Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electrical service beside bathroom

I had my house built about 15 years ago. I have a half bath behind my
laundry room. Anyway It has a shoer and sink. I am debating redoing it
ab putting a bathtub in it and toilet and sink.

My question is, on the other side of the prefab shower wall is the
service entrance to my house in the garage. This passed code but is
this a good idea?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 29 Oct 2012 10:30:40 -0700 (PDT), stryped
wrote:

I had my house built about 15 years ago. I have a half bath behind my
laundry room. Anyway It has a shoer and sink. I am debating redoing it
ab putting a bathtub in it and toilet and sink.

My question is, on the other side of the prefab shower wall is the
service entrance to my house in the garage. This passed code but is
this a good idea?

As long as there is a wall between, why not? The main panel is not
going to fall in the tub is it?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 29, 12:30*pm, stryped wrote:
I had my house built about 15 years ago. I have a half bath behind my
laundry room. Anyway It has a shoer and sink. I am debating redoing it
ab putting a bathtub in it and toilet and sink.

My question is, on the other side of the prefab shower wall is the
service entrance to my house in the garage. This passed code but is
this a good idea?

Is there a finished wall behind the shower wall, or is it just
covering open studs. In either case you will have to cover the wall
with sheetrock before installing a tub

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
There is a wall and it is sheet rocked. It just seems odd having 200 amp
service on the other side of my shower.

On Monday, October 29, 2012 12:30:40 PM UTC-5, stryped wrote:
I had my house built about 15 years ago. I have a half bath behind my

laundry room. Anyway It has a shoer and sink. I am debating redoing it

ab putting a bathtub in it and toilet and sink.

My question is, on the other side of the prefab shower wall is the

service entrance to my house in the garage. This passed code but is

this a good idea?

Why? Are you more apt to reach through the shower wall than some other wall
in the house?

P.S. Please don't top post in this group. Standard etiquette is to bottom
post. Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/29/2012 1:30 PM, stryped wrote:
I had my house built about 15 years ago. I have a half bath behind my
laundry room. Anyway It has a shoer and sink. I am debating redoing it
ab putting a bathtub in it and toilet and sink.

My question is, on the other side of the prefab shower wall is the
service entrance to my house in the garage. This passed code but is
this a good idea?

There's alot of bathrooms that have one electrical wire behind the
shower wall or two, if there are multiple bedrooms or three way switches.

Plenty of hot tubs or jacuzzis with live electrical connection to the
tub while you shower.

As long as the wall is finished and your plumbing doesn't throw a leak
upwards towards the panel you are fine.

What has you worried?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, October 29, 2012 12:30:40 PM UTC-5, stryped wrote:
I had my house built about 15 years ago. I have a half bath behind my

laundry room. Anyway It has a shoer and sink. I am debating redoing it

ab putting a bathtub in it and toilet and sink.

My question is, on the other side of the prefab shower wall is the

service entrance to my house in the garage. This passed code but is

this a good idea?

Well, this is the thing. Very small half bath behind laundry room. It is a pre made small shower and mop sink. Because of my growing family. I would like to put a tub/shower in here add a regular sink and toilet. I am trying to figure out if I put a tub/shower in how to configure it without having to run a water line up the same wall the service for the electrical is on the other side of.

Not to change the subject, but I know my shower has one drain. If I put a tub in I will have a drain and an overflow drain. Can these both be in the same line? I am trying to figure out if all this can be done without ripping apart the walls. I have acess beneath the floor in the crawl space. I really dont want to start tearing out drywall.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 30, 9:54*am, wrote:
[...]

Here is just one of a gazillion images of a typical tub drain set up.
The overflow is to prevent the water from overflowing the edges of the
tub if the main tub drain is left closed and unattended. You'll note
that they merge into a single pipe at the bottom.

http://www.fixitips.com/images-2/Spr...-tub-drain.jpg

Granted, if the main drain gets clogged, even the overflow won't help,
but I have never seen the overflow drain connected to a "secondary
drain system". Think about it..how far back would you run the
secondary drain system to prevent a primary drain clog from being a
problem? You'd have to run it all the way to the sewer.

As for your original question, I don't understand why you are so
concerned with water pipes running inside the wall near the electrical
service.

Do you not think that there are water pipes and electrical wires near
each other inside the walls of your house?

Oh my gosh, look at this! Electrical wires, drain pipes and water
pipes all in the same space.

http://www.single-family-home-remode...osal-large.jpg

What exactly has you concerned about putting a water pipe on the other
side of the wall that holds your electrical service?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, October 29, 2012 12:30:40 PM UTC-5, stryped wrote:
I had my house built about 15 years ago. I have a half bath behind my

laundry room. Anyway It has a shoer and sink. I am debating redoing it

ab putting a bathtub in it and toilet and sink.

My question is, on the other side of the prefab shower wall is the

service entrance to my house in the garage. This passed code but is

this a good idea?

I guess it is worry for nothing. But it is the 200 amp main wires going to the main panel. (Obviously no breaker to trip in that scenario). It is actually the main wires from the meter to the main electric panel.