Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default Misleading TV Ads

micky wrote the following on 10/14/2012 9:31 PM (ET):
On Sun, 14 Oct 2012 17:27:05 -0400, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

For the past few weeks I've been seeing TV ads for a Bell and Howell
"Iscope" Which I agree looks like it really could be a handy tool to
have around the house or workshop.

But, what gets to me is that the ad states that the LEDs will give you
over 100,000 hours of reliable light.

That, no doubt is the expected life of the LEDs themselves, before they
"burn out", but there's no way on G_d's green earth that the batteries
in that small handle will keep the LEDs lit that long.

So, isn't it very "false advertising" to state it that way without any
mention of the "battery life".

Maybe not. What do you think about Cancer Treatment Centers of
America, which advertise all the time and count good nutrition as a
treatment for cancer. They say "I got my life back" but don't then
mean just that they feel more confident but die the same month they
whould have?

They never say they were cured, just that they got good care.

I have no doubt that SWMBO and a lot of other non-techie types would
think that light could last them "for life".

They say it the same way on their web page, with nary a mention of
battery life:

https://www.buyiscope.com/

I looked but it kept talking and interfering with my web radio, listen
live, so I had to close the tab.
As if that isn't enough, the web page ad writers prolly know nothing
about magnetism and say the unit will attach to "any" metal surface and
pick jewelry out of drains. I doubt that much jewelry, even "costume"
stuff is made using magnetic materials.

I knew a woman on the Bowery who had only steel jewelry.
It's an evil world out there.

Jeff (Grumpy on Sunday)

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683