Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Mice that wouldn't take the bite

Hi,

We have a mouse (mice?) inhabiting our house that will not take cheese as a
bait in traps. We have seven traps all over the house We have tried
American and Pepperjack but nothing seems to be working.

Any suggestions?
Posted to misc.consumers.house

"R Kannan" wrote in message
t...

We have a mouse (mice?) inhabiting our house that will not take cheese as
bait in traps. We have seven traps all over the house We have tried
American and Pepperjack but nothing seems to be working.

Any suggestions?

Peanut butter or chocolate.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Thu, 31 May 2007 00:59:34 GMT from Andrew Koenig :
"R Kannan" wrote in message
t...

We have a mouse (mice?) inhabiting our house that will not take
cheese as a bait in traps. We have seven traps all over the house
We have tried American and Pepperjack but nothing seems to be
working.

Any suggestions?

Peanut butter or chocolate.

My exterminator suggested *melted* chocolate -- allow it to solidify
before setting out the trap.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
Posted to misc.consumers.house

In article , R Kannan wrote:
Hi,

We have a mouse (mice?) inhabiting our house that will not take cheese as a
bait in traps. We have seven traps all over the house We have tried
American and Pepperjack but nothing seems to be working.

Any suggestions?

Raisins. Get a good, fresh, soft, plump raisin and "smush" it down hard onto
the bait pan. Really crush it on there, enough to break it open, and also
enough that the mouse can't tug it off.

Peanut butter is a hit-or-miss proposition -- mice can lick that off of a trap
without springing it. Raisins work almost every time.

--
Regards,

Posted to misc.consumers.house

On May 30, 8:50 pm, R Kannan wrote:
Hi,

We have a mouse (mice?) inhabiting our house that will not take cheese as a
bait in traps. We have seven traps all over the house We have tried
American and Pepperjack but nothing seems to be working.

Any suggestions?

Mice can be extremely difficult to get under control.
They prefer seeds and grain over dairy products. Though they will eat
nearly anything.
Baiting traps with various types of food may get better results.
What are they eating inside of the house? That would be a choice for
baits.
Another type of bait isn't food at all, Mice use items found in their
travels to build nests.String,cotton balls, thread, pet hair or human
hair is an example of things they scavenge for. If they have a ready
supply of food then they may not take to any food placed as bait.
Experiment with different items. It is also advised to place traps
UNSET with items on them at first. Let them get used to the traps and
begin to see them as a common household item. If a trap goes off
without catching them, they may avoid the traps in the future. Thus
mix up the area with glue boards. I have seen many mice caught on glue
boards they tend to not be as shy with them compared to snap
traps.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Thu, 31 May 2007 12:43:45 GMT from Doug Miller :
Peanut butter is a hit-or-miss proposition -- mice can lick that
off of a trap without springing it.

Such was my experience.

But really, setting traps is a waste of time until you find how mice
are getting into the house and plug the holes.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
Posted to misc.consumers.house

In article , Stan Brown wrote:
Thu, 31 May 2007 12:43:45 GMT from Doug Miller :
Peanut butter is a hit-or-miss proposition -- mice can lick that
off of a trap without springing it.

Such was my experience.

But really, setting traps is a waste of time until you find how mice
are getting into the house and plug the holes.

Nonsense. It might take quite a while to locate and plug the holes. Allowing
the mice to roam freely throughout the house while you're doing so is just
stupid. Moreover, the only way of knowing that you've actually located the
entry point(s) is by observing a decline in the population, as the traps
extinguish residents that are no longer replaced by immigrants.

The proper way to deal with a mouse infestation is to set traps first, then go
looking for the entry points and plug them. Continue rebaiting and resetting
any trap that was tripped until at least a couple of weeks pass with no traps
tripped anywhere.

--
Regards,

Posted to misc.consumers.house

"Stan Brown" wrote in message
t...
Thu, 31 May 2007 12:43:45 GMT from Doug Miller :
Peanut butter is a hit-or-miss proposition -- mice can lick that
off of a trap without springing it.

Such was my experience.

But really, setting traps is a waste of time until you find how mice
are getting into the house and plug the holes.

Sigh. Yeah, I know. But unfortunately, to plug the likely spot their entry
hole is, I'm gonna have to tear down the deck......

aem sends....

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Robobug in
oups.com:

[...]

mice are dumb. rats are smart. mice will continue to go for bait in snap traps. rats
won't. rats prefer to eat food (indoors or outdoors) that they've found outdoors.

i've seen both escape glue traps much more often than detained by glue traps.

best method is to use all methods simultaneously. cleanup indoors and outdoors, find
the entry points (roof jacks, poor construction, etc) AGAIN (and again), set snaptraps
with various baits (best to location where the trap is an attractive rare shelter along
rats' route), leave poison in secure locations.

per usual recomm, i'd avoid the poisons if can "borrow" a psychokiller cat (which
like most republicans, will kill a lot of birds before catching any rats), but i've never
tried the psychocat method.

Help! We have mice tessa Home Repair 37 November 2nd 06 03:05 PM
Mice! Mike Dobony Home Repair 17 August 8th 06 11:30 AM
Third Bite of Beech George Woodturning 3 January 28th 06 08:41 PM
Don't Let The Bedbugs Bite Too_Many_Tools Metalworking 4 December 4th 05 05:41 AM
Roo Glue does NOT dry sufficiently in 90 minutes...and my negligenceearlier didn't bite me David Woodworking 3 January 7th 05 05:01 PM