Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dropped screws down drain

First time I've done this.

In the laundry room.
A box of tons of screws fell down into the sink below.
Several ended up right at the drain.
I was able to get out most of them delicately, but a few dropped down
into the drain (plastic pipes).

Any tips on how to remove them now?
I'm thinking possibly coat wire with magnet attached?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 25, 2:49*pm, Hot ICQ wrote:
First time I've done this.

In the laundry room.
A box of tons of screws fell down into the sink below.
Several ended up right at the drain.
I was able to get out most of them delicately, but a few dropped down
into the drain (plastic pipes).

Any tips on how to remove them now?
I'm thinking possibly coat wire with magnet attached?

magnet on a flexible thingie, can buy them most hardware stores

don't run water, though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Hot ICQ" wrote in message
First time I've done this.

In the laundry room.
A box of tons of screws fell down into the sink below.
Several ended up right at the drain.
I was able to get out most of them delicately, but a few dropped down
into the drain (plastic pipes).

Any tips on how to remove them now?
I'm thinking possibly coat wire with magnet attached?

Big enough magnet and you can 'walk' the screws back out of the drain. The
real question are these screw mission critical or can you do without them.
if the latter, run the water and don't be concerned.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Take the drain apart?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Hot ICQ" wrote in message
First time I've done this.

In the laundry room.
A box of tons of screws fell down into the sink below.
Several ended up right at the drain.
I was able to get out most of them delicately, but a few dropped down
into the drain (plastic pipes).

Any tips on how to remove them now?
I'm thinking possibly coat wire with magnet attached?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hot ICQ wrote:
First time I've done this.

In the laundry room.
A box of tons of screws fell down into the sink below.
Several ended up right at the drain.
I was able to get out most of them delicately, but a few
dropped down
into the drain (plastic pipes).

Any tips on how to remove them now?
I'm thinking possibly coat wire with magnet attached?

if you haven't run any water, just remove the p-trap and
empty out the screws

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 25, 6:00*pm, Robert Macy wrote:

magnet on a flexible thingie, can buy them most hardware stores

don't run water, though.

Thanks, I'll check the stores for a flexible thingie.
I won't run any water until I sort this out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 25, 6:25*pm, "NotMe" wrote:

Big enough magnet and you can 'walk' the screws back out of the drain. *The
real question are these screw mission critical or can you do without them..
if the latter, run the water and don't be concerned.

The screws aren't critical at all.
The problem though is that my house drains its water from a septic
tank to a septic bed that is up hill and requires a pump to get the
water there.
Screws and such could 'screw up' the pump!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 25, 6:48*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Take the drain apart?

I'd do that right away if it were easy, but from what I can see, all
the joints seemed to be sealed tight (glue?).
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Take the drain apart?

I'd do that right away if it were easy, but from what I can see, all
the joints seemed to be sealed tight (glue?).

If there isn't an easily accessible trap of some sort there already,
now is a good time to spend 30 minutes putting one in.

It will be nice to have when your 10 carat diamond falls into the
sink.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/25/2012 06:44 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
In the laundry room.
A box of tons of screws fell down into the sink below.
Several ended up right at the drain.
I was able to get out most of them delicately, but a few dropped down
into the drain (plastic pipes).

Any tips on how to remove them now?
I'm thinking possibly coat wire with magnet attached?

Just take the drain trap apart

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 25 Oct 2012 14:49:30 -0700 (PDT), Hot ICQ
wrote:

First time I've done this.

In the laundry room.
A box of tons of screws fell down into the sink below.
Several ended up right at the drain.
I was able to get out most of them delicately, but a few dropped down
into the drain (plastic pipes).

Any tips on how to remove them now?
I'm thinking possibly coat wire with magnet attached?

Toss several sticks of dynamite in the sink. Light them, and run like
hell.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Hot ICQ" wrote in message
On Oct 25, 6:25 pm, "NotMe" wrote:

Big enough magnet and you can 'walk' the screws back out of the drain. The
real question are these screw mission critical or can you do without them.
if the latter, run the water and don't be concerned.

The screws aren't critical at all.
The problem though is that my house drains its water from a septic
tank to a septic bed that is up hill and requires a pump to get the
water there.
Screws and such could 'screw up' the pump!

{{

First put some decent magnets is a small cloth bag (tobacco pouch of the old
days comes to mind) and lower that down the drain line.

If you can reach the line further down put some magnets at a low point to
arrest the progression to the pump. Does the pump have a disconnect and a
screen to block such accidents?

If so a temporary 'p' trap with magentas might help.

