Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Misleading TV Ads

For the past few weeks I've been seeing TV ads for a Bell and Howell
"Iscope" Which I agree looks like it really could be a handy tool to
have around the house or workshop.

But, what gets to me is that the ad states that the LEDs will give you
over 100,000 hours of reliable light.

That, no doubt is the expected life of the LEDs themselves, before they
"burn out", but there's no way on G_d's green earth that the batteries
in that small handle will keep the LEDs lit that long.

So, isn't it very "false advertising" to state it that way without any
mention of the "battery life".

I have no doubt that SWMBO and a lot of other non-techie types would
think that light could last them "for life".

They say it the same way on their web page, with nary a mention of
battery life:

https://www.buyiscope.com/

As if that isn't enough, the web page ad writers prolly know nothing
about magnetism and say the unit will attach to "any" metal surface and
pick jewelry out of drains. I doubt that much jewelry, even "costume"
stuff is made using magnetic materials.

It's an evil world out there.

Jeff (Grumpy on Sunday)
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 14 Oct 2012 17:27:05 -0400, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

For the past few weeks I've been seeing TV ads for a Bell and Howell
"Iscope" Which I agree looks like it really could be a handy tool to
have around the house or workshop.

But, what gets to me is that the ad states that the LEDs will give you
over 100,000 hours of reliable light.

That, no doubt is the expected life of the LEDs themselves, before they
"burn out", but there's no way on G_d's green earth that the batteries
in that small handle will keep the LEDs lit that long.

So, isn't it very "false advertising" to state it that way without any
mention of the "battery life".

It's an evil world out there.

Evil, yes, misleading, questionable. I saw an emergency lantern
advertised the same way. I did not think it "false advertising" at
all. It is a fact and 100% true. There is no law, nor should there
be, against stating the attributes of a product being advertised.

Now I do agree that many people lack the common sense to think it
through. Hopefully, it will be a learning experience for them.

I did buy an LED light a few months back that claims battery life of
72 hours on high, 144 on low. Safer and brighter than kerosene lamps,
I'll probably get another.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 14 Oct 2012 17:39:05 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

It's an evil world out there.

Evil, yes, misleading, questionable. I saw an emergency lantern
advertised the same way. I did not think it "false advertising" at
all. It is a fact and 100% true. There is no law, nor should there
be, against stating the attributes of a product being advertised.

That emergency lantern is made from "genuine metal." What the hell is
metal that isn't genuine?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Leds do last a long time but better ads will give out light in lumens.
I've got an led lantern with maybe 20 leds that you cannot even read by.

Can you find it at their website?

https://www.oldelantern.com/

I've got led flashlights with only one led that must put out 10 times as
much light.

As for Bell and Howell I remember that they used to sell good quality
stuff but now have been reduced to these junk TV products.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, October 14, 2012 5:27:07 PM UTC-4, Jeff Wisnia wrote:
But, what gets to me is that the ad states that the LEDs will give you
over 100,000 hours of reliable light.

That, no doubt is the expected life of the LEDs themselves, before they
"burn out", but there's no way on G_d's green earth that the batteries
in that small handle will keep the LEDs lit that long.

While I'm probably a more knowledgeable than the average consumer, I thought it was fairly straightforward that they meant the life of the LED and it didn't seem that they were implying that the batteries would last that long.. It would certainly take quite a leap of faith to believe that. At worst, it wasn't nearly as blatantly deceptive as some of the other ads I've seen.

Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

I think you meant either 1.8e12 or 1.8*10^12. If 1.8*10e12 means anything at all, it would be a power of 10 higher than you meant (1.8*10*(10^12))...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/14/12 07:03 pm, Gordon Shumway wrote:

It's an evil world out there.

Evil, yes, misleading, questionable. I saw an emergency lantern
advertised the same way. I did not think it "false advertising" at
all. It is a fact and 100% true. There is no law, nor should there
be, against stating the attributes of a product being advertised.

That emergency lantern is made from "genuine metal." What the hell is
metal that isn't genuine?

Stuff that looks like metal but turns out to be plastic (ABS?) with a
metallic-looking coating.

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message
That emergency lantern is made from "genuine metal." What the hell is
metal that isn't genuine?

Stuff that looks like metal but turns out to be plastic (ABS?) with a
metallic-looking coating.

Sort of like a car I had years ago. I think some of the trim was tinfoil
and coated with plastic. Maybe it was just bright plastic covered with more
plastic.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff Wisnia wrote:
[...]

Most of the led ratings are for LEDs run at conservative ratings. If it get
warm, it's over conservative ratings. Hardly any led lighting, is run
conservatively. Count on mabe 5k-10k hours life.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

One LED light I got, advertised 30 hour run time on a change of batteries. I
found 3 hours to be realistic. I wrote the seller, who replied "depends on
the quality of the batteries". Clueless seller.

