Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default HELP! what's going wrong here?

In trying to apply paint to a 'sandy' type stucco finish:

Home previously spray painted with what appears to be extremely
watered Dunn Edwards flat Interior/Exterior so bleached by the sun
that there are tones lighter huge spotting, especially around cracking
stucco. [done in 2008]

So surface has essentially been primed. I asked the group and got a
good recommendation for readily available Behr Masonry Stucco paint
from Home Depot. The paint is thick, doesn't separate even days after
shake mixing, and covers with one coat.

I'm doing this myself, dont' want a lot of prep and mess and cleanup,
so deemed to use a brush and just do sections at a time with any
overlaps at corners/junctions, so won't show. I can do the painting in
shade, in evening, so sun won't accelerate drying before curing.

First problem is that it appeared that one gallon did around 80 sq
ft !!! I tried cutting back, but can't even begin to get paint down
into the 'holes' in the stucco. Have taken to poking at the wall with
the bristles of the brush which almost works.

Second problem is that the paint dries faster than I can move on.
Meaning one can get a 'gummy' overlap between small sections as you
move the ladder and scaffolding. Ok, I attributed that to very dry
base surface. When done with this first coat, stood back and looked at
it. Four days later, it still looked like I had used different colored
paint sources, and the surface had a 'blotched' appearance. Looked
like a quilt up on the wall consisting of square little 'islands' for
the different sections I had done as I had moved along.

Ok, first coat was a disaster so let's try it again. This time I added
2 oz of Floetrol to the half gallon of paint I was planning to use
[recommended 4 oz per gallon]. Half gallon should do 80 sq ft on a
second coat, right? WRONG! This time I moved as fast as possible. Set
the ladder start at the top and come down to the stone facade as fast
as possible, then move over and repeat until done. As I worked I
completely filled EVERY hole I could see and verified that the surface
had a nice wet sheen everywhere. This time I was moving so fast that
even the overlaps were successful - they still had their wet sheen
into the previously painted areas.

I can live with using excessive paint [this is NOT color coverage, but
liquid coverage] But I cannot live with the end result: As you stand
and look at the wall you see very obviously well defined 'strips' down
the wall. All the same color, but looks like sheets of wallpaper
overlapping at their edges around 4 inches!

It's been over 24 hours now with time to properly cure and dry and
even the sun has hit the wall now, yet the effect is still there!

I can't paint my house and have these ugly patterns left all over it
when I'm done. What am I doing wrong here?

Again spray paint is not an option [I have a $2,000 airless sprayer in
storage I don't have access to since I own one I'm not allowed to buy
another one]; rollers might be an option but the cleanup after doing
each section will be monumental, plus not sure the roller can get
paint down into all the nooks and crannies anyway. So, a brush is the
most convenient way that I'd like to stay with. So, why has this
turned into a fiasco? Why can't these walls be painted with a brush?
What am I doing wrong here?