Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Recirculating heat motor ... can it be quieted or bypassed (pic included)

Oh, forgot. Instead of metal strapped to the wall, maybe you can make rubber
mounts of some kind, so the sound isn't carried into the wall.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Martin C." wrote in message
I need advice on this heat pump motor:
http://picturepush.com/public/7964530

I bought a house which apparently has a rather noisy heat-recirculation
motor, which kicks in more frequently than we'd like, and which is
situated just below living quarters ... hence the noise is rather
obnoxious to the occupants.
http://picturepush.com/public/7964534

The noise doesn't sound like a high-pitched bad-bearing noise ... just a
loud-motor humming noise. But it kicks on a lot (many times a day) so
it's irksome.

Having never experienced a recirculating heat motor before, why do I need
it anyway? I presume it is what gives me the nearly instant hot water in
all faucets and shower heads in the house. Anything else?

I wonder aloud if I'd rather have a few minutes of cold water instead of
incessant noise from this motor???

But, not knowing anything about the operation, I'm afraid to bypass it or
even turn it off until/unless I talk to someone who understands these
things.

Particularly, if I were to bypass it, how would I do that most easily for
test purposes? If I cut the power to it, for example, would anything burn
out elsewhere? Can I just re-pipe around it?

For those of you with these big black motors in your hot-water line near
your hot-water heater, are yours as noisy as mine? Is there a quiet
variety for example? Or are they all this noisy?

What's the best way to turn it off temporarily to test out whether the
bliss of silence is better than a few minutes of cold water in the
morning?