Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT? Changing a tire without a jack

There are a few clever folks on this list- Wondering how many knew
about this trick, or think it is just 'Hollywood.

On this weeks Homeland, the guy got a flat on the front of a newish
SUV. no jack. So he found 2 handy pieces of firewood in the woods
[OK- *that* part is Hollywoodg] He laid one against what looked
like the transaxle, then made a T with the other one to use a brace.

Then he held the bracing block in place with a tire iron while someone
else drove the car forward, the first log bit into the dirt, and stood
up, raising the car enough to change the tire.

I don't know if I'd ever be desperate enough to try that but it might
give me something to ponder in an emergency.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/16/12 9:36 PM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
There are a few clever folks on this list- Wondering how many knew
about this trick, or think it is just 'Hollywood.

On this weeks Homeland, the guy got a flat on the front of a newish
SUV. no jack. So he found 2 handy pieces of firewood in the woods
[OK- *that* part is Hollywoodg] He laid one against what looked
like the transaxle, then made a T with the other one to use a brace.

Then he held the bracing block in place with a tire iron while someone
else drove the car forward, the first log bit into the dirt, and stood
up, raising the car enough to change the tire.

I don't know if I'd ever be desperate enough to try that but it might
give me something to ponder in an emergency.

Jim

Did you see the episode of One Car/Too Far where they used a log to
overcome a broken rear axle ?? Can be seen at:
http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/on.../log-wheel.htm
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 Oct 2012 21:36:48 -0400, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

There are a few clever folks on this list- Wondering how many knew
about this trick, or think it is just 'Hollywood.

On this weeks Homeland, the guy got a flat on the front of a newish
SUV. no jack. So he found 2 handy pieces of firewood in the woods
[OK- *that* part is Hollywoodg] He laid one against what looked
like the transaxle, then made a T with the other one to use a brace.

Then he held the bracing block in place with a tire iron while someone
else drove the car forward, the first log bit into the dirt, and stood
up, raising the car enough to change the tire.

I don't know if I'd ever be desperate enough to try that but it might
give me something to ponder in an emergency.

Jim

The best way is to get your overweight wife under the car. Then start
feeding her lots of fattening food. Watch the car go up!!!
(Or get her pregnant, while she's under the car, and wait 6 or 7 months
to change the tire)....

I once saw a guy replace a tire on a tractor, in a field. His little
floor jack was not strong enough to lift the tractor, and it broke.
Rather than buy a bigger and better jack, he blocked the tractor up,
then dug all the dirt out from under the tire. He later had to fill the
hole with the dirt. Seemed like a lot of work, but he did change the
tire.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 Oct 2012 22:13:56 -0400, Retired wrote:

[...]

I wish I had pictures.While I was working in Livingstone Zambia back
in the seventies I was driving a 1949 VW Beetle. I broke the shift
lever inside the "nose" of the transmission and needed to get under
the car and pull the engine/transmission back and remove the shift
housing, or "nose" of the transmission. I took the wheels off one
side, then jacked up the other side with levers (a couple of fence
posts and blocks of wood) and tipped the old beetle over on it's side
so I could work on it standing up. Took it apart, walked about 6km to
the school where I was able to reweld the part - then back to the car
to reassemble it and drop it back on it's wheels.

A few years earlier I was doing body work on my '63 Valiant and had
the bumpers off. I had a flat on a sunday afternoon, miles from home
and only had a bumper jack. I jacked it up by the lip of the trunk
lid (thankfully it was a rear tire) and jammed rocks and blocks of
wood under the axle in case the trunk lid bent.

About the same timeframe, I backed a 5 ton stake truck back the
shoulder of a road in the dark, across a side-road, and into a
drainage ditch which I did not know existed (off the end of a concrete
culvert) Using some old fence posts and planks I was able to liberate
from a nearby wood pile I fashioned a ramp and got it jammed under the
dual rear wheels dangling in mid air over the ditch and was able to
drive it out
Senior Member

I'm guessing the only reason why people prefer to use a jack is because of the higher survival rate.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
There are a few clever folks on this list- Wondering how many knew
about this trick, or think it is just 'Hollywood.

On this weeks Homeland, the guy got a flat on the front of a newish
SUV. no jack. So he found 2 handy pieces of firewood in the woods
[OK- *that* part is Hollywoodg] He laid one against what looked
like the transaxle, then made a T with the other one to use a brace.

