Posted to alt.home.repair
leonard hofstadter leonard hofstadter is offline

Default OT? Changing a tire without a jack

Metspitzer wrote:
On Sat, 20 Oct 2012 21:19:10 +0000 (UTC), Red Green
wrote:

Jim Elbrecht wrote in
:

There are a few clever folks on this list- Wondering how many knew
about this trick, or think it is just 'Hollywood.

On this weeks Homeland, the guy got a flat on the front of a newish
SUV. no jack. So he found 2 handy pieces of firewood in the woods
[OK- *that* part is Hollywoodg] He laid one against what looked
like the transaxle, then made a T with the other one to use a brace.

Then he held the bracing block in place with a tire iron while someone
else drove the car forward, the first log bit into the dirt, and stood
up, raising the car enough to change the tire.

I don't know if I'd ever be desperate enough to try that but it might
give me something to ponder in an emergency.

Jim

Should have just asked the "while someone else " to use their jack.

Or call AA

alcoholics change tires as part of their rehab?

;-p