Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Comcast offers free Wi-Fi service to all in Sandy's path

I thought this would interest some of my Northern cousins who've had a
hard time due to the bad storm up there. ^_^

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-575...n-sandys-path/

http://tinyurl.com/czapbkd

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 1, 4:49*am, The Daring Dufas the-daring-du...@stinky-
finger.net wrote:
I thought this would interest some of my Northern cousins who've had a
hard time due to the bad storm up there. ^_^

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-575...fers-free-wi-f...

http://tinyurl.com/czapbkd

TDD

Don't you need electricity for Wi-Fi?
Posted to alt.home.repair

finger.net wrote:
I thought this would interest some of my Northern cousins who've had a
hard time due to the bad storm up there. ^_^

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-575...fers-free-wi-f...

http://tinyurl.com/czapbkd

TDD

Don't you need electricity for Wi-Fi?

Of course you do. But just because you don't have electricity at home
does not mean you can't go to a place that does with your laptop or
smart phone.

The article states that not all wi-fi will be operating due to
localized power outages.
Posted to alt.home.repair

finger.net wrote:
I thought this would interest some of my Northern cousins who've had a
hard time due to the bad storm up there. ^_^

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-575...fers-free-wi-f...

http://tinyurl.com/czapbkd

TDD

Don't you need electricity for Wi-Fi?

No Harry, we Yanks are so backward compared to you folks that our
wireless equipment is hand crank or steam powered. One day we will
obtain the technology from you advanced Europeans to build a primitive
electrical grid and enter the world of magical futuristic machines
that make life so much easier. We're so far behind you in regards to
science and technology that I may not see it in my lifetime. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

finger.net wrote:
I thought this would interest some of my Northern cousins who've had a
hard time due to the bad storm up there. ^_^

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-575...fers-free-wi-f...

http://tinyurl.com/czapbkd

TDD

Don't you need electricity for Wi-Fi?

Some of dose new fangled thingamabobs have something in them that holds
a charge so dat the thingy works. I think dey call it a 'bat tree' or
sumpin like dat.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair

finger.net wrote:
I thought this would interest some of my Northern cousins who've had a
hard time due to the bad storm up there. ^_^

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-575...fers-free-wi-f...

http://tinyurl.com/czapbkd

TDD

Don't you need electricity for Wi-Fi?

Some of dose new fangled thingamabobs have something in them that holds
a charge so dat the thingy works. I think dey call it a 'bat tree' or
sumpin like dat.

There was a good bit on the news this morning. One of those 'jaded,
hardnosed, selfish' New Yorkers who had power in Manhattan set up a
couple picnic tables on the postage stamp lawn- ran some extension
cords out- and put up a sign 'free phone charging and wi-fi' [or words
to that effect.] There were a dozen or so folks hanging out there-
and twice that many devices plugged into the spider web of cords and
splitters getting charged up.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

Years ago, an ad mentioned "needs no electricity,
runs on batteries". I guess it eats, digests, and
poops batteries, then?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"willshak" wrote in message

Don't you need electricity for Wi-Fi?

Some of dose new fangled thingamabobs have something in them that holds
a charge so dat the thingy works. I think dey call it a 'bat tree' or
sumpin like dat.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

Posted to alt.home.repair

Free? Not charging five bucks an hour for electric time?

I've seen people plug in phones, at McDonalds and such.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message

There was a good bit on the news this morning. One of those 'jaded,
hardnosed, selfish' New Yorkers who had power in Manhattan set up a
couple picnic tables on the postage stamp lawn- ran some extension
cords out- and put up a sign 'free phone charging and wi-fi' [or words
to that effect.] There were a dozen or so folks hanging out there-
and twice that many devices plugged into the spider web of cords and
splitters getting charged up.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

finger.net wrote:
I thought this would interest some of my Northern cousins who've had a
hard time due to the bad storm up there. ^_^

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-575...fers-free-wi-f...

http://tinyurl.com/czapbkd

TDD

}Don't you need electricity for Wi-Fi?

If the issue is for the ISP side most cable systems have back up (think gen
and battery).

As for the user side. I can charge from my car, charge from a solar
battery, charge from a hand gen (lots of work), charge from a (small) wind
generator, charge from a thermal couple (not very efferent but doable) and
charge from alkaline battery.

Some of locations ( coffee shops and resturnats) have gen sets and don't
mind if you change/use your laptop and or phone regardless if you buy or
not.