Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Mice!

I have a shed that the mice have decided to use as their restroom (renters
left the door open, using it as a dog house and left the dog food in there
also). I did a thorough cleaning with hospital grade disinfectant and have
sprayed lemon scented bleach over the area, but they are still returning.
Any ideas on how to get them to stop using the shed? Thanks.

Mike D.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mike Dobony" wrote in message
I have a shed that the mice have decided to use as their restroom (renters
left the door open, using it as a dog house and left the dog food in there
also). I did a thorough cleaning with hospital grade disinfectant and
have
sprayed lemon scented bleach over the area, but they are still returning.
Any ideas on how to get them to stop using the shed? Thanks.

I would be happy just to keep them out of my silverware drawer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mike Dobony" wrote in message
I have a shed that the mice have decided to use as their restroom (renters
left the door open, using it as a dog house and left the dog food in there
also). I did a thorough cleaning with hospital grade disinfectant and
have
sprayed lemon scented bleach over the area, but they are still returning.
Any ideas on how to get them to stop using the shed? Thanks.

Mike D.

Mice are pretty well creatures of habit and they also tend to **** where
they eat - so getting rid of any food comes to mind, but also breaking their
habit will have to happen. Get a trap and you'll get mouse after mouse
after mouse until they stop going there. Use peanut butter on the trap -
mice like that more than cheese. Actually, with mice you don't even need
bait, they are so habitual creatures that they'll run right over the trap so
long as its in their path.

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.uky.edu/Ag/Entomology/ent...ruct/ef617.htm

--
Have a Great Week !

Check Winter Haven's Current Weather
http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/...er+Haven+33881
"Mike Dobony" wrote in message
I have a shed that the mice have decided to use as their restroom (renters
left the door open, using it as a dog house and left the dog food in there
also). I did a thorough cleaning with hospital grade disinfectant and

have
sprayed lemon scented bleach over the area, but they are still returning.
Any ideas on how to get them to stop using the shed? Thanks.

Mike D.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..

"Mike Dobony" wrote in message
I have a shed that the mice have decided to use as their restroom

(renters
left the door open, using it as a dog house and left the dog food in

there
also). I did a thorough cleaning with hospital grade disinfectant and
have
sprayed lemon scented bleach over the area, but they are still

returning.
Any ideas on how to get them to stop using the shed? Thanks.

Mike D.

Mice are pretty well creatures of habit and they also tend to **** where
they eat - so getting rid of any food comes to mind, but also breaking

their
habit will have to happen.

The food is all gone, along with the renters. Unfortunately, the house is
also a bit of a drive from where we live and I can only get there 1-2 days a
week. I need to find something they will avoid.

Get a trap and you'll get mouse after mouse
after mouse until they stop going there. Use peanut butter on the trap -
mice like that more than cheese. Actually, with mice you don't even need
bait, they are so habitual creatures that they'll run right over the trap

so
long as its in their path.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike Dobony wrote:
I have a shed that the mice have decided to use as their restroom
(renters left the door open, using it as a dog house and left the dog
food in there also). I did a thorough cleaning with hospital grade
disinfectant and have sprayed lemon scented bleach over the area, but
they are still returning. Any ideas on how to get them to stop using
the shed? Thanks.

Mike D.

Think cat. You can even borrow one.

It's oodles of fun for the cat and satisfaction for you.*

----
*Born on April 21 1963, Towser lived at Glenturret Distillery for almost 24
years and caught a total of 28,899 mice (pity the person who kept score!)
plus an uncounted number of rats, rabbits and pheasants in her life. Her
tally of mice earned her a place in the Guinness Book of Records as the
World Mouse-catching Champion. She had many fans around the world who sent
her caviar, smoked salmon and other goodies; she also did a lot of TV work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike Dobony wrote:
I have a shed that the mice have decided to use as their restroom (renters
left the door open, using it as a dog house and left the dog food in there
also). I did a thorough cleaning with hospital grade disinfectant and have
sprayed lemon scented bleach over the area, but they are still returning.
Any ideas on how to get them to stop using the shed? Thanks.

Mike D.

Buy a "rat Zapper" you can get them on ebay. I got the larger on and
I'm glad I did. It works great for killing them and there is no mess.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Rod Dahl" wrote in message
Get a cat!

Okay, how do I keep the cat at the house? I am only there 1-2 days a week!

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 5 Aug 2006 19:28:45 -0500, "Mike Dobony"
wrote:

[...]