Then he held the bracing block in place with a tire iron while someone
else drove the car forward, the first log bit into the dirt, and stood
up, raising the car enough to change the tire.

I don't know if I'd ever be desperate enough to try that but it might
give me something to ponder in an emergency.

Jim

Hi,
I'd just call road side assistance or AAA/CAA
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 Oct 2012 22:53:42 -0400, wrote:

[...]

The best story I have like this: I was helping put down the steel
reinforcing for an expressway in Chicago, and it was time to go to
lunch. Workers parked their cars just before the construction
started. In front of my car was a 7 foot pile of dirt, and I figured
I'd just drive my '50 Olds over the pile. I got a running start and
got 3 or 4 feet in and 2 feet up and it wouldn't go anymore. I got
out and all the wheels were off the ground, off the dirt.

I found the guy who drove the cherry picker and asked him for help.
He picked up the front and moved me back off the hill. The car was
fine because it had a a box frame ( O ) and an X-frame in the same
place.

Wait..... I guess I didn't do anything but ask for help. :-(
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 17, 2:39*am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
There are a few clever folks on this list- Wondering how many knew
about this trick, or think it is just 'Hollywood.

On this weeks Homeland, the guy got a flat on the front of a newish
SUV. *no jack. * * So he found 2 handy pieces of firewood in the woods
[OK- *that* part is Hollywoodg] * *He laid one against what looked
like the transaxle, then made a T with the other one to use a brace.

Then he held the bracing block in place with a tire iron while someone
else drove the car forward, the first log bit into the dirt, and stood
up, raising the car enough to change the tire.

I don't know if I'd ever be desperate enough to try that but it might
give me something to ponder in an emergency.

Jim

You'd need bits of wood exactly the right length for that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 Oct 2012 22:13:56 -0400, Retired wrote:

On 10/16/12 9:36 PM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
There are a few clever folks on this list- Wondering how many knew
about this trick, or think it is just 'Hollywood.

-snip-

Did you see the episode of One Car/Too Far where they used a log to
overcome a broken rear axle ?? Can be seen at:
http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/on.../log-wheel.htm

I've never seen the show-- But that is definitely cool--

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 Oct 2012 22:08:42 -0600, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
There are a few clever folks on this list- Wondering how many knew
about this trick, or think it is just 'Hollywood.

On this weeks Homeland, the guy got a flat on the front of a newish
SUV. no jack.

-snip-

I'd just call road side assistance or AAA/CAA

Not if you were a terrorist/congress critter who had another terrorist
in the car and were late for a speech.g

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

There are a few clever folks on this list- Wondering how many knew
about this trick, or think it is just 'Hollywood.

On this weeks Homeland, the guy got a flat on the front of a newish
SUV. no jack. So he found 2 handy pieces of firewood in the woods
[OK- *that* part is Hollywoodg] He laid one against what looked
like the transaxle, then made a T with the other one to use a brace.

Then he held the bracing block in place with a tire iron while someone
else drove the car forward, the first log bit into the dirt, and stood
up, raising the car enough to change the tire.

I don't know if I'd ever be desperate enough to try that but it might
give me something to ponder in an emergency.

Jim

I had a 1969 Datsun pickup yrs ago. I didn't like the scissor jack,
so I replaced it with a bottle jack, not knowing that when the tire
was flat, the bottle jack wouldn't fit under the chassis. I had a
flat on Hwy 5 in central CA , in ~110+ heat.

I ended up digging a hole with my rock hammer for the jack, then under
the tire. Took a while but, hey, 40 yrs later and I'm safe at home.

-Zz

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
There are a few clever folks on this list- Wondering how many knew
about this trick, or think it is just 'Hollywood.

On this weeks Homeland, the guy got a flat on the front of a newish
SUV. *no jack. * * So he found 2 handy pieces of firewood in the woods
[OK- *that* part is Hollywoodg] * *He laid one against what looked
like the transaxle, then made a T with the other one to use a brace.

Then he held the bracing block in place with a tire iron while someone
else drove the car forward, the first log bit into the dirt, and stood
up, raising the car enough to change the tire.

I don't know if I'd ever be desperate enough to try that but it might
give me something to ponder in an emergency.