That's a long life. D cells, maybe? IIRC something like that at Home Depot?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

I did buy an LED light a few months back that claims battery life of
72 hours on high, 144 on low. Safer and brighter than kerosene lamps,
I'll probably get another.

Posted to alt.home.repair

My pet peeve is "needs no electricity; runs on
batteries". So, does it eat, digest, and then
poop the batteries?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Gordon Shumway" wrote in message

That emergency lantern is made from "genuine metal."
What the hell is metal that isn't genuine?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

For the past few weeks I've been seeing TV ads for a Bell and Howell
"Iscope" Which I agree looks like it really could be a handy tool to
have around the house or workshop.

But, what gets to me is that the ad states that the LEDs will give you
over 100,000 hours of reliable light.

That, no doubt is the expected life of the LEDs themselves, before they
"burn out", but there's no way on G_d's green earth that the batteries
in that small handle will keep the LEDs lit that long.

So, isn't it very "false advertising" to state it that way without any
mention of the "battery life".

Maybe not. What do you think about Cancer Treatment Centers of
America, which advertise all the time and count good nutrition as a
treatment for cancer. They say "I got my life back" but don't then
mean just that they feel more confident but die the same month they
whould have?

I have no doubt that SWMBO and a lot of other non-techie types would
think that light could last them "for life".

They say it the same way on their web page, with nary a mention of
battery life:

https://www.buyiscope.com/

I looked but it kept talking and interfering with my web radio, listen
live, so I had to close the tab.

As if that isn't enough, the web page ad writers prolly know nothing
about magnetism and say the unit will attach to "any" metal surface and
pick jewelry out of drains. I doubt that much jewelry, even "costume"
stuff is made using magnetic materials.

I knew a woman on the Bowery who had only steel jewelry.

It's an evil world out there.

Jeff (Grumpy on Sunday)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 14 Oct 2012 20:10:50 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"
wrote:

On 10/14/12 07:03 pm, Gordon Shumway wrote:

It's an evil world out there.

Evil, yes, misleading, questionable. I saw an emergency lantern
advertised the same way. I did not think it "false advertising" at
all. It is a fact and 100% true. There is no law, nor should there
be, against stating the attributes of a product being advertised.

That emergency lantern is made from "genuine metal." What the hell is
metal that isn't genuine?

Stuff that looks like metal but turns out to be plastic (ABS?) with a
metallic-looking coating.

Perce

What about the things made of genuine leatherette, genuine faux pearl,
and genuine plastic.
Posted to alt.home.repair

--

There's a countertop display of these at my local industrial tool store.
I'd buy one, but it uses some non-standard batteries. No reason I can
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 14 Oct 2012 22:04:08 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

There's a countertop display of these at my local industrial tool store.
I'd buy one, but it uses some non-standard batteries. No reason I can
see for not using AA or AAA. Can't remember exactly, but maybe it was a
coin-cell stack. No way I'd buy one given that idiocy.

Takes four LR44 batteries. They are readily available for $1 each.
I'm not sure why that is idiocy though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 10/14/12 07:03 pm, Gordon Shumway wrote:

It's an evil world out there.

Evil, yes, misleading, questionable. I saw an emergency lantern
advertised the same way. I did not think it "false advertising" at
all. It is a fact and 100% true. There is no law, nor should there
be, against stating the attributes of a product being advertised.

That emergency lantern is made from "genuine metal." What the hell is
metal that isn't genuine?

Stuff that looks like metal but turns out to be plastic (ABS?) with a
metallic-looking coating.

Perce

What about the things made of genuine leatherette, genuine faux pearl,
and genuine plastic.

Or the coins "Clad in 18k Gold" by the Kinda Sorta Sounds Official Mint.
the *******s."-- Claire Wolfe

Posted to alt.home.repair

Gordon Shumway wrote:
On Sun, 14 Oct 2012 17:39:05 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

It's an evil world out there.

Evil, yes, misleading, questionable. I saw an emergency lantern
advertised the same way. I did not think it "false advertising" at
all. It is a fact and 100% true. There is no law, nor should there
be, against stating the attributes of a product being advertised.

That emergency lantern is made from "genuine metal." What the hell is
metal that isn't genuine?

Plated plastic.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Maybe just ready for a change? Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/14/2012 5:27 PM, Jeff Wisnia wrote:

[...]

Thats the same conclusion I had after seeing that commercial. It states
the unit as shipped gives "100,000 hours of reliable light". Making me
wonder what sort of battery technology they were using.

An honest commercial might tout "the "bulb" in our "miracle light" lasts
for up to 100,000 hrs."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/14/2012 07:30 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message
That emergency lantern is made from "genuine metal." What the hell is
metal that isn't genuine?

Stuff that looks like metal but turns out to be plastic (ABS?) with a
metallic-looking coating.

Sort of like a car I had years ago. I think some of the trim was tinfoil
and coated with plastic. Maybe it was just bright plastic covered with more
plastic.

