Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Default grinders bite

A few days ago, I bought the first sanding disc for my high rpm Makita 4"
grinder that I had bought in ten years. Just don't do that much fine finish
work.

I have done hundreds of hours of using a grinder. I know the kick spots.
But I had it grinding in the 9 o/clock position of the wheel and KICK! Went
flying, and sliced the top of my left hand. Nice 2.5 inch incision, half
deep, half just along the fat line, and not down into the meat. Nice little
white things in there looking like cotton line, but didn't cut any. Lots of
flowing blood, as I am on coumadin.

Wrapped a compressed bandage on it from my huge first aid kit, and went and
got nine stitches.

Came home and continued working.

Same damn thing happens again, only this time, I have hold of the grinder
near the back end, and not choked up, as the first time. I had thought of
this during the time I was getting all poked with Novocain and sutures.
Grinder went flying through the air, missing everything except the
workpiece, table, and floor. Contacted no organic material that time.
Still caused by the 9 o'clock point of contact. Think I learned something,
even if it is to use air to finish sand instead of 14k rpm grinders.

Crap, that would have been a difficult thing to explain to SWMBO.

Anyway, watch the kick points on your grinding and sanding blades.

Damn, those things happen in a hurry.

Doctor said that if he had to draw a line on the back of my hand for
surgery, it would be right along where I had opened it up. Missed
everything but skin, fat, and a little meat. Probably feel better when it
quits hurting, too. Stitches for ten days, that's the aggravating part.

It's always something.

Steve

Don't let the Bed Bugs bite Oren[_2_] Home Repair 0 September 6th 10 10:35 PM
Don't do something right and 44 years later, it will bite you. mm Home Repair 8 June 5th 09 07:47 PM
Mice that wouldn't take the bite R Kannan Home Ownership 9 June 4th 07 07:44 AM
Third Bite of Beech George Woodturning 3 January 28th 06 08:41 PM
Don't Let The Bedbugs Bite Too_Many_Tools Metalworking 4 December 4th 05 05:41 AM