Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Utility repair crews turned back

Because they weren't union.

"...crews from Alabama got the shock of their lives when other workers in a
coastal New Jersey town told them they couldn’t lend a hand without a union
card."

http://dailycaller.com/2012/11/02/ne...#ixzz2B3qPshgA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 2 Nov 2012 05:47:09 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Because they weren't union.

"...crews from Alabama got the shock of their lives when other workers in a
coastal New Jersey town told them they couldn’t lend a hand without a union
card."

http://dailycaller.com/2012/11/02/ne...#ixzz2B3qPshgA

That doesn't surprise me. The follow up that this page reports,
surprises me;
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...w_from_al.html
"The crews from Huntsville and Decatur will instead go to Long Island,
N.Y. to help the power get turned back on there. . ."

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default UPDATE: Utility repair crews turned back

HeyBub wrote:
Because they weren't union.

"...crews from Alabama got the shock of their lives when other
workers in a coastal New Jersey town told them they couldn't lend a
hand without a union card."

http://dailycaller.com/2012/11/02/ne...#ixzz2B3qPshgA

Several subsequent news reports say that the above was incorrect, that help
is not being refused because of lack of union membership.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 2 Nov 2012 15:12:34 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

HeyBub wrote:
Because they weren't union.

"...crews from Alabama got the shock of their lives when other
workers in a coastal New Jersey town told them they couldn't lend a
hand without a union card."

http://dailycaller.com/2012/11/02/ne...#ixzz2B3qPshgA

Several subsequent news reports say that the above was incorrect, that help
is not being refused because of lack of union membership.

NJ Gov. Christie just stated the same thing during a press conference.

His has to power to put a stop to this, if it was happening. He said
as much.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

HeyBub wrote:
Because they weren't union.

"...crews from Alabama got the shock of their lives when other
workers in a coastal New Jersey town told them they couldn't lend a
hand without a union card."

http://dailycaller.com/2012/11/02/ne...#ixzz2B3qPshgA

Several subsequent news reports say that the above was incorrect, that help
is not being refused because of lack of union membership.

NJ Gov. Christie just stated the same thing during a press conference.

What same thing, the report or that the reports were incorrect?

His has to power to put a stop to this, if it was happening. He said
as much.

So was it and did he?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

HeyBub wrote:
Because they weren't union.

"...crews from Alabama got the shock of their lives when other
workers in a coastal New Jersey town told them they couldn't lend a
hand without a union card."

http://dailycaller.com/2012/11/02/ne...#ixzz2B3qPshgA

Several subsequent news reports say that the above was incorrect, that help
is not being refused because of lack of union membership.

NJ Gov. Christie just stated the same thing during a press conference.

What same thing, the report or that the reports were incorrect?

False reports of crews being turned away because union affiliation.

His has to power to put a stop to this, if it was happening. He said
as much.

I hosed that sentence, huh

So was it and did he?

The governor said that under the authority of NJ law (Disaster) he
would use it he needed to impose it. Basically, preventing union
activity in face of an emergency.

His point was that reports were false.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default UPDATE #2: Utility repair crews turned back

HeyBub wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
Because they weren't union.

"...crews from Alabama got the shock of their lives when other
workers in a coastal New Jersey town told them they couldn't lend a
hand without a union card."

http://dailycaller.com/2012/11/02/ne...#ixzz2B3qPshgA

Several subsequent news reports say that the above was incorrect,
that help is not being refused because of lack of union membership.

----
"In a two-page Oct. 29 contract, the International Brotherhood of Electrical
Workers (IBEW) local 1049 demanded union dues, pay hikes and benefit
contributions from Florida electric utilities before its workers would be
permitted to help reconnect power to Long Island communities. The demand
came as Hurricane Sandy was bearing down on the Northeastern United States,
stranding tens of millions without electricity."

http://dailycaller.com/2012/11/03/am...#ixzz2BFbyS3gz

The article goes on to say that the union director subsequently placed a
'phone call withdrawing the demands in the letter.

Senior Member

I don't know if those stories about electrical workers being turned away because of their union status is true or not, but at some point I just gotta say:

You Americans are great neighbors, but it's so often we see you shoot yourselves in the foot because your government is too big and unable to respond to an emergency.

When 9-11 happened, on September 12th there were Canadian SAR teams packed and ready to go at the Vancouver airport with airline tickets they bought themselves for New York to help with the recovery effort at ground zero. They weren't granted permits to enter the US and so they slept at the airport until they were allowed to enter the US. SAR teams from Nova Scotia and New Brunswick beat them to New York by droving down there in their own cars along with their dogs and equipment. If Canadian authorities can approve the landing of every inbound flight destined for the US at a Canadian airport within minutes, why can't US authorities move as quickly in dealing with emergencies? (Winnipeg had dozen's of US and foreign jets landing here because we're the last major airport (except for the airport at Churchill that can handle a large jet, but just barely) before you cross over the North Pole. I still remember the Winnipeg radio stations asking people with empty beds in their homes to come to the airport to pick up stranded passengers who needed a place to stay. I phoned CJOB here in Winnipeg and said I had two empty apartments, but couldn't provide any furniture. They never phoned me back.)