My grandparent's place in the country had a grease trap in line that was
great at catching all sorts of stuff we kids managed to pass down the
kitchen drain. Anything that went down the toilet was gone gone gone.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 25 Oct 2012 15:00:47 -0700 (PDT), Robert Macy
wrote:

On Oct 25, 2:49Â*pm, Hot ICQ wrote:
First time I've done this.

In the laundry room.
A box of tons of screws fell down into the sink below.
Several ended up right at the drain.
I was able to get out most of them delicately, but a few dropped down
into the drain (plastic pipes).

Any tips on how to remove them now?
I'm thinking possibly coat wire with magnet attached?

magnet on a flexible thingie, can buy them most hardware stores

don't run water, though.

Undo the trap and dump them out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd be thinking to take the trap apart. No sense missing one, if the magnet
flexes in the wrong direction.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Hot ICQ" wrote in message news:b29c7ea9-6460-422f-96cd-

The screws aren't critical at all.
The problem though is that my house drains its water from a septic
tank to a septic bed that is up hill and requires a pump to get the
water there.
Screws and such could 'screw up' the pump!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Chris eats words

Pour conc. muriatic acid in the drain, wait 24 hours. turn the screws to
ferric chloride?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote:

Take the drain apart?

I'd do that right away if it were easy, but from what I can see, all
the joints seemed to be sealed tight (glue?).

Posted to alt.home.repair

Best Buggs Bunny voice
Carats are divine, and it's a miracle that they're mine.

You can hacksaw a PVC drain, and put it together with Fernco connectors.
Easier done than said.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message

If there isn't an easily accessible trap of some sort there already,
now is a good time to spend 30 minutes putting one in.

It will be nice to have when your 10 carat diamond falls into the
sink.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 25, 10:11*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

I'd be thinking to take the trap apart. No sense missing one, if the magnet
flexes in the wrong direction.

Thanks Stormin'.

It looks like I'm all set to rock an' roll tomorrow.

I didn't notice that there was a square knob that allows access to the
p-trap further down.

I was able to open it up, rather easily just now.
The p-trap (bottom) is about a foot away from this opening.
But it's angled down in a devious way, so I'll still need use the
magnet trick to get those buggers out.

I'll send a fishing report sometime tomorrow.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The nice thing about PVC. It cuts fairly easily with hacksaw, or Sawzall,
and you can put it back together with Fernco couplers. Low pressure drain,
even easier to patch.

I hope you get all the screws, easily. And your sewage ejector is saved.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Hot ICQ" wrote in message

Thanks Stormin'.

It looks like I'm all set to rock an' roll tomorrow.

I didn't notice that there was a square knob that allows access to the
p-trap further down.

I was able to open it up, rather easily just now.
The p-trap (bottom) is about a foot away from this opening.
But it's angled down in a devious way, so I'll still need use the
magnet trick to get those buggers out.

I'll send a fishing report sometime tomorrow.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 26, 7:47*am, "Stormin Mormon"

The nice thing about PVC. It cuts fairly easily with hacksaw, or Sawzall,
and you can put it back together with Fernco couplers. Low pressure drain,
even easier to patch.

I hope you get all the screws, easily. And your sewage ejector is saved.

Christopher A. Young

Thanks Chris.

I just got back from a successful fishing expedition.
I bought a pack of pipe cleaners and some magnets.

I put some magnets in a small plastic pouch and hooked a couple of
pipe cleaners to the bag.

I tried going in through the opening near the p-trap, but the bag was
snagging in the pipes. So I tried going straight down the drain in the
sink.
That worked.

There was some water at the trap, which was to be expected.
First catch, three screws.
Second catch, two screws.
Third catch, one heavier screw.
Fourth catch, a nut!

I had estimated about 4-6 screws falling down, so I think I got em'
all.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm very pleased, for you. And thank you for
sharing the good news.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Hot ICQ" wrote in message news:220bb873-c456-4ddf-9fb1-

Thanks Chris.

I just got back from a successful fishing expedition.
I bought a pack of pipe cleaners and some magnets.

I put some magnets in a small plastic pouch and hooked a couple of
pipe cleaners to the bag.

I tried going in through the opening near the p-trap, but the bag was
snagging in the pipes. So I tried going straight down the drain in the
sink.
That worked.

There was some water at the trap, which was to be expected.
First catch, three screws.
Second catch, two screws.
Third catch, one heavier screw.
Fourth catch, a nut!

I had estimated about 4-6 screws falling down, so I think I got em'
all.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
Hot ICQ typed:
First time I've done this.

In the laundry room.
A box of tons of screws fell down into the sink below.
Several ended up right at the drain.
I was able to get out most of them delicately, but a few
dropped down into the drain (plastic pipes).

Any tips on how to remove them now?
I'm thinking possibly coat wire with magnet attached?

