Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Repair instructions for APC Back-UPS RS500

I have two APC Back-UPS RS500 units which failed at charging the battery.
It was a capacitor which failed on both of them and I have also found out
that this failure is rather common for this UPS. Here is my description on
how to repair them. If you have a similar problem that the UPS seems to
work OK with a new and charged battery connected, but fails after a short
time (days) with the 'replace battery' light on, then this could help you.

http://www.heime.org/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=17

Stig Vidar Hovland
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Stig Vidar Hovland" wrote in message
I have two APC Back-UPS RS500 units which failed at charging the battery.
It was a capacitor which failed on both of them and I have also found out
that this failure is rather common for this UPS. Here is my description on
how to repair them. If you have a similar problem that the UPS seems to
work OK with a new and charged battery connected, but fails after a short
time (days) with the 'replace battery' light on, then this could help you.

http://www.heime.org/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=17

Stig Vidar Hovland

Sir -

Did you notice any leakage around the capacitor?
In other words, is this another possible "bad capacitor" fault?
http://www.badcaps.net/
http://news.com.com/PCs+plagued+by+b...3-5942647.html
http://cquirke.mvps.org/badcaps.htm
http://www.pcguide.com/vb/showthread.php?t=25482
http://home.earthlink.net/~doniteli/index27.htm
http://searchwincomputing.techtarget...204128,00.html
http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/20...0207018535.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

w9gb

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"w9gb" wrote in
:

Did you notice any leakage around the capacitor?
In other words, is this another possible "bad capacitor" fault?

No leakage. I think the failure happens because of the combination of high
temperature over a long time and low quality of the capacitor.

Stig Vidar Hovland