Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Donating to NYC

RobertPatrick wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in
m:

Winston_Smith wrote:

On Mon, 05 Nov 2012 19:40:45 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:
Winston_Smith wrote:

Dry goods? That box of pasta isn't so dry after the flood.

You leave dry Pasta in boxes?

Most of the sheeples do. The ones at the store are.

So, you don't keep any food at home? That figures. I open the boxes
& put it into airtight containers the day I bring it home. I keep six
or seven types on hand, depending on what I can find.

They'd have to be put into a vacuum (not the cleaner).

Really? They keep for several years without doing that. You can
toss some desiccant packs in, if you're paranoid.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 05 Nov 2012 22:48:56 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"

So, no one in New England knows the proper way to store food? Glad
to know that.

What a trolling fool you are proving to be. Most people don't know
that. Many of the people in the storm area consider themselves lucky
to HAVE a box of pasta. Certainly some know how to pack food but most
either don't know or haven't done it.

You have a knack for going from the general to the specific and back
to the general if it fits your silly games.

By the way, we are all glad to learn New Jersey and New York City are
in New England. Must have been a hell of a tidal push.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 05 Nov 2012 23:36:10 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Winston_Smith wrote:

On Mon, 05 Nov 2012 22:48:56 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"

So, no one in New England knows the proper way to store food? Glad
to know that.

What a trolling fool you are proving to be. Most people don't know
that. Many of the people in the storm area consider themselves lucky
to HAVE a box of pasta. Certainly some know how to pack food but most
either don't know or haven't done it.

You have a knack for going from the general to the specific and back
to the general if it fits your silly games.

By the way, we are all glad to learn New Jersey and New York City are
in New England. Must have been a hell of a tidal push.

YAwn.

Awww, is the poor widdle troll tired? I guess getting your ass lobed
off, half jellied and the other half dehydrated, salted, and then
handed back to you does take away all your ambition for a while.

Rest well, my friend.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Winston_Smith wrote:

On Mon, 05 Nov 2012 22:48:56 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"

So, no one in New England knows the proper way to store food? Glad
to know that.

What a trolling fool you are proving to be. Most people don't know
that. Many of the people in the storm area consider themselves lucky
to HAVE a box of pasta. Certainly some know how to pack food but most
either don't know or haven't done it.

You have a knack for going from the general to the specific and back
to the general if it fits your silly games.

By the way, we are all glad to learn New Jersey and New York City are
in New England. Must have been a hell of a tidal push.

YAwn.

Awww, is the poor widdle troll tired?

I don't know. Are you?

I guess getting your ass lobed
off, half jellied and the other half dehydrated, salted, and then
handed back to you does take away all your ambition for a while.

Tell us all, troll. Just how they are supposed to cook any pasta,
boxed or not.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

So, no one in New England knows the proper way to store food? Glad
to know that.

In the NYC area...far too few do. I know a number of them personally.
And a more ignorant bunch cant be found when it comes to practical
stuff.

I've met too many 'New yawkers' that brag that they never cook
anything, since there is never a time they can't find a restaurant
open. "I can just by a slice, anytime around the clock! Why keep food
in the apartment?"

It was fun watching a couple guys from that area suffer through cold
weather survival training at the US Army Cold Weather Test Site. It's a
good thing they were given some old rations or they would have died.
Then the fools were begging everyone for the two cigarettes that were
older than they were. Ever see a fool try to light a cigarette from a
roaring campfire at -40F? Not a pretty sight.

Dealing with them is like watching Seinfeld. Brrrrrrrr.

One of the most disgusting TV shows I've ever had the misfortune to
see.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking

Flashlightophile, silly!

Candy is dandy, and liquor is quicker. But, batteries and bulbs turn me on.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

Stormin Mormon wrote:

You know, that has artistic flair. I like it!

Now, do something with flashlights.

"Do something with flashlights"? What kind of pervert are you?