Jim

Back on the farm all our trucks carried 2x6 blocks. Get a flat on an
outside dual,
one block, drive up on it and change tire. Reality is that it seemed
all flats were on the _inside_ dual.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 Oct 2012 07:21:34 -0400, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/on.../log-wheel.htm

I've never seen the show-- But that is definitely cool--

Jim

I think this is clever:

http://gizmodo.com/382099/exhaust-air-jack-lifts-your-car-with-a-toxic-balloon
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 16, 10:53*pm, wrote:
[...]

drive it out- Hide quoted text -

I backed a late 70's Toyota Tercel into a pot hole while parking in
NYC, dropping the rear passenger side wheel in far enough that the
chassis sat on the ground. This did not please the young lady who
owned the car, a young lady that I was trying to impress on our first
date. She didn't want to drive into Manhattan, so I offered to drive,
only to find myself staring at a very lopsided car.

Just as I was wondering how to get it out, a bar door opened and out
came 4 good sized construction workers. I called them over, hopped
into the driver's seat and they lifted the rear end so I could drive
forward enough to get out of the hole.

I didn't give up the parking spot that night and she didn't give up
anything - at least not to me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 Oct 2012 13:49:18 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote in
Re
OT? Changing a tire without a jack:

I backed a late 70's Toyota Tercel into a pot hole while parking in
NYC, dropping the rear passenger side wheel in far enough that the
chassis sat on the ground. This did not please the young lady who
owned the car, a young lady that I was trying to impress on our first
date. She didn't want to drive into Manhattan, so I offered to drive,
only to find myself staring at a very lopsided car.

Just as I was wondering how to get it out, a bar door opened and out
came 4 good sized construction workers. I called them over, hopped
into the driver's seat and they lifted the rear end so I could drive
forward enough to get out of the hole.

I didn't give up the parking spot that night and she didn't give up
anything - at least not to me.

After that show, I'll bet she was a *lot* more interested in the
construction workers. She knew who could care for her.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 Oct 2012 16:44:38 -0500, CRNG wrote:

[...]

I dunno, he managed to get them to do his work for him. He could be middle
management material.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 Oct 2012 00:29:18 -0700 (PDT), harry
wrote:

On Oct 17, 2:39Â*am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
There are a few clever folks on this list- Wondering how many knew
about this trick, or think it is just 'Hollywood.

On this weeks Homeland, the guy got a flat on the front of a newish
SUV. Â*no jack. Â* Â* So he found 2 handy pieces of firewood in the woods
[OK- *that* part is Hollywoodg] Â* Â*He laid one against what looked
like the transaxle, then made a T with the other one to use a brace.

Then he held the bracing block in place with a tire iron while someone
else drove the car forward, the first log bit into the dirt, and stood
up, raising the car enough to change the tire.

I don't know if I'd ever be desperate enough to try that but it might
give me something to ponder in an emergency.

Jim

You'd need bits of wood exactly the right length for that.

A large round of firewood and a four foot plank would do it a lot
easier.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/on.../log-wheel.htm

I've never seen the show-- But that is definitely cool--

Jim

I think this is clever:

http://gizmodo.com/382099/exhaust-air-jack-lifts-your-car-with-a-toxic-balloon

Several large truck recovery companies use the same principal to
right overturnrd rigs. The bag is inflated by the exhaust of the
tow-truck
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/on.../log-wheel.htm

I've never seen the show-- But that is definitely cool--

Jim

I think this is clever:

http://gizmodo.com/382099/exhaust-air-jack-lifts-your-car-with-a-toxic-balloon

Several large truck recovery companies use the same principal to
right overturnrd rigs. The bag is inflated by the exhaust of the
tow-truck

On a construction job where I was laying 4" PVC electrical conduit in
trenches, we used the exhaust from our 2.5 ton GMC diesel trucks to heat
the conduit so we could bend it by hand. There are all sorts of uses for
waste heat and hot gasses. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

That's the kind of mistake I would make.

flat on Hwy 5 in central CA , in ~110+ heat.

I ended up digging a hole with my rock hammer for the jack, then under
the tire. Took a while but, hey, 40 yrs later and I'm safe at home.

-Zz

Great story.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

There are a few clever folks on this list- Wondering how many knew
about this trick, or think it is just 'Hollywood.

On this weeks Homeland, the guy got a flat on the front of a newish
SUV. no jack. So he found 2 handy pieces of firewood in the woods
[OK- *that* part is Hollywoodg] He laid one against what looked
like the transaxle, then made a T with the other one to use a brace.

Then he held the bracing block in place with a tire iron while someone
else drove the car forward, the first log bit into the dirt, and stood
up, raising the car enough to change the tire.

I don't know if I'd ever be desperate enough to try that but it might
give me something to ponder in an emergency.