When Katrina flooded New Orleans, the Canadian government had two war ships ready to send to New Orleans with the supplies that would be needed; tents, plywood, bottled water, food, etc. We repeated asked your government what was needed down there, and repeatedly got referred to FEMA, and repeatedly got no repsonse from FEMA. We finally ended up sending the ships with what we thought would be needed, but they only arrived after the US military took control of the situation from FEMA, and it didn't make much news because the US military had the resources to get the situation under control. We left the cargo with the US navy and our ships sailed back to Halifax.

Your government just seems to be too big and cumbersome to deal with emergencies. You need to have a way of waiving the paperwork requirements during emergencies so that your FRIENDS can help out when needed. As it stands now, no one seems to want to exercise the authority to waive those requriements to get things done faster... presumably for fear that lowering your guard is just going to make it easier for your enemies to launch another terrorist attack.

Canadian SARS teams that can name every member of the Monkees, and who can list off your US presidents in order from JFK to now are NOT terrorists. Just doing some ethnic profiling and asking some questions that people born and raised in Canada would know the answers to, but Pakistanis and Arabs wouldn't might be a way of doing that. Like for example, "Who was the now deceased creator of the Muppets?", or "In baseball, what is a southpaw?", or "Why didn't Edward Kennedy ever run for President?" Surely anyone who knows the answers to any of those questions grew up here and is only wanting to help because he has specialized training that is needed in the disaster zone.

You're a great country, but you always create problems for yourselves because your officials are too afraid to take a chance on trusting people who are wanting to help out.

Last edited by nestork : November 4th 12 at 08:38 PM
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 4 Nov 2012 05:09:18 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

HeyBub wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
[...]

BFD. The IBEW wanted the southern guys paid union scale and wanted to
pad their own pension and health funds as usual with the hourly cut.
Who do you think is paying for this?
You don't think these guys are unpaid "volunteers" do you?
Or that the Florida/Ala utilities aren't getting paid?
The Feds will pay for all this work. Taxpayers.
The Florida/Ala utility companies will charge the NY/NJ utilities all
costs- and then some for salaried bonuses.
The NY/NJ utilities will then squeeze the Feds like an orange.
The IBEW wants the juice going to all the workers and their own
pension and health funds. And to union management salaries.
Just good union business practice.
No different than other business, except the money is spread more
evenly.
It didn't work, so the southern guys will be up north working in
dangerous conditions at their southern pay scale.
Hope they work the per diem well.
Besides, it's nearly all bull**** anyway.
http://mediamatters.org/blog/2012/11...-claims/191101

All it takes is one right-wing cracker to start spreading bull****.
On this newsgroup, we have you to fill the role.
You're still doing it with "Turned back" in your subject.
Never happened. And even if it did at some small scale I wouldn't
give a **** anyway, Just an example of human frailty, like yours.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 11/4/2012 8:30 AM, Vic Smith wrote:

BFD. The IBEW wanted the southern guys paid union scale and wanted to
pad their own pension and health funds as usual with the hourly cut.
Who do you think is paying for this?
You don't think these guys are unpaid "volunteers" do you?
Or that the Florida/Ala utilities aren't getting paid?
The Feds will pay for all this work. Taxpayers.
The Florida/Ala utility companies will charge the NY/NJ utilities all
costs- and then some for salaried bonuses.
The NY/NJ utilities will then squeeze the Feds like an orange.

Well, mostly no...

IBEW didn't really care about whether the other guys got paid union
scale or not other than it undermines their scale--all they really
wanted was their cut irrespective of whether it helped accomplish the
needed work or not. Definitely not a "team player" attitude at a time
of need.

And, FEMA does _NOT_ reimburse private, for-profit utilities for
reconstruction--that's limited to nonprofit public and/or co-ops.

Also, it is certainly well within the normal operations that utilities
_do_ provide gratis services to other utilities in such times w/o direct
payback for salaries, etc., on the basis that they'll get return support
when they need it.

Our local co-op in SW KS has sent crews as far as LA and MS and has in
return had them here after some of our massive ice storms. Our
rebuilding costs have been something approaching 80% of total
capitalized value over some 7+ years it has taken to rebuild all of the
damaged areas to original capabilities from a massive ice event in
'03/'04 followed by the massive tornado outbreak in '05. Even as a
nonprofit member-owned co-op, our FEMA repair aid was limited to 75% of
actual costs so it has been a sizable out-of-pocket outlay for a
relatively small utility (not to mention it took years to receive after
the events). No utility gets well financially out of these events...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 04 Nov 2012 09:28:44 -0600, dpb wrote:

Also, it is certainly well within the normal operations that utilities
_do_ provide gratis services to other utilities in such times w/o direct
payback for salaries, etc., on the basis that they'll get return support
when they need it.

I'm talking about Sandy facts only here.
Not your local co-op.
Business is business.

http://www.bizjournals.com/southflor....html?page=all

"The company sent about 300 vehicles to seven different utilities from
Virginia to New Jersey. Crews began leaving from throughout Florida on
Monday. The utilities receiving aid are PEPCO, BG&E, PPL, AEP, First
Energy, PECO and Dominion.
FPL said those utilities pay the cost of such assistance."

Posted to alt.home.repair

Vic Smith wrote:

[...]

Thanks for responding.

There are many flaws in your post, but I'll mention only one: I'm not
spreading "bull****," I'm only your humble reporter. You're free to inspect
the links I provided and draw your own conclusions as to the verity of the
reports, including a photocopy of the letter from the president of the local
IBEW demanding tribute.