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking

If you eat a gallon of onions, I refuse to kiss you.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

I buy the big containers of spices from Sam's Club and save them for
pasta, cereal and other bulk food. You never know when you'll need a
gallon of dried onions, black pepper or chili powder.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking

Is that a board game? Weekend Christian?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Kronos" wrote in message

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Yeah, but Major Bloombutt says it was supposed

I'm sure being the heathen you are, you will ask for forgiveness when you
play weekend Christian.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:

If you eat a gallon of onions, I refuse to kiss you.

That won't happen, unless you're a pretty blue eyed blonde female.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Flashlightophile, silly!

Candy is dandy, and liquor is quicker. But, batteries and bulbs turn me on.

Another lame shot in the dark...
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner wrote:

On Tue, 06 Nov 2012 06:46:11 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Gunner wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

[...]

There is a second species class attached to humanity.

Homo Sapians Urbanis.

They are like a second species when they come from big eastern cities.

Yet 30 minutes outside of NYC..they are almost normal.

Almost. ;-)

Shrug.

Dealing with them is like watching Seinfeld. Brrrrrrrr.

One of the most disgusting TV shows I've ever had the misfortune to
see.

Indeed. And some people find it funny. It makes me sick and I refuse
to watch it.

Soup Nazi????

Only an idiot would find that funny. Why the hell would anyone want
to go to a place like that, in the first place. Pay outrageous prices
for soup from an asshole?
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking

Did any of the troops "get it" and start to pack
in some supplies? Or did the Lawn Guyland types
just transfer their dependance to you?

"Go see Col. Terrell, he's got all that kind of stuff."

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

I've met too many 'New yawkers' that brag that they never cook
anything, since there is never a time they can't find a restaurant
open. "I can just by a slice, anytime around the clock! Why keep food
in the apartment?"

It was fun watching a couple guys from that area suffer through cold
weather survival training at the US Army Cold Weather Test Site. It's a
good thing they were given some old rations or they would have died.
Then the fools were begging everyone for the two cigarettes that were
older than they were. Ever see a fool try to light a cigarette from a
roaring campfire at -40F? Not a pretty sight.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Donating to onion eaters

This is last year's dehydrated onion eating champ:
http://tinyurl.com/alj9e4x

Pucker up!

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Stormin Mormon wrote:

If you eat a gallon of onions, I refuse to kiss you.

That won't happen, unless you're a pretty blue eyed blonde female.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking

I'm not in the dark. I've got night flashlights.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Flashlightophile, silly!

Candy is dandy, and liquor is quicker. But, batteries and bulbs turn me
on.

Another lame shot in the dark...

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Did any of the troops "get it" and start to pack
in some supplies? Or did the Lawn Guyland types
just transfer their dependance to you?

You were issued these items:

1: Arctic sleeping bag.
2: Tent half. (Canvas tarp)
3: Arctic insulated boots w/pressure release.
4: Folding Shovel.
5: A couple matches.
6: Korean war surplus rations.

You sat through a four hour class that told you what you had to do to
be safe, and to survive three days at under -20F. Even then, some
thought they were smarter than the instructors.

"Go see Col. Terrell, he's got all that kind of stuff."

I wasn't a Col. The only Col. on base was the commander.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:

This is last year's dehydrated onion eating champ:
http://tinyurl.com/alj9e4x

Silly rabbit! I use them in soup, chili and sauces.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:

I'm not in the dark. I've got night flashlights.

So, none work during the day? How sad!
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote...
Stormin Mormon wrote:

"Go see Col. Terrell, he's got all that kind of stuff."

I wasn't a Col. The only Col. on base was the commander.

When you really NEED something, you do like the officers and find a
Sergeant.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote...
Stormin Mormon wrote:

"Go see Col. Terrell, he's got all that kind of stuff."

I wasn't a Col. The only Col. on base was the commander.

When you really NEED something, you do like the officers and find a
Sergeant.

