Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K[_2_] Harry K[_2_] is offline

Default OT? Changing a tire without a jack

On Oct 17, 7:38*am, "Bob F" wrote:
This is way easier.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS0PMcRNOCo

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
There are a few clever folks on this list- Wondering how many knew
about this trick, or think it is just 'Hollywood.

On this weeks Homeland, the guy got a flat on the front of a newish
SUV. *no jack. * * So he found 2 handy pieces of firewood in the woods
[OK- *that* part is Hollywoodg] * *He laid one against what looked
like the transaxle, then made a T with the other one to use a brace.

Then he held the bracing block in place with a tire iron while someone
else drove the car forward, the first log bit into the dirt, and stood
up, raising the car enough to change the tire.

I don't know if I'd ever be desperate enough to try that but it might
give me something to ponder in an emergency.

Jim

Back on the farm all our trucks carried 2x6 blocks. Get a flat on an
outside dual,
one block, drive up on it and change tire. Reality is that it seemed
all flats were on the _inside_ dual.

Harry K