Recently, a door handle (inside driver's side) on my truck broke. It was
made of that fake metal (plastic made to look like metal).

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"It's called religion. It's when you believe something that nobody in
his right mind would believe." -- Archie Bunker
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

There's a countertop display of these at my local industrial tool store.
I'd buy one, but it uses some non-standard batteries. No reason I can
see for not using AA or AAA. Can't remember exactly, but maybe it was a
coin-cell stack. No way I'd buy one given that idiocy.

Takes four LR44 batteries. They are readily available for $1 each.
I'm not sure why that is idiocy though.

Reason 1 why it's idiocy:

I keep AAs, AAAs, D-cells, C-cells, and 9-volts in stock. I ain't adding
to that just to power one gadget.

Reason 2 why it's idiocy:

mAh
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

They never say they were cured, just that they got good care.

I have no doubt that SWMBO and a lot of other non-techie types would
think that light could last them "for life".

They say it the same way on their web page, with nary a mention of
battery life:

https://www.buyiscope.com/

I looked but it kept talking and interfering with my web radio, listen
live, so I had to close the tab.
As if that isn't enough, the web page ad writers prolly know nothing
about magnetism and say the unit will attach to "any" metal surface and
pick jewelry out of drains. I doubt that much jewelry, even "costume"
stuff is made using magnetic materials.

I knew a woman on the Bowery who had only steel jewelry.
It's an evil world out there.

Jeff (Grumpy on Sunday)

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd put the house up for sale and sell it to a REALLY MISERABLE
person. Give the old coot some of his own medicine!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Larry Fishel wrote:

I think you meant either 1.8e12 or 1.8*10^12. If 1.8*10e12 means anything at all, it would be a power of 10 higher than you meant (1.8*10*(10^12))...

Thanks for spotting my goof. I've had that sig for at least two years
and you are the first person nice enough to point that out.

Jeff

P.S. I haven't seen the name Fishel in about 65 years. I had an uncle
named Fishel Soloman who owned The Owl Cleaners and Tailors on Castro
Street in San Francisco in the 1940s and 50s.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Senior Member

I looked at that iScope web page too, and to be fair it says that the iScope "comes with batteries". No where does it say that the batteries can't be replaced until the LED's eventually fail, thereby providing the 100,000 hours of "reliable light" claimed.

I wouldn't call any of what I read "false" or even "misleading". It wouldn't be reasonable for anyone to presume that the original batteries that come with it will last as long as the tool would.

What I find more difficult to ignore is that the web site gives the buyer the opportunity to upgrade. Instead of buying two iScopes for $14.95 + S&H, the buyer has the option of buying two Deluxe iScopes for $24.95 + S&H.

But, no where on that page do they tell you what the difference between an iScope and a Deluxe iScope is. I'm inclined to think that they avoid that issue because they don't want you to know that a Deluxe iScope is one they've checked to confirm works properly before they send it. The "Deluxe" in the name implies it's better in some respect, and that could include reliability. If it worked properly for them, it's more likely to work properly for you than an iScope that wasn't tested before shipping.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 15 Oct 2012 11:44:23 -0400, willshak
wrote:

So, isn't it very "false advertising" to state it that way without any
mention of the "battery life".

Maybe not. What do you think about Cancer Treatment Centers of
America, which advertise all the time and count good nutrition as a
treatment for cancer. They say "I got my life back" but don't then
mean just that they feel more confident but die the same month they
whould have?

They never say they were cured, just that they got good care.

Used to be but after a year or two they put someone on who said she
was cured. It was probably a fluke or a coincidence. I don't
understand why I don't find them along with scam in a google search.
Maytbe the spouses are all too old and depressed after wasting
thousands on snake oil.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 15 Oct 2012 19:44:35 -0400, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

Larry Fishel wrote:

I think you meant either 1.8e12 or 1.8*10^12. If 1.8*10e12 means anything at all, it would be a power of 10 higher than you meant (1.8*10*(10^12))...

Thanks for spotting my goof. I've had that sig for at least two years
and you are the first person nice enough to point that out.

Jeff

P.S. I haven't seen the name Fishel in about 65 years. I had an uncle
named Fishel Soloman who owned The Owl Cleaners and Tailors on Castro
Street in San Francisco in the 1940s and 50s.

Jeff

There is a Fishel or Fischel family in Washington DC that have a
catering business that they call O'Fishel, because it's almost
official.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 15, 6:37*am, Kurt Ullman wrote:
Or the coins "Clad in 18k Gold" by the Kinda Sorta Sounds Official Mint.
--

The price per ounce comes out to around $39,000 with clad.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Gordon Shumway" wrote

That emergency lantern is made from "genuine metal." What the hell is
metal that isn't genuine?

As opposed to plastic that is made to look like metal. Gee, you don't need
a degree to figure this out, do you?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Anyone who believes ANY Tv commercials is an idiot!