Or an engineer who knows a general, and isn't afraid to knock him
down if he gets in the way.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gunner wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

[...]

It was a sitcom? It was said that the show was about absolutely nothing. O_o

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking

The Daring Dufas wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Only an idiot would find that funny. Why the hell would anyone want
to go to a place like that, in the first place. Pay outrageous prices
for soup from an asshole?

It was a sitcom?

I think you are missing a letter in that last word.

It was said that the show was about absolutely nothing. O_o

Full of absolute zeros?
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner on Mon, 05 Nov 2012 18:46:13 -0800 typed
in alt.survival the following:

wrote:
Winston_Smith wrote:

Dry goods? That box of pasta isn't so dry after the flood.

You leave dry Pasta in boxes?

Most of the sheeples do. The ones at the store are.

So, you don't keep any food at home? That figures. I open the boxes
& put it into airtight containers the day I bring it home. I keep six
or seven types on hand, depending on what I can find.

Same here.

The 99c stores are a decent place for such containers btw. You will
simply have to hit a few to find what you want.

A lot of the "jars" one finds at Sams Club etc that hold candy,
peanuts and whatnot..the tall ones..work pretty well for spagettie and
longer pasta. I tend to give my jars a shot of Argon from the welding
shop before closing them up. Stuff lasts for years.

Well, of course, Argon is a Noble Gas. SO of course the gas will
last.

Oh, what? You meant the other stuff in the jar? "Never mind!"

tschus
pyotr

p.s. I find myself in Costoc, etc, looking at the square jars and
thinking "I want that jar, but I don't like peanut-butter stuffed
pretzels - not that much."
--
pyotr filipivich
Most journalists these days couldn't investigate a missing chocolate cake
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" on Tue, 06 Nov 2012
08:17:36 -0500 typed in alt.survival the following:
Gunner wrote:
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
[...]

Because everybody goes there, of course.

tschus
pyotr
--
pyotr filipivich
Most journalists these days couldn't investigate a missing chocolate cake
at a pre-school without a Democrat office holder telling them what to look for,
where, and why it is Geroge Bush's fault.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Gunner wrote:

Soup Nazi????

Only an idiot would find that funny. Why the hell would anyone want
to go to a place like that, in the first place. Pay outrageous prices
for soup from an asshole?

Because everybody goes there, of course.

Not me. Why wait in line for bad service?

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner wrote:

Speaking of which..I have a brand new pair of those Mickey Mouse
boots..the inflatable Arctic boots in size 9 that I picked up at a
yard sale. Bata made (makers name..good maker). These are true GI
issue, and as far as I can determine..absolutely brand new.

Anyone want them? $10 plus shipping at cost.

Winter is indeed coming.

Anyone? They go on Ebay in 2 days if no one wants them.

Those would have fit me, 40 years ago.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner wrote:

pyotr filipivich wrote:

I find myself in Costoc, etc, looking at the square jars and
thinking "I want that jar, but I don't like peanut-butter stuffed
pretzels - not that much."

I have the same problem. It would be nice if one could find the maker
of the jars and buy some.

I've seen some at K-mart, but they were the same price as ones full
of food at Sam's Club.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner wrote:

On Tue, 06 Nov 2012 14:35:07 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Gunner wrote:

Speaking of which..I have a brand new pair of those Mickey Mouse
boots..the inflatable Arctic boots in size 9 that I picked up at a
yard sale. Bata made (makers name..good maker). These are true GI
issue, and as far as I can determine..absolutely brand new.

Anyone want them? $10 plus shipping at cost.

Winter is indeed coming.

Anyone? They go on Ebay in 2 days if no one wants them.

Those would have fit me, 40 years ago.

Ive worn size 11.5-12 for 40 yrs. Some of the imported stuff ..I may
go to 12.5

But they were so nice, I snagged em for someone to use.

I do think about my people here on the newsgroups.

