Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_13_] Frank[_13_] is offline

Default Misleading TV Ads

On 10/14/2012 5:39 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Sun, 14 Oct 2012 17:27:05 -0400, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

For the past few weeks I've been seeing TV ads for a Bell and Howell
"Iscope" Which I agree looks like it really could be a handy tool to
have around the house or workshop.

But, what gets to me is that the ad states that the LEDs will give you
over 100,000 hours of reliable light.

That, no doubt is the expected life of the LEDs themselves, before they
"burn out", but there's no way on G_d's green earth that the batteries
in that small handle will keep the LEDs lit that long.

So, isn't it very "false advertising" to state it that way without any
mention of the "battery life".

It's an evil world out there.

Evil, yes, misleading, questionable. I saw an emergency lantern
advertised the same way. I did not think it "false advertising" at
all. It is a fact and 100% true. There is no law, nor should there
be, against stating the attributes of a product being advertised.

Now I do agree that many people lack the common sense to think it
through. Hopefully, it will be a learning experience for them.

I did buy an LED light a few months back that claims battery life of
72 hours on high, 144 on low. Safer and brighter than kerosene lamps,
I'll probably get another.

Leds do last a long time but better ads will give out light in lumens.
I've got an led lantern with maybe 20 leds that you cannot even read by.

Can you find it at their website?

https://www.oldelantern.com/

I've got led flashlights with only one led that must put out 10 times as
much light.

As for Bell and Howell I remember that they used to sell good quality
stuff but now have been reduced to these junk TV products.