Then Put out lots of traps and glue traps and various kinds of traps
and poison. When I had mice, I caught so many on the second floor
that they stayed away from the second floor and wouldn't go above the
first.

I poisoned mice, and since my house is suprisingly dry, they just
dried up afaict, counting the two I found, and I don't think any
rotted or rotted in walls. Others say it's risky to use posion
because they'll die in the walls. But if you only have a shed, your
walls don't have an inside.

Use lots of poison and traps, placed where they go. Even in your shed
they probably stay around the edges, or whereever you find the
droppings.

Get a trap and you'll get mouse after mouse
after mouse until they stop going there. Use peanut butter on the trap -
mice like that more than cheese. Actually, with mice you don't even need
bait, they are so habitual creatures that they'll run right over the trap

so
long as its in their path.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike Dobony wrote:

"Rod Dahl" wrote in message
Get a cat!

Okay, how do I keep the cat at the house? I am only there 1-2 days a week!

Cats are a lot more "mature" and self sufficient than dogs. If they have
a good source of water some food and some mice to kill they are
generally happy with intermittent human attention.

Pete C.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 5 Aug 2006 16:28:32 -0500, "Mike Dobony"
wrote:

I have a shed that the mice have decided to use as their restroom (renters
left the door open, using it as a dog house and left the dog food in there
also). I did a thorough cleaning with hospital grade disinfectant and have
sprayed lemon scented bleach over the area, but they are still returning.
Any ideas on how to get them to stop using the shed? Thanks.

Mike D.

MEOW MEOW MEOW......
And cats are really great pets too...

Then clean as you stated or use bleach.
Also plug all entry holes with tin or concrete.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mothballs, a bucket of amonia,

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a shed that the mice have decided to use as their restroom

(renters
left the door open, using it as a dog house and left the dog food in

there
also). I did a thorough cleaning with hospital grade disinfectant and

have
sprayed lemon scented bleach over the area, but they are still returning.
Any ideas on how to get them to stop using the shed? Thanks.

Mike D.

MEOW MEOW MEOW......
And cats are really great pets too...

Then clean as you stated or use bleach.
Also plug all entry holes with tin or concrete.

Then the new owners can't get into the shed! The only entrance is a rollup
door. The surface is not straight, but waved.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I would be happy just to keep them out of my silverware drawer.

I leave my Log Cabin shut down over the Winter in Vermont. Always had a
few mice droppings in drawers etc. I heard that laying sheets of
"Bounce" fabric softener( as used in a dryer) would repel them. Tried
it over last Winter and it was very effective!

I also used them inside my boat in the barn, and for once had no mouse
droppings...

They are clean and leave no residue like sprays.

I DID have some mouse poison in selected areas in the cellar, so I
expect the overall population was lessened, but in past years there
were always some droppings even with the 'mouse food'...

This year I'll remember to put some in the truck!

Regards, Terry King ...On The Mediterranean in Carthage
(Back ...In The Woods In Vermont for the Summer)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike Dobony wrote:
"Rod Dahl" wrote in message
Get a cat!

Okay, how do I keep the cat at the house? I am only there 1-2 days a
week!

Close the door?

Seriously, though:

Get a feeder that'll hold a week's supply of dry cat food.

Put this feeder atop something a mouse can't climb (an up-ended wash tub)
but that the cat can easily reach with a modest hop, Most cats can jump at
least five feet, higher if they get a running start.

Water should be no problem.

I thought you said this was in a shed? If the cat needs to be confined to
the house, you'll need a litter box too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Rod Dahl" wrote in message
Get a cat!

Get a "Tin Cat" made by Victor. A metal trap that captures mice live. No
messy decapitation or crushing. You do need to empty it every three days or
so or they will die in there and start to decay. About $15 US.

Google tin cat.

Perfect for any type of mouser. If you want them dead, throw the trap into
a bucket of water. If your are a tree hugging Liberal, take them to a
neighborhood that needs mice and let them go free.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"m Ransley" wrote in message
Mothballs, a bucket of amonia,

Are you saying to put mothballs in a bucket of amonia?

mice and plastic pipes THOMAS PATTON UK diy 14 August 3rd 06 05:46 PM
mice brianlanning Woodworking 42 February 5th 06 09:42 PM
Mice in Attic Noise Help [email protected] Home Ownership 4 December 10th 04 01:37 AM
Stucco Gaps and Mice Henry Home Repair 4 September 2nd 04 04:29 AM
Mice, Questions about D-Con and Traps McCoysWink Home Repair 3 October 27th 03 01:18 PM