I was 8.5 W back then. Now, its 12 EEEEEE.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" on Tue, 06 Nov 2012
14:34:03 -0500 typed in alt.survival the following:

pyotr filipivich wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Gunner wrote:

Soup Nazi????

Only an idiot would find that funny. Why the hell would anyone want
to go to a place like that, in the first place. Pay outrageous prices
for soup from an asshole?

Because everybody goes there, of course.

Not me. Why wait in line for bad service?

Obviously, you are not a Hipster. Otherwise you'd know that Bad
Service maps to "Cool Place."
--
pyotr filipivich
Most journalists these days couldn't investigate a missing chocolate cake
at a pre-school without a Democrat office holder telling them what to look for,
where, and why it is Geroge Bush's fault.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Gunner wrote:

Soup Nazi????

Only an idiot would find that funny. Why the hell would anyone want
to go to a place like that, in the first place. Pay outrageous prices
for soup from an asshole?

Because everybody goes there, of course.

Not me. Why wait in line for bad service?

Obviously, you are not a Hipster. Otherwise you'd know that Bad
Service maps to "Cool Place."

So does a redneck on a bulldozer, after he's refused service by some
little ass.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking

"George" wrote in message
On 11/6/2012 2:17 AM, Robert Green wrote:
Snip DPB's remarkably concise yet complete explanation of logistics

and
why people sending random "stuff" into a disaster area really isn't
helping.

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Can't UPS a box of stuff to the NYC branch of Salvation Army?

Wow. You read DPB's excellent explanations of why whatever non-monetary
"stuff" you plan to donate isn't really helping. Yet not one whit of it
penetrated. Not an iota. Fascinating.

stuff snipped

But go ahead, clog vital shipping channels with your box of God knows what
and make more work for some poor, exhausted Salvation Army employee.
They'll have to log it, go through it, sort it, check for expiration

dates
and adulteration and then get it to someone in need of a can of Stormin'
Mormon's surplus stringbeans.

--
Bobby G.

Very thoughtful and on point. If only the intended audience would grab
the excellent advice and run with it.

Thanks. Sadly Stormie's not alone in wanting to help by sending "stuff."
There is, however, a difference between meaning well and doing well.
Sending money enables charitable groups to operate as efficiently as
possible, a critical factor in post-disaster cleanup efforts.

If I woke up and found myself a locksmith in NYS too poor to send a $20
check to the Red Cross, the SA or some other group, I would be looking for
ways to promote my business. I'd start by writing articles for local
newspapers, studying new products I could sell like electronic locks that
key off your cellphone, or some other niche product or service I could
specialize in. I certainly would NOT spend hours, days or weeks of my time
on Usenet complaining how poor I was and how it was someone else's fault. I
especially *wouldn't* consider myself a political or any other kind of
expert if it was so apparent that I wasn't good enough at my chosen
profession to be able to make a living.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking

Only an idiot would find that funny. Why the hell would anyone want
to go to a place like that, in the first place. Pay outrageous prices
for soup from an asshole?

Because everybody goes there, of course.

Nah, nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded.

technomaNge
--
Groucho, I think.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking

You've got a good point of view. Just seemed like the NYC people were
suffering greatly. Of course, they "could" have bought stuff before hand, if
they had chosen to.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Noahbuddy" wrote in message
eb.com...
There is a way to donate stuff.
Give to your local charities. I mean really, does your contribution have
to go to the exact person you want?

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Did any of the troops "get it" and start to pack
in some supplies? Or did the Lawn Guyland types
just transfer their dependance to you?

You were issued these items:

1: Arctic sleeping bag.
2: Tent half. (Canvas tarp)
3: Arctic insulated boots w/pressure release.
4: Folding Shovel.
5: A couple matches.
6: Korean war surplus rations.

You sat through a four hour class that told you what you had to do to
be safe, and to survive three days at under -20F. Even then, some
thought they were smarter than the instructors.