Here is one way, I wouldn't recommend it though.
http://imgur.com/gallery/iHrp2

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Elbrecht wrote in
:

There are a few clever folks on this list- Wondering how many knew
about this trick, or think it is just 'Hollywood.

On this weeks Homeland, the guy got a flat on the front of a newish
SUV. no jack. So he found 2 handy pieces of firewood in the woods
[OK- *that* part is Hollywoodg] He laid one against what looked
like the transaxle, then made a T with the other one to use a brace.

Then he held the bracing block in place with a tire iron while someone
else drove the car forward, the first log bit into the dirt, and stood
up, raising the car enough to change the tire.

I don't know if I'd ever be desperate enough to try that but it might
give me something to ponder in an emergency.

Jim

Should have just asked the "while someone else " to use their jack.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 20 Oct 2012 21:19:10 +0000 (UTC), Red Green
wrote:

Jim Elbrecht wrote in
:

There are a few clever folks on this list- Wondering how many knew
about this trick, or think it is just 'Hollywood.

On this weeks Homeland, the guy got a flat on the front of a newish
SUV. no jack. So he found 2 handy pieces of firewood in the woods
[OK- *that* part is Hollywoodg] He laid one against what looked
like the transaxle, then made a T with the other one to use a brace.

Then he held the bracing block in place with a tire iron while someone
else drove the car forward, the first log bit into the dirt, and stood
up, raising the car enough to change the tire.

I don't know if I'd ever be desperate enough to try that but it might
give me something to ponder in an emergency.

Jim

Should have just asked the "while someone else " to use their jack.

Or call AA
Posted to alt.home.repair

Metspitzer wrote:
On Sat, 20 Oct 2012 21:19:10 +0000 (UTC), Red Green
wrote:

Jim Elbrecht wrote in
:

There are a few clever folks on this list- Wondering how many knew
about this trick, or think it is just 'Hollywood.

On this weeks Homeland, the guy got a flat on the front of a newish
SUV. no jack. So he found 2 handy pieces of firewood in the woods
[OK- *that* part is Hollywoodg] He laid one against what looked
like the transaxle, then made a T with the other one to use a brace.

Then he held the bracing block in place with a tire iron while someone
else drove the car forward, the first log bit into the dirt, and stood
up, raising the car enough to change the tire.

I don't know if I'd ever be desperate enough to try that but it might
give me something to ponder in an emergency.

Jim

Should have just asked the "while someone else " to use their jack.

Or call AA

alcoholics change tires as part of their rehab?

;-p

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 20 Oct 2012 19:16:04 -0400, Metspitzer
wrote:

On Sat, 20 Oct 2012 21:19:10 +0000 (UTC), Red Green
wrote:

Jim Elbrecht wrote in
m:

There are a few clever folks on this list- Wondering how many knew
about this trick, or think it is just 'Hollywood.

On this weeks Homeland, the guy got a flat on the front of a newish
SUV. no jack. So he found 2 handy pieces of firewood in the woods
[OK- *that* part is Hollywoodg] He laid one against what looked
like the transaxle, then made a T with the other one to use a brace.

Then he held the bracing block in place with a tire iron while someone
else drove the car forward, the first log bit into the dirt, and stood
up, raising the car enough to change the tire.

I don't know if I'd ever be desperate enough to try that but it might
give me something to ponder in an emergency.

Jim

Should have just asked the "while someone else " to use their jack.

Or call AA

When driving out of cell range, or without a cell.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:
Jim Elbrecht wrote in
:

There are a few clever folks on this list- Wondering how many knew
about this trick, or think it is just 'Hollywood.

On this weeks Homeland, the guy got a flat on the front of a newish
SUV. no jack. So he found 2 handy pieces of firewood in the woods
[OK- *that* part is Hollywoodg] He laid one against what looked
like the transaxle, then made a T with the other one to use a brace.

Then he held the bracing block in place with a tire iron while someone
else drove the car forward, the first log bit into the dirt, and stood
up, raising the car enough to change the tire.

I don't know if I'd ever be desperate enough to try that but it might
give me something to ponder in an emergency.

Jim

Should have just asked the "while someone else " to use their jack.

Seems to me that the "while someone else" was a passenger in the SUV that
got the flat.
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

Red Green wrote:
Jim Elbrecht wrote in
:

[...]

Post left reader to make assumptions. People often overlook the obvious.
Bar tricks (not ho's) notorious for that.