535.jpg

I can't understand HOW it works given that it's at the top of a hill.

At that height above the house, no water is ever going to flow backward
into the water supply (I think).

The only water higher is the water tank itself, the bottom of which is at
the same level as this Wilkins Zurn water check valve.

I don't know WHY this check valve even exists, since it's 10 to 20 feet
ABOVE almos all the spigots (except those at the water tank itself).

Do you agree I can just bypass this check valve?
Or am I missing something obvious?

You have water higher and you expect it to ignore an opportunity to get
lower?

--
Wes Groleau

Guidelines for judging others:
1. Don't attribute to malice that which
can be adequately explained by stupidity.
2. Don't attribute to stupidity that which
can be adequately explained by ignorance.
3. Don't attribute to ignorance that which
can be adequately explained by misunderstanding.
4. Don't attribute to misunderstanding that which
can be adequately explained by alcohol.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 05 Nov 2012 22:25:37 -0500, Wes Groleau wrote:

You have water higher and you expect it to ignore
an opportunity to get lower?

Hmmm... the water goes lower all the time.

Otherwise, I'd have no water in my garden hoses.

It's the OPPOSITE direction that the check valve is for.

However, I can't imagine water ever climbing that high UP from the garden
hose into the water tanks on the other side of the check valve.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11-06-2012 00:33, Danny D. wrote:
On Mon, 05 Nov 2012 22:25:37 -0500, Wes Groleau wrote:
You have water higher and you expect it to ignore
an opportunity to get lower?

Hmmm... the water goes lower all the time.

Otherwise, I'd have no water in my garden hoses.

It's the OPPOSITE direction that the check valve is for.

However, I can't imagine water ever climbing that high UP from the garden
hose into the water tanks on the other side of the check valve.

Sorry, when you said "the only water higher" I thought you meant there
actually was some water higher..

--
Wes Groleau

--
Wes Groleau

A UNIX signature isn't a return address, it's the ASCII equivalent
of a black velvet clown painting. It's a rectangle of carets
surrounding a quote from a literary giant of weeniedom like
Heinlein or Dr. Who.
€” Chris Maeda
Ha, ha, Dr. ..... Who's Chris Maeda?
€” Wes Groleau