Now that sounds like a challenge! I camped in winter for my first time
last year and failed miserably! We spent one night in -5F temps and
we traveled to our camping spot in in a storm. I could only stay warm
if I kept moving, so I did not sleep at all! I'm going to try it again
this year with the same group. I have a MSS which I'm hoping will keep
me warmer at night. I'm waiting for colder weather now so that I can
test said theory by camping on my porch for a night in cold temps.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking

misanthrope wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:

[...]

You used the tent half to make a lean to, then piled snow over it and
one the open side & on the end facing the wind. The snow was
insulation. You remove your arctic boots and put them inside the arctic
sleeping bag with you, to prevent frostbite the next morning. You zip
the sleeping bag up tight and just leave a big enough opening to
breath. Done properly, it wasn't a cold or that uncomfortable night.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 06 Nov 2012 12:35:20 -0800, Gunner wrote:
On Tue, 06 Nov 2012 11:01:46 -0800, pyotr filipivich wrote:

p.s. I find myself in Costoc, etc, looking at the square jars and
thinking "I want that jar, but I don't like peanut-butter stuffed
pretzels - not that much."

I have the same problem. It would be nice if one could find the maker
of the jars and buy some.

Google PEET or PETE jars at food preservation stores - Honeyville for
one. The problem is they come with plain plastic lids. There is an
extra cost lid that has a seal and claims to be equal to glass canning
jars - but no one in the world has them in stock or seems to be able
to get them.

I mean nobody. I spent a day googling for them since I like the idea
of "meals in a jar" and the plastic is a lot lighter than glass for
stocking a trailer. I found a manufacturer, in China, that will sell
the jars by the 100 thousand lot but they don't have sealing lids
either.

The PETE claims to not transmit oxygen, so the only weak spot is the
lack of an available lid seal.

Be aware, there are also concerns in some quarters about the material
leeching cancerous agents but I'd think that's more of an issue with
wet contents than dry pack.

Also be aware they are at least double the price of glass for a given
volume. Either it's a ripoff at storage stores or the material in
packaged products is not the stuff that blocks oxygen.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking

I spent several minutes on the site, but can't find adress for shipping.

No adress, no ship. Bummer.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Noahbuddy" wrote in message
eb.com...
Found this about donations,

https://www.facebook.com/EmilysHatsForHopeInitiative

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking

On 07 Nov 2012 03:02:33 GMT, Noahbuddy wrote:

I mean really, does your contribution have
to go to the exact person you want?

In Stormin's case, yes. If he can't get their name and address he
doesn't have to give anything and he can still tell himself he had
good intentions.

He also can help out his sick, elderly parents because he is broke,
but he can pay people to mow his lawn and change his tire. And yet, he
calls himself a survivalist. A survivalist that can't change his tire.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 7 Nov 2012 18:51:03 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

I spent several minutes on the site, but can't find adress for shipping.
No adress, no ship. Bummer.

Nice excuse. You do realize what you pay for shipping would buy ten
times as much if it's bought by a charity in the area don't you?

Besides, you posted a day or two ago that your Mormon church is
handing out food to people in need in that area. Do you know how to
donate to your own church ?????
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7 Nov, 19:38, Winston_Smith wrote:
On 07 Nov 2012 03:02:33 GMT, Noahbuddy wrote:

I mean really, does your contribution have
to go to the exact person you want?

In Stormin's case, yes. If he can't get their name and address he
doesn't have to give anything and he can still tell himself he had
good intentions.

He also can help out his sick, elderly parents because he is broke,
but he can pay people to mow his lawn and change his tire. And yet, he
calls himself a survivalist. A survivalist that can't change his tire.

A self-respecting survivalist in his financial situation should be
eating raccoons and squirrels around his trailer rather than SlimFast.
He can make fur coats and hats with those critters. The animal fat can
be used for makeshift oil lamp with a spoon and a wick.