Disassemble the trap; a very simple job, and dump the hardware out. You're
making mountains out of mole hills here.

Posted to alt.home.repair

You tuned in late?

All done!

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Twayne" wrote in message
In ,
Hot ICQ typed:
First time I've done this.

In the laundry room.
A box of tons of screws fell down into the sink below.
Several ended up right at the drain.
I was able to get out most of them delicately, but a few
dropped down into the drain (plastic pipes).

Any tips on how to remove them now?
I'm thinking possibly coat wire with magnet attached?

Disassemble the trap; a very simple job, and dump the hardware out. You're
making mountains out of mole hills here.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Very, VERY lucky that the screws have some iron
(attracted to magnets) in them!

David

Senior Member

I would also be reluctant to disassemble the p-trap. Even though you can get away with it most of the time, it's been my experience that the rest of the time the p-trap will leak at the union fitting after having been disassembled.

If that ever happens to anyone again, have your carpets shampoo'ed.

And, while the guy is there cleaning your carpet, ask him to use his carpet extractor to suck out the contents of that p-trap.

The vaccuum motors used in carpet cleaning machines are much more powerful than those used in ordinary vaccuum cleaners. I expect that a strong wind up the drain pipe would carry even steel screw up and out of the drain.

Or, at least, I'd try using a powerful vacuum before I took the p-trap apart.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 16 Dec 2012 03:05:39 +0000, nestork
wrote:

I would also be reluctant to disassemble the p-trap. Even though you
can get away with it most of the time, it's been my experience that the
rest of the time the p-trap will leak at the union fitting after having
been disassembled.

Nothing that a dollars worth of new gaskets cant fix.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
nestork wrote:

I would also be reluctant to disassemble the p-trap. Even though you
can get away with it most of the time, it's been my experience that the
rest of the time the p-trap will leak at the union fitting after having
been disassembled.

If that ever happens to anyone again, have your carpets shampoo'ed.

And, while the guy is there cleaning your carpet, ask him to use his
carpet extractor to suck out the contents of that p-trap.

The vaccuum motors used in carpet cleaning machines are much more
powerful than those used in ordinary vaccuum cleaners. I expect that a
strong wind up the drain pipe would carry even steel screw up and out of
the drain.

Or, at least, I'd try using a powerful vacuum before I took the p-trap
apart.

I always thought these were a good idea. Not sure that the whole thing
needs to be clear, but the clear removable ring-catcher is cool.

http://www.amresupply.com/part/PS616...CLEAR-CLEANOUT
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd expect that to pump a lot of stinky sewer gas into the room. Then,
you'd have to go out to the carpet van, and have them drain the 200 gallon
waste tank so you can try and disassemble the tank to get your screws back.

Paraphrasing Trevye, "I think you better think it out, again."

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

--
nestork

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message

I always thought these were a good idea. Not sure that the whole thing
needs to be clear, but the clear removable ring-catcher is cool.

http://www.amresupply.com/part/PS616...CLEAR-CLEANOUT

They're great, I put some in at the cabin
It makes winterizing so much faster

Posted to alt.home.repair

.

"nestork" wrote in message

I would also be reluctant to disassemble the p-trap. *Even though you
can get away with it most of the time, it's been my experience that the
rest of the time the p-trap will leak at the union fitting after having
been disassembled.

If that ever happens to anyone again, have your carpets shampoo'ed.

And, while the guy is there cleaning your carpet, ask him to use his
carpet extractor to suck out the contents of that p-trap.

The vaccuum motors used in carpet cleaning machines are much more
powerful than those used in ordinary vaccuum cleaners. *I expect that a
strong wind up the drain pipe would carry even steel screw up and out of
the drain.

Or, at least, I'd try using a powerful vacuum before I took the p-trap
apart.

--
nestork

Uh, the vacuum exit on a truck mounted machine IS outside.

Plus you can easily put a few layers of cheese cloth over the tubes to
prevent the screws from going all the way up inside.
Or, a metal screenwire strainer, kitchen utensil. for extra support.

Dropped kurb DerbyBorn UK diy 39 June 19th 11 12:56 PM
How to differentiate PK (self-tapping) screws and chipboard screws? [email protected] UK diy 4 July 27th 09 06:00 PM
Using sheet metal, particle board, or drywall screws in wood, and help finding source for black wood screws John2005 Woodworking 10 June 19th 06 04:35 PM
Sheetmetal screws, chassis screws, fastening idears Proctologically Violated©® Metalworking 3 November 9th 05 06:29 AM
fake screws in shower drain: how to snake it!? David Combs Home Repair 2 November 1st 04